RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 12-09-14, 05:22 PM
ganglandstyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm catching up on this thread very late--I bought a 2010 RX350 FWD with 40K miles for a very low price and today it is at the Lexus dealer (Sewell in Dallas) for a few routine maintenance items. In common with others earlier in this thread, I noticed that the service loaner (2014 RX350 FWD) has a much smoother ride and the steering is much "looser" than my 2010 model.

I'm having the service tech look at the car and drive it around the block. Has it been established that there was a rear suspension dchange in the 3rd gen model during the 2010 model year?

Were any changes made to the steering/front suspension? Do the KYB shocks improve the ride? I guess if I try the kitty litter solution I should avoid the pine scented varieties?
Old 12-09-14, 06:07 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tqh
Pardon my ignorance, I am completely new to this shock absorber thing
My stupid question is: do shocks have specs like tires so that as long as we can find shocks with the same specs (length and ends?), we can replace?
As far as I know, shocks are advertised as soft (smooth), medium and hard-riding (sports) and adjustable. That being said, I bought smooth-riding shocks for my Avalon a few years ago and they were so stiff I couldn't push the rear of the car down, much less wait for it to bounce back. In other words, the stuff we read printed by Les Schwab and Monroe, for example, don't mean diddly squat to me. I would take the word of someone on this forum before believing any spec sheet from a manufacturer.
I would love to hear from someone on this forum that was able to get the rear end of an RX 3rd generation to ride smoothly, especially 2010-11-12.
Ray A.
Old 12-10-14, 09:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
As far as I know, shocks are advertised as soft (smooth), medium and hard-riding (sports) and adjustable. That being said, I bought smooth-riding shocks for my Avalon a few years ago and they were so stiff I couldn't push the rear of the car down, much less wait for it to bounce back. In other words, the stuff we read printed by Les Schwab and Monroe, for example, don't mean diddly squat to me. I would take the word of someone on this forum before believing any spec sheet from a manufacturer.
I would love to hear from someone on this forum that was able to get the rear end of an RX 3rd generation to ride smoothly, especially 2010-11-12.
Ray A.
I have noticed that tire pressure has a big affect on how it rides. I keep mine at 32 cold during the summer months and it rides very good on that setting
Old 12-11-14, 04:10 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 leaking rear shocks

Today I took my CPO 2010 RX 350 for the 1st complimentary oil change. While servicing the car, they noticed that the rear shocks were leaking. Service Advisor said it would drip slowly but not puddle in the garage. He stated it was a known problem so it would be covered under the Platinum extended warranty, but they would need to order them and they are backordered.
So if you have a 2010, maybe have your service department check your rear shocks for leaks..
Old 12-11-14, 05:38 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kahuna - they changed 1 rear shock on my 2010 CPO before I purchased it. I guess I will need to watch the other one.
Old 12-12-14, 07:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by doc307
Kahuna - they changed 1 rear shock on my 2010 CPO before I purchased it. I guess I will need to watch the other one.
you should always replace shocks in pairs. im surprised they didn't do it that way?
Old 12-13-14, 07:24 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray A.
I have the 2012. And just today I was thinking that I had solved the hard rear issue in the simplest of ways. I had not had that jarring effect that is so horrible.

I put about 100 lbs of sand/kitty litter in the back area. As far rear as I could and also evenly distributed across the floor. In other words, one layer, rather than bags stacked on the sides.

It may even be only 80 pounds. I keep meaning to add the bags weight up.

But for me, it is a minor miracle. A MUCH better handling car. Very noticeable.

It is a much more enjoyable car to ride in.

Tires are 18 inch Michelin. Pressure about 32.

It is the weight that made the difference.

I hope this can help someone else.
Old 12-15-14, 09:39 PM
raylor4
Instructor

I put about 100 lbs of sand/kitty litter in the back area. As far rear as I could and also evenly distributed across the floor. In other words, one layer, rather than bags stacked on the sides.

I am going to try this method. Are you saying the sand is against the rear hatch? That would be as far to the rear as possible.
Ray A.
Old 12-16-14, 12:08 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I am going to try this method. Are you saying the sand is against the rear hatch? That would be as far to the rear as possible.
Ray A.
Yes, 86 pounds. Along the side of the back "trunk space and touching the liftgate. More or less spread evenly across from the wheel wells to the place where the lift gate comes into contact whit the "floor".

But by all means try them in different spots. What got me started on this was that someone in this thread mentioned in some form or another that the shocks were "cancelling out" each other or some words like that. It hit me that this could be EXACTLY what was happening. So instead of dampening the bumps they were almost magnifying the bumps. So, I figured it was worth a shot.

I actually do not worry about the ride anymore Maybe not Rolls Royce smooth, but good enough that I consider the problem solved and can get on with my life

Best of luck to you. Also keep in mind I am the sole driver of the car. So I am the only person in it 98% of the time. Different weights/placements may work better for those with a passenger and/or backseat passengers.
Old 12-16-14, 10:17 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Best of luck to you. Also keep in mind I am the sole driver of the car. So I am the only person in it 98% of the time. Different weights/placements may work better for those with a passenger and/or backseat passengers.

I had four passengers today and the car rode smooth as a baby's a**. I think I'll hire four people to ride around with me forever. : )
Seriously, thanks for the added weight tip. I think the factory shocks are spec'd out for a heavier car, and adding weight changes the valving point within the shock, therefore giving a smoother ride. I think I'll buy 2-4 bags of 80# play sand, and if that works, maybe there's a junkyard that sells lead cheap.
Old 12-18-14, 09:44 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I am very glad someone else is able to benefit from this "fix". It really does seem to work. I am sure a person could experiment with exact weight and placements further if they so desired.

I will be using up the kitty litter, sand bags will be next Or maybe something else this awesome forum comes up with

Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-20-14, 04:41 PM
jves002
Driver School Candidate

I bought a slightly used '13 RX 350 AWD a month ago. I was quite surprised at the rougher ride and squeaks and rattles that come with it. I had an '07 ES 350 that was wonderfully quiet and smooth. My RX has 19" wheels that may be contributing to the rougher ride. Geez - I want to love my new Lexus!
Old 12-20-14, 05:50 PM
jves002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree with you. While the newer RX's may not ride as soft as the older models I don't consider the the ride in the new RX harsh at all..

As a matter of fact my wife's F-Sport obviously rides firmer than a reg RX but it by no means feels harsh at all, even over speed bumps..

And I think you may be right in that it my be hard to find a current SUV that rides as soft as the older RX's.
I have a '13 RX w 19" tires which I also find quite rough on bumpy roads. I drove a Lincoln MKX before buying the Lexus and I thought the ride on the MKX was very comfortable (more so than my newly purchased RX)
Old 12-21-14, 08:15 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

I am always amazed at the magic carpet ride of my 2007 RX350. I did test drive a 2013 RX, but didn't notice any uncomfortable aspects in the ride qualities - rather the more clinical interior than in the 2007, left me cold. As the RX was always primarily aimed at the US market, I took it that the engineers would go for a compliant ride. Can it be that they went for a firmer ride on the latest models? Suffice to say the longer I have the 2007, the more I like it.
Old 12-21-14, 12:39 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

See this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...pension-8.html

80-100 lbs of sand in the back worked for me. Could not be happier. Might work for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)