RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 08:58 AM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its to bad Lexus doesn't step up to the plate and do the right thing and address this complaint for a supposedly luxury ride SUV. I bought my 2015 RX350 Awd based on the Lexus luxury ride reputation. I read all the responses about its probably my fault for not taking a test ride on rougher roads, I bought this for my wife based on the Lexus name and just thought the tires were over inflated. I made a big mistake for not taking any other brands for a test ride and buying the Lexus based on the name. I have a 2012 Avalanche and this truck rides better then the Lexus, if we go out with another couple I take the Avalanche because I'm embarrassed with the Lexus ride. I spent $750.00 to exchange the Dunlops for the Bridgestone tires which did help the ride, but not enough. We will only keep this Lexus for a few years so we don't take such a big hit on trading it in on a different brand, I'm glad its not my daily vehicle and my wife only drives about 6000 miles a year. Lexus save your hard ride for the Sport and put the correct springs on the RX350 model, this will be my first and last LEXUS.
Old 11-10-14, 03:47 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garygve
Its to bad Lexus doesn't step up to the plate and do the right thing and address this complaint for a supposedly luxury ride SUV. I bought my 2015 RX350 Awd based on the Lexus luxury ride reputation. I read all the responses about its probably my fault for not taking a test ride on rougher roads, I bought this for my wife based on the Lexus name and just thought the tires were over inflated. I made a big mistake for not taking any other brands for a test ride and buying the Lexus based on the name. I have a 2012 Avalanche and this truck rides better then the Lexus, if we go out with another couple I take the Avalanche because I'm embarrassed with the Lexus ride. I spent $750.00 to exchange the Dunlops for the Bridgestone tires which did help the ride, but not enough. We will only keep this Lexus for a few years so we don't take such a big hit on trading it in on a different brand, I'm glad its not my daily vehicle and my wife only drives about 6000 miles a year. Lexus save your hard ride for the Sport and put the correct springs on the RX350 model, this will be my first and last LEXUS.
I agree with all of the above. Lexus did something very wrong. And they owe us a fix. I will not be getting another one until they own up to this and fix it.
Old 11-10-14, 05:35 PM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dave,
I'm going to try and check with a Lexus parts dealer to see what the spring part numbers are from a generation two, I think they would fit the generation three unless it has a different suspension and won't fit. I like the RX350 except for the ride, if you find out anything on springs let me know. I think the shocks are the same but will verify that. I would rather spend some money now and keep the RX350 if I can correct the hard ride. Its too bad I have to spend $ on a new vehicle but I made the mistake of not trying it out on rough roads and put to much trust in the Lexus name, live and learn.
Old 11-10-14, 06:48 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Hi Dave,
I'm going to try and check with a Lexus parts dealer to see what the spring part numbers are from a generation two, I think they would fit the generation three unless it has a different suspension and won't fit. I like the RX350 except for the ride, if you find out anything on springs let me know. I think the shocks are the same but will verify that. I would rather spend some money now and keep the RX350 if I can correct the hard ride. Its too bad I have to spend $ on a new vehicle but I made the mistake of not trying it out on rough roads and put to much trust in the Lexus name, live and learn.
For many cars there are suspension "kits" that will work to change their ride. I have not found ANY for the RX350. No shocks that are advertised to correct the ride, not after market "springs" either.

I even think this situation should be a factory recall/fix. The emperor has no clothes. Lexus take note. Something is radically wrong. Gonna look at BMW. A "stiff" ride is one thing. A HARSH ride is another thing.
Old 11-10-14, 10:08 PM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

I just checked Sewell parts site they don't have the 2015 suspension parts listed yet but here is what I found.

2013 and 2014 have the same # for the front and rear coil springs.
The front strut and rear shocks have a different # for 2013 and 2014.
I assume the 2015 will have the same # but don't know for sure till they update their site.

2010-2012 have the same # for struts, shocks. and coil springs.
The coil springs, struts, and shocks could all be the same from 2010-2014 and they just changed the # but I don't know why they kept the same # for the 2010-2012 and then changed for 2013 and 2014. Did they make stiffer springs from 2010-2012 and soften them for 2013-2015 or just the opposite?

The 2009 rear suspension uses a strut and the 2010-2015 uses a coil with a separate shock so they would not be interchangeable.
I think the front springs and strut from a 2009 would fit the third generation RX350 which should help the front suspension ride, so that's the information that I have for now I will post any new information that I can find.
Old 11-11-14, 12:06 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Great work. It does get rather confusing at some point. (not your work, just the subtlety of it all )

For my part, it is the rear suspension that seems to be causing me 90% of the discomfort. I had not given the front suspension hardly any thought at all. Must be doing its job.

Just had a crazy thought. Would maybe a 50 or 75 pound weight in the right place in the rear of the car simply dampen things enough to make a big difference? I have been told that the Hybrid rides much better. And it has electric motors in the back that probably weigh in that range. Just a longshot, but sometimes a simple fix can actually be had.
Old 11-11-14, 08:36 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Great work. It does get rather confusing at some point. (not your work, just the subtlety of it all )

For my part, it is the rear suspension that seems to be causing me 90% of the discomfort. I had not given the front suspension hardly any thought at all. Must be doing its job.

Just had a crazy thought. Would maybe a 50 or 75 pound weight in the right place in the rear of the car simply dampen things enough to make a big difference? I have been told that the Hybrid rides much better. And it has electric motors in the back that probably weigh in that range. Just a longshot, but sometimes a simple fix can actually be had.
Not so crazy. Maybe Lexus uses the same shocks for hybrid and non-hybrid. Remember hybrid has the weight of the batteries as well as the motors riding on possibly the same shocks, therefore the harsh ride from the rear.
Old 11-11-14, 08:53 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raylor4
Not so crazy. Maybe Lexus uses the same shocks for hybrid and non-hybrid. Remember hybrid has the weight of the batteries as well as the motors riding on possibly the same shocks, therefore the harsh ride from the rear.
I drove a 2014 BMW X3 4 banger today. Did not take it on any bumpy roads, (dealer is not near my daily roads) and yet on the way home in my car the road seemed bumpier. Sheesh, it is so hard to process all the input when test driving a new car and trying to compare it to the daily driver Always my first job when test driving is not to do anything stupid as it is not my car

I may start a thread to see if any 2015 drivers have any suspension issues.
Old 11-12-14, 12:19 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Default Any 2015 RX350 drivers that can report on...

whether the suspension is harsh, soft, in between? I have the 2012 and the ride can be jarring over certain types of bumps. I figure three years is enough time for Lexus to fix this

Thanks, Dave
Old 11-12-14, 02:48 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I bought the rx for being a suv I would think that the suspension would be accommodating for heavy loads and also give the best ride it could. You can't have it both ways without some giving up on the ride a bit. This is a great "in between" suspension I have found and coming from owning 20+ trucks and some muscle cars over the years the 2012 is like a dream come true for me.....When I get the "truck" completely out of me a LS might be in order....
Old 11-13-14, 08:02 AM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

Dave,
Do you have the 18" or 19" tires, I might go to Lexus and drive one with 18" tires and see if there is a difference in the ride.
Old 11-13-14, 08:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Are all of complaints from brand new RX350s? Maybe these need to be broken-in first.
I just got my '15 STi, and boy, its suspension is very tight. The springs are softer than on my IS300, but the shocks are tighter on the rebound, preventing oscillation movements.
In comparison, my IS300, even with stiff progressive springs, but with Koni adjustable shocks, rides like a cloud, and it is nowhere near the RX in its softness.
This leads me to believe that:
a) One needs to get used to the new vehicle
b) Over time, the ride will become "softer" as shocks become less effective.
P.S.
Compared to the STi, the RX350 suspension complaints seem very miniscule.
Old 11-13-14, 09:39 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Dave,
Do you have the 18" or 19" tires, I might go to Lexus and drive one with 18" tires and see if there is a difference in the ride.
I have the 18 inch wheels. Never did understand why someone would want bugger wheels at the expense of the ride feel.

Also, I have had my car about 3 years, so break in is not the factor.
Old 11-13-14, 12:32 PM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I have the 18 inch wheels. Never did understand why someone would want bugger wheels at the expense of the ride feel.

Also, I have had my car about 3 years, so break in is not the factor.
Handling is much better with 19"
Old 11-13-14, 12:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by hovbuild
Handling is much better with 19"
In testing out both the 18" and 19" packages, I couldn't actually notice a difference.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)