RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 01:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks CapeDave. I merged the two threads so it's all in one now.
Old 12-22-14, 12:32 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A few of the later posts indicate adding some dead weight seems to smooth out the ride a bit. This additional weight will duplicate having an extra passenger or two in the car.

Lexus (Toyota) may have missed on the rear spring rates when they set up the suspension.
Coil springs on a conventional rear suspension are incredibly easy to change once the shock is unbolted.
Drawings on Sewell's site suggest this is a quick fix as well.
Looks like the '10 -'12 models used a given P/N for each rear coil, depending on RH or LH side.
The '13 & '14 models, while essentially the same, use a different set of numbers for the coils.
Lexus figure an issue/complaint & soften the ride ?

Has anyone here considered a different coil spring ?

My old Buick had 17 different front coil springs to choose from as new from factory. Small block/big block, regular/HD suspension, AC/no AC etc. Took me 3 pairs to get it back to stock ride height & smooth ride.
Old 12-22-14, 07:40 PM
TBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna415
Today I took my CPO 2010 RX 350 for the 1st complimentary oil change. While servicing the car, they noticed that the rear shocks were leaking. Service Advisor said it would drip slowly but not puddle in the garage. He stated it was a known problem so it would be covered under the Platinum extended warranty, but they would need to order them and they are backordered.
So if you have a 2010, maybe have your service department check your rear shocks for leaks..
I had the same with our 2012 RX350 and had both replaced. The ride was rough and I did bring it to of local Sales Rep and Dealer. Nothing happened until I brought it in for a maintenance check and it was noted that the shocks were leaking. I filed a complaint with the Department of Transportation (DOT). Back to the outcome of the replacement; stiff ride resolved itself but I am curious if the "floating" ride...is this really an improvement? I compared this to my previous 2001 RX300 which I traded in for the RX350 and decided to pick up another RX300 (2002). The ride of the RX300 is neither stiff nor floating along...just a stable suspension platform. I prefer the smaller body style, better visibility and a better sense of intuitively picking up the outside perimeter of the vehicle. The RX300 does not have the turning radius of the RX350 but it is easy to maneuver nor does it have better gas mileage...however, it now my ride and the wife drives the RX350.

Note: My wife and I had issues (aside from several National recall issues) with the local Toyota and Lexus Dealer(s) and agreed we would seriously consider moving away from the Toyota Motor Corporation vehicles. Seems like they have moved off center of their original mission statement. Perhaps a corporate culture / generational change. Regardless, I have been a loyal Toyota client going back over 40 years and a time to take a step back, reflect and perhaps move on...sad.
Old 12-22-14, 07:51 PM
TBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jves002
I bought a slightly used '13 RX 350 AWD a month ago. I was quite surprised at the rougher ride and squeaks and rattles that come with it. I had an '07 ES 350 that was wonderfully quiet and smooth. My RX has 19" wheels that may be contributing to the rougher ride. Geez - I want to love my new Lexus!
I would like the same for our 2012 RX350 again the ride is not "rough" but an uncomfortable floating boat ride feel to it. Perhaps I can best explain it as a cup of coffee sloshing around more than in my older 2001 RX200. Anyway we also had a ES300...what a nice ride. I believe you may be fighting a losing battle in capturing same ride with your RX350. Hence, wife and I are considering moving on with another manufacturer.

Note: We have had ES300, 2002 Tacoma Prerunner, 2001 RX300, 2002 RX300 and RX350.
Old 01-11-15, 06:18 PM
cless
Driver School Candidate

I have 19"s and last year changed the tires from michellins OEM to Dunlop SP270, thats when a noticed the ride was harsher... it was the only brand I could find.
Today a changed the front struts, rear shocks and stabilizer links, and the ride improved somewhat.
they were aftermarket parts, KYB struts and rear shocks and AC delco links.
Checked the control arms, stabilizer bushings, they seemed fine.
Old 01-11-15, 09:55 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

cless, that sounds fantastic, congrats on fixing the ride. I think earlier in this thread it was said that there is no aftermarket replacement shocks for the 3rd gen RX (hence the weight/sand bag solution). What year is your RX and could you post the part numbers?
Old 01-16-15, 08:10 PM
cless
Driver School Candidate

Hi, because they were shocks it was easy to find a suitable replacement.
My mechanic friend took one of my old shocks and found a very similar (from a toyota prado)
it was longer. but I dont feel any improvement from the standard OEM

Last month I tried another experiment, I changed my front stabilizer links with a shorter one (from a hyundai elantra ) they were almost the same, and the steering wheel became more stiffer.
It feel it helped and the car didnt felt like a boat tested them in many situations and I feel the ride is better.... The only problem is that the stabilizer worn faster (it was a cheap one though 10$)
Today I replaced them with new OEM, the ride sucked.

Maybe I discovered the problem?
I live outside US and theres no lexus dealership here, so hence the parts from others cars LOL
Old 01-16-15, 08:35 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice experiment cless! I on the opposite prefer the boat like feel of my Camry , from your post it sounds like I can just *remove* the "stabilizer links" to make my RX feels more like a boat. Is it a stupid idea to remove the links can it be done and is there any danger to doing that?
Old 01-17-15, 03:09 PM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello hello,
I am the OP for this thread. obviously i have not posted in a while, partly due to frustration, partly due to this issue affecting me psychologically (yes) and making me always mad and bitter...Anyway, here are the updates and current situation:---
I did trade the 2013 model due to the Horrible Ride situation, and bought a new 2015 RX at a nice discount......Well, after a couple of days, guess what... the new car also started feeling rough . it was buttery smooth on black top asphalt road, but on concrete roads with Expansion joints and even most minor potholes the ride was bad.....I got the feeling of being fooled 2nd time, and it as Shame On Me this time....thats why i didnt return to this forum, as i had lost my self esteem and feeling of 'How dumb can you be' took over....

Anyway, I did check the forum few days ago and saw the MERGED THREAD about Stiff Ride Quality...(maybe this could be merged with that thread since the issue is exact same) ???
and i read every post several times and found CAPE DAVE's suggestion of adding Dead Weight (kitty litter / top soil sand etc)......I ignored it, since I didnt want to lose whatever esteem i had left, by adding topsoil to a $45k car, when a $15k toyota corola would have given the desired soft ride.......So, long story short, after few weeks today, I Did add 3 bags (40 lb each) photo attached at locations that CAPE DAVE described....The bags are bulky, so I cannot fit them exactly where I want, its more of placing them where they can fit......
I have Not yet driven the car after adding the topsoil (except driving home from home depot) so the results wouldnt be known until next week when i drive on my daily office roads and I Promise to update say tuesday or wednesday (after giving it a couple of days)...
Any suggestions (from the pics) how / where should I put the topsoil bags ??I didnt find smaller bags so this is what i m working with..

I would like to apologize for not updating the thread and providing a closure if you will, but this issue was affecting me a lot mentally...hope you understand...
many thanks, happy new year...

Old 01-17-15, 04:14 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever I buy a new car I first take an extensive test drive and purposely drive on bad roads to judge the ride quality. I also drive on the roads I'm very familiar with, like the route to work and note how the vehicle rides on the bumps, small potholes and expansion joints that I'm familar with.

It seems that some people do not perform an adequate test drive to evaluate the vehicle properly. I read recently there are a lot of late model trade-ins from people who set up the deal online and then don't drive the vehicle more than around the block before finalizing the deal. Then a short time later they trade in the vehicle, usually at a loss when they find the seats aren't comfortable, they can't see well out of the vehicle or other annoyances.

My new 2015 RX 350 rides great. Yes I feel some of the irregularities in the pavement as expected. I don't want a cushy, boat ride type of feel in my vehicle.

I had my RX at the dealer for installation of body side moldings the other day and they gave me a 20145 RX 450 hybrid as a loaner. It rode stiffer and rougher than my 350 and also had a much heavier steering feel. I didn't really care for it.

Overall I am very satisfied with all aspects of my new 2015 RX 350.

Last edited by kmar; 01-17-15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 06:01 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Park10 - You may wish to adjust your sights looking for a smooth ride. RX 350's are sport utility vehicles. Here is a definition of a sport utility vehicle gleaned from an internet search engine: sport utility vehicle ►
n. A passenger vehicle which combines the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or station wagon together with on- or off-road ability.
You will notice there is nothing mentioned about a smooth, comfortable ride.
The word utility comes from the latin, uti, meaning "to use".

Many years ago, I rented a Toyota Corolla. It was very comfortable and smooth riding. You may wish to consider purchasing a Corolla, which you yourself say gives the desired soft ride.

My experience of a sedan vs. an SUV is that the sedan rides smother, is more comfortable and, like you say, gives the desired soft ride during long and short trips.

I understand what you want is an SUV that gives a smooth ride. You may have to start your own car company.

Ray A.
Old 01-17-15, 07:25 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had the 2004 with sport package and getting a 2011 touring package with 19" 235/55/R19. These SUVs don't drive like sedans. I'm guessing that moving to 235/60/R18 will improve the ride a liitle bit. Unfortunately, when I replaced my all seasons, I used 235/55/R18 instead of 60.

Next set will definitely be a 60 instead of a 55.
Old 01-18-15, 10:39 AM
wilchan
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too agreed that 13 RX350 ride is not as good as I want. I keep tire pressure to 32 psi on all four corners.

One time I placed a 80+ lbs portable AC in the trunk and drove to Home Depot to return it, the RX did ride smoother.

However, after 2 yrs of ownership, I kind of get used to the ride characteristics.

One thing is that tires play important role for this RX suspension setup. Check out the Bridgestone Ecopia tires. There are couple reviews on tirerack.com stating that their 3rd gen RX ride quality has been significantly improved. When my set of Dunlops are due for replacement, I will definitely give Ecopia a try.
Old 01-18-15, 11:11 AM
nx200tmb
Driver School Candidate

We have the '13 RX350. We just got the new NX200t. Night and day difference!!

The RX is a big boat floater like a big cadillac. The NX200t rides very sporty / firm in comparison.

It's a real stark contrast between the two vehicles.
Old 01-18-15, 11:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

From the posts above, it goes to show how different our tolerances and perceptions are on what's acceptable to us or not.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)