RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Radio and Climate Control Unresponsive.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 03:03 PM
banana403
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio and Climate Control Unresponsive.

New to the forum.
My car had been parked for a few weeks (it still moved every few days, and when I moved it 10 days ago, it was fine), but just last week, I ran into two problems:
1) The radio isn't responsive. The display is on, so I can see the time, climate temp and outside temp.
2) Climate control is also unresponsive. None of the buttons work. Fortunately, it was stuck on auto-temperature, which was set to a reasonable temperature. But I have no way of changing it.

I've checked all the fuses, which were fine.

I also did a battery reset and left it disconnected for over an hour. It did not fix the problem. Instead, it did reset the climate control so that now the auto-temperature is not set and, therefore, not on.

Help?
The following users liked this post:
ColAngus (08-16-23)
Old 08-16-23, 04:32 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Could be a dying battery. Measure your voltage at the battery terminals with the engine off, and again with the engine running. Report those voltage measurements here for further advice.
Old 08-16-23, 04:38 PM
banana403
10th Gear

I'll check the battery, but I just replaced it like 4 months ago.
Old 08-17-23, 05:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

The fact that it is a few months old does not mean anything. Any battery can die at any time. Many like you think nothing can be wrong with their new battery.
That is not true, it can be drained in a few weeks like any other battery.

The real concern is that you said it had been parked for a few weeks.
Moving it a few times just drained the battery even more as it did not have time to recharge.
I think you have a drained battery. A day attached to a real battery charger to bring it up will probably solve your issues.

It is also the simplest and cheapest solution to your issues. Any other source of these problems will be much more expensive and complicated to solve.
So buy a battery charger somewhere and hook up your battery for a day or until fully charged.
Get one that has an automatic setting and a gauge so you can monitor the charge process.
The do not cost that much and are useful tools to have around for these situations. Just go to Wal-Mart or a chain auto parts store.
Old 08-17-23, 03:17 PM
banana403
10th Gear

Checked the battery. I got:
12.44 cold
13.93 with the engine running.

I took it to a shop today and he said that the code he was getting was U0155, which I believe he said was "lost communication."
Old 08-18-23, 05:00 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Your battery voltages are too low. That U0155 could be a spurious code thrown by a failing battery. As previously advised, charge your battery. If the problem persists afterwards, I would insist upon a battery replacement. At only 4 months old, it should still be under full warranty.
Old 08-18-23, 06:12 AM
marksa
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by banana403
New to the forum.
My car had been parked for a few weeks (it still moved every few days, and when I moved it 10 days ago, it was fine), but just last week, I ran into two problems:
1) The radio isn't responsive. The display is on, so I can see the time, climate temp and outside temp.
2) Climate control is also unresponsive. None of the buttons work. Fortunately, it was stuck on auto-temperature, which was set to a reasonable temperature. But I have no way of changing it.

I've checked all the fuses, which were fine.

I also did a battery reset and left it disconnected for over an hour. It did not fix the problem. Instead, it did reset the climate control so that now the auto-temperature is not set and, therefore, not on.

Help?

For mine, I've found it seems to be heat related. When it is very hot outside the radio goes south. But interesting, it seems to be the head unit. I'm able to control the radio by the steering wheel controls.

I haven't had an issue with climate control.

I did look under the rear passenger seat, all the cables seem to be fine going into the radio unit.

Sadly there are no aftermarket head units of which I am aware. The price for just the unit seems to be close to a thousand dollars. That's crazy. And that doesn't include installation.

I don't yet know what it is, the root cause. But I'm leaning towards the head unit.
Old 08-18-23, 07:39 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have transitioned to making Step-1 of literally all diagnosis of electrical problems the replacement of the battery. (Or, the temporary substitution in order to completely rule out the battery.) It's like $150 and 10 min of work instead of looking at wiring diagrams and counting Coulombs divided by electrons, etc nonsense.
I have yet* to reach a Step-2 which is pretty lucky. The most recent swap, I chose to get an AGM battery and now windows go uppy/downy so much faster and smooth!

*Oops I lied. The last one I had to change the alternator after. I guess I tried to block that memory out because that job sucked.
​​​​
Old 08-18-23, 08:35 AM
RX in NC
Racer

We purchased my wife's 2015 RX350 in late October 2018. Service records indicate that its factory battery was replaced under warranty by Lexus in February 2018 while the vehicle was still serving its three-year lease with the original "owner" in Florida. I am pleasantly surprised that this replacement battery continues to function normally. When it finally begins to fade, I will replace it with a NAPA AGM one. The NAPA AGM batteries have performed very well in my 2013 Outback 3.6R as well as in my wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8. The NAPA AGM batteries are built by East Penn, one of the best battery manufacturers in the world.

My trusty 1999 Ram does not have nearly the number or complexity of computerized electronics in it that today's modern vehicles do. It continues to do just fine with its standard Champion battery I installed in August 2018 for $75.
Old 08-18-23, 09:58 AM
banana403
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
Your battery voltages are too low. That U0155 could be a spurious code thrown by a failing battery. As previously advised, charge your battery. If the problem persists afterwards, I would insist upon a battery replacement. At only 4 months old, it should still be under full warranty.
I'll give it a shot, but according to this site, the readings are well within the range.
https://www.startmycar.com/ca/lexus/...st-the-battery
Old 08-26-23, 12:43 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I just checked mine after 3 full weeks of inactivity. I had 12.7V on my essentially brand new AGM battery and she fired right up with zero issues. I let it reboot the Nav and hard drive without interruption as it requested that before starting it.
No issues and it jumped to life with what seemed to be a firm voltage start. I'm going AGM on everything from now on. This thing is awesome.
I hope OP's problem turns out to simply be a battery issue.
Old 08-26-23, 05:11 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Yep, today's vehicles (which are essentially rolling computers) really appreciate an AGM battery. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, I believe an AGM is worth the extra cost (especially if you are able to purchase one when the supplier is having a sale on batteries).
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (08-26-23)
Old 09-01-23, 04:12 PM
banana403
10th Gear

I'm looking to replace the radio on my 2012. According to the Dealership's parts manager, the part number is 81620-48T20. I can't seem to find the part in any junkyards and the part seems to be discontinued.

I've found a few different radios on Ebay that look a lot like mine, but the part numbers don't match up. Does anyone know if the radio is interchangeable with:
81620-0E280
81620-0E450
Old 09-02-23, 07:54 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Are your sure your original part number is correct. It does not look like a Toyota-Lexus number. They usually do not have a T where you have a T in the number.
Have you gone to an onlline Lexus parts source such as https://www.mylparts.com/
Then enter your VIN to find the current exact part number, it should also list prior part numbers as they change over time.

The junkyards have access to the Hollander database that tells them what parts are interchangeable, especially ones used on different models and model years. I would check with a place such as Rancho Lexus Recycling. I would only get a used one for this vehicle, and as you pointed out, there are probably no new ones around anymore.
http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/

They may even have the proper radio for your vehicle.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-02-23 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-02-23, 08:44 PM
banana403
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Are your sure your original part number is correct. It does not look like a Toyota-Lexus number. They usually do not have a T where you have a T in the number.
Have you gone to an onlline Lexus parts source such as https://www.mylparts.com/
Then enter your VIN to find the current exact part number, it should also list prior part numbers as they change over time.

The junkyards have access to the Hollander database that tells them what parts are interchangeable, especially ones used on different models and model years. I would check with a place such as Rancho Lexus Recycling. I would only get a used one for this vehicle, and as you pointed out, there are probably no new ones around anymore.
http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/

They may even have the proper radio for your vehicle.
I mistyped the first part, but the second part is still correct: 86120-48T20.

I've confirmed it with the parts department at the Lexus dealership. I managed to finally find a list on Partsouq to confirm it's a real part, but holy hell it's been hard to find that let alone find one that is available.

At this point, I'm considering giving up. I REALLY don't want to have to buy another car right now, but it's pointing in that direction.

Quick Reply: Radio and Climate Control Unresponsive.