RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 07-11-14, 05:02 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you have the larger wheels? How was your test drive? I don't think there's supposed to be any real difference between Canadian vs japan built suspensions in general, but different tire/ wheel combos will make a difference. Can you go to a different dealer?
Old 07-11-14, 05:10 PM
Nanook
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned..check your tire pressure..
Old 07-11-14, 05:15 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of us in TX have thicker skin.

You bought an SUV, not an LS as mentioned above.

It will grow on you.

P.S. Our RX rides smoother than our ES.
Old 07-11-14, 06:00 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not think it is a matter of "sucking it up". I feel your pain. I think that once in awhile, a car is somehow made with a crappy suspension. It seems to be borne out here on this forum. There is one thing that JARS me each time I hit a certain type of frost expansion joint or similar type of bump. feel like I am driving a steel plate with 4 wheels on it when I hit that type of bump. I notice it is better in summer, where road, tires etc. are warmer and more malleable. But man, when it hits, it really JARS me. I expect maybe not perfect like a rolls royce, but certainly better than a tank

The F sport situation mentioned above made some serious sense.
Old 07-11-14, 08:28 PM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot friends.. Here is my response to various suggestions --
1. Corrado and Nanook: The tire pressure is around 33 psi. I will check again tomorrow.
2. CorradoMR2:- I don't have the expertise to remove the wheel to inspect the Tokico shocks, but I will bring it to dealers attention next week when I have a scheduled inspection.
3. CapeDave:-It does feel like driving on a steel plate. it is screwing up my sanity and mental balance. I cringe to drive anywhere...wish I can have my 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer back (yes !! imagine that)..
4. AFPJ: Funny u mention the wheels.. The spec sheet listed 19 inch wheels, but we found out that it actually has 18 inch wheels...can there be a mismatch between wheel and tires ? probably not since wrong sized wheel wont fit, but was concerning.

One thing I didn't mention is that the whole vehicle feels very tight or very stiff..the steering wheel is tight - that's why my wife doesn't even drive it. The Toyota highlander wheel can be turned with a finger easily.. Does this tight feel give anyone any clue ??

I have an inspection next week. They said they will inspect suspension/shocks...but inspection is different than a rigorous test.. How can I get them to actually do a specified standard test ?? my fear is he will "inspect" it and say everything looks ok...

Is there a way I can somehow communicate with Lexus Company Engineer ??? the people at dealers are not engineers they are field technicians.. I believe that company engineer may have some clue....but how do I get in touch with them ?

I also today test drove a new 2015 RX350 (J vin number), and the difference was definitely noticeable. The car did not feel tight, the steering wheel could be turned with a finer easily and the car in general felt more soft more friendly..... The dealer is however, asking for $7000 more to "get me out" of 2013 and into 2015...

by the way since my current one was a Demo vehicle, I got an incredible deal ($37.5K + tax -- Yes!!) on it. I also bought it afternoon of 31st dec 13... That makes me think -- being a demo vehicle, was it ever broken properly...I ve heard of vehicle should be properly broken in, but don't know if that is relevant here...
Any thoughts --?
Old 07-11-14, 08:30 PM
Nanook
Rookie

Simple..go to a dealer and drive a few other 2013s and see if yours drives different...
Old 07-11-14, 08:41 PM
Nanook
Rookie

I can share a little incident I had once..bought a BMW from Vancouver and drove it home...drove it for a few months and several times it bottomed out over incidental road rash..not real deep holes but still bottomed out..as in hit the top of the spring travel which I found very odd...the next time I had it in for service I asked the tech about this and low and behold they found after the car was take off the rail car used for shipping they had not removed one of the shipping nylon block spacers used to stop the chassis from bouncing excessively during it's train ride...just a thought..
Old 07-12-14, 12:05 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

You bought this car on New Year's Eve? Did you test drive it or buy it sight unseen? The way I read it, there is a significant difference between your ride now and your test ride. Maybe your test ride was just around the block near the dealer's, and you assumed the Lexus would ride very smoothly. I too was surprised at the bumpiness of our '11 CPO RX, compared to our '04 Highlander. New Michelin Latitude tours solved the road noise and most of the bumpy ride. As far as being broken in properly, I don't think Lexus has a break-in period. I'm going with the shipping spacers being left in as a distinct possibility. Please let us know how this is resolved.
Ray A.
Old 07-12-14, 09:56 AM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Nanook and Raylor:- I crawled underneath the car and looked at the springs. I didn't see any blocks keeping the coils of spring fastened or any material between the spring coils.. I will ask the technician next Tuesday to check this possibility thoroughly. I am not sure how much to trust the dealer technician.. they all sound very honest, but..if he says everything looks fine -- where does that leave me ?
The whole vehicle seems 'very tight' it also seemed little taller than other vehicles I test drove yesterday...strange but I did notice it....
the drive is horrible its like someone punching me from underneath.. its like a deep thud that goes through your body everytime we pass even the most minor bump....rechecked the tire pressure = 33psi.
How can we get in touch with Lexus company engineers ?? any ideas ?
Old 07-12-14, 11:31 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May I ask where in TX?
Old 07-12-14, 11:35 AM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Sterling McCall Lexus, Houston TX
Old 07-12-14, 12:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

park10, sorry to hear you're not happy with your RX350. A comment I've read here a few times is the ride has gotten stiffer, most notably with the refresh in 2013. This was coming from earlier third gen RX owners. Your comment about the different tire sizes, between the spec sheet and what is on the RX, is troubling. The dealer should investigate it further. I'd also recommend having the tires checked for age and/or possible defect. Most Michelin owners here are pretty happy with them. The tech is right. Dunlops will give you a softer ride, at the cost of longevity. Bridgestones are the other OE brand. They fall in between the other two.

Please give the dealer the opportunity to inspect your RX. I'm sure their service techs are well trained. They'll probably take it out for a test drive. Ask to go along with them so you can point out the jarring feeling over bumps. I wish you luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-12-14, 03:47 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

The RX-350 is not quiet and not smooth. But it is better than most suvs in that area. We had a Cadillac Seville- that was pretty smooth and quiet.
Old 07-12-14, 04:59 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i find it funny how the words smooth and quiet became subjective.
without knowing, what your previous cars were, it's hard to argue.

get one of this!

i remember a youtube video where the guy compared Lexus RX 350 vs the competition
and the RX 350 won.

i'll post it when i find it.
Old 07-12-14, 05:46 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Go for the 2015 RX350, two years newer for $7000, sounds like a good deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)