RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 01:07 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Changing tires can make a difference, but remember they are only one component affecting ride & handling. Tires are not going to magically transform the RX's ride and make it feel like a luxury car or a sports car (depending on your preference).
Old 08-07-12, 01:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropicsun
Thanks. Those Pirellis are sounding real good. The underlying question is why we have to go through all this in the first place. No one seems to have an answer.
Unfortunately I have not had any luck with OE tires on any of my RXs. Maybe Lexus will take note and put something on other than what I consider starter tires on this vehicle. Fortunately there are better alternatives out there. I switched from the Dunlops to the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes a few months ago. The ride quality is definitely better but it's hard to compare to everyone else because I have the sport suspension. My initial impression during the first drive was that the RX felt higher. Now that I've put a few miles on them, I feel the ride is more confident over bumps and in turns. The price was right, I fill the tires less often (currently at 34 lbs), and Pirelli has a great warranty. Couldn't be happier.

I wish you luck in finding a solution.
The following users liked this post:
Rence (02-24-22)
Old 08-07-12, 07:36 PM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would trade my 19"ers right now. I don't like the ride either.
Old 08-08-12, 02:51 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both a 2009 (17" wheels with Michelins) and a 2010 RX...The 2010 has by far the stiffer ride and mine originally came from Japan with Dunlops but after a few kms I had them changed because the ride was not acceptable and Lexus installed the Michelins on them. Yesterday, I was given a loaner RX as the 2009 was in the shop for maintenace (dealer is 60 km away). The RX I was given was a 2011 with the base Canadian package, leather, sunroof etc but no HID's, no thigh extenders and 18" tires etc. I felt like I was driving my 2009 again and I have to tell you the loaner had Michelins and I loved the ride and I found the seats very comfortable as well (I have never found the 2010 with the thigh extenders comfortable as the extender still protrudes a bit and catches the back of my right leg as my foot is on the gas and where the backrest and the seat meet it is toatlly devoid of any support) The 2011 felt so good I felt like I wanted to had over my 2010 Ultra Premium and keep their base 2011 model. Canadians are stuck by Lexus with 19" tires if we buy anything other than the 2 premium packages--18" tires are not even an option. I know the 19" wheels look better but personally I am more concerned about ride quality than looking good.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
The following users liked this post:
Rence (02-24-22)
Old 08-08-12, 05:59 PM
jacsonlin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
I have both a 2009 (17" wheels with Michelins) and a 2010 RX...The 2010 has by far the stiffer ride and mine originally came from Japan with Dunlops but after a few kms I had them changed because the ride was not acceptable and Lexus installed the Michelins on them. Yesterday, I was given a loaner RX as the 2009 was in the shop for maintenace (dealer is 60 km away). The RX I was given was a 2011 with the base Canadian package, leather, sunroof etc but no HID's, no thigh extenders and 18" tires etc. I felt like I was driving my 2009 again and I have to tell you the loaner had Michelins and I loved the ride and I found the seats very comfortable as well (I have never found the 2010 with the thigh extenders comfortable as the extender still protrudes a bit and catches the back of my right leg as my foot is on the gas and where the backrest and the seat meet it is toatlly devoid of any support) The 2011 felt so good I felt like I wanted to had over my 2010 Ultra Premium and keep their base 2011 model. Canadians are stuck by Lexus with 19" tires if we buy anything other than the 2 premium packages--18" tires are not even an option. I know the 19" wheels look better but personally I am more concerned about ride quality than looking good.

dentate
Oshawa, ON
My one is 2011 rx350 prestiage from Japan. It came with 18 alloy wheel that soft and smooth. I changed to 19 genuine alloy wheel several days ago with Pirelli tyres. The feeling is more better than my old 18. I think it is nothing about wheel size that depend in choosen tyres and suspension. My one is not sport suspension and it should more comfortable.
Old 08-09-12, 05:01 AM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires vs ride

Interesting posts recently on the tires. I started this post and have been looking for a way to smooth the ride. I am going to the dealer today and maybe try the 18" wheels, either way, based on what I am hearing, I am going for the Pirelli tires. Look at the chart below - really tells the difference between the four tires discussed the most.

Old 08-10-12, 12:45 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NCbigred
I bought my wife a 2012 RX350 with luxury package -with the 19" wheels of course. I hate the bumpy ride. I found a thread posted with the same complaint. Is it worth the trouble and expense to try pushing the dealer for 18" wheels to improve ride performance? I made mistake of assuming that Lexus + Luxury package would represent the very best in ride performance.
I just bought a 2013 RX 350 and deliberately did not get the 19-inch wheels. I figured the bigger wheels would only make tires more expensive. My salesman agreed with my decision and added that the 19-inch wheels provide a bumpier ride as well. Based on your experience, I'd say my salesman was right. I think the whole big wheel craze is way overblown.
Old 08-12-12, 01:59 AM
jacsonlin
Driver School Candidate

Interesting posts recently on the tires. I started this post and have been looking for a way to smooth the ride. I am going to the dealer today and maybe try the 18" wheels, either way, based on what I am hearing, I am going for the Pirelli tires. Look at the chart below - really tells the difference between the four tires discussed the most.

Any update?
Old 08-12-12, 09:31 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

I have a 2012 RX 450h AWD with 19" wheels and Bridgestone tires. I personally find the ride to be acceptable even while driving the poorly maintained roads here in California.
Old 08-13-12, 02:47 AM
jacsonlin
Driver School Candidate

Bridgestone tires are poor in noise and shock.
Old 08-13-12, 07:46 AM
watsonle
Driver School Candidate

I strongly believe now that it's not the tires or air pressure or anything but a redesigned suspension that was a mistake. I drive my 2007 RX 350 every day and when I drive my wife's 2011 RX350 occasionally I hate it. Somewhere between 2007 and 2011 Lexus blew it and it seems they are more interested in automotive reviews that customer reviews.

My 2011 RX350 was going to be my retirement car but now I think the 2007 will win this race
Old 08-15-12, 12:32 AM
TBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by watsonle
I strongly believe now that it's not the tires or air pressure or anything but a redesigned suspension that was a mistake. I drive my 2007 RX 350 every day and when I drive my wife's 2011 RX350 occasionally I hate it. Somewhere between 2007 and 2011 Lexus blew it and it seems they are more interested in automotive reviews that customer reviews.

My 2011 RX350 was going to be my retirement car but now I think the 2007 will win this race
After reading the posting string and the above, I'm under the impression that the suspension from my very early 2001 RX300 and my recently picked up 2012 RX350 is "the" difference in ride.

The RX300 was an all wheel drive and the tires 225/70R/16's and were fine @ 32 psi.

Getting back to the suspension of the RX350, as I understand the suspension characteristics of the RX350 (we have a front wheel drive); the front is independent McPherson struts and the rear is a wishbone suspension (I was told that the all wheel drive would be all independent suspension (?)). Hence depending if the all wheel or front wheel drive that could be a difference (?) or...is there a difference in suspenson being used in the manufacture of a given year (?).

Regardless the RX350, the suspension is stiff but tolerable. Over a smooth road it's fine...over our less than smooth roads it's tolerable. but you know the suspension is stiff. I find that at low speed < 30 mph going over the bumps is a bit more uncomfortable than when you get it up to 35 + mph. The initial tire pressue was at 34 psi and I've dropped the tire pressure at 31.5 to 32 psi. The tires I have are Dunlop 255/70R/18's with recommended cold at 32 psi.

Bottom line...31.5 lbs...it's tolerable and rides smooth (for the most part), handles well and is a bit larger than the old RX300. Still kinda miss the RX300...but things were beginning to go bad being 12 years old and it wasn't going to be inexpensive to get them fixed.

BTW...was kinda bumed that there were no factory installed side moldings like the 2009 RX350's and if you wanted a cross bar on the roof racks that was an option. RX300 came with a side panel molding and the cross bar with the roof rack. Yes, I used the cross bars on RX300 to lash things down.

I'm picking up the cross bars and installing on my own on the RX350. I'm not picking up the side moldings as it would cost $400.00+ installed, instead I'm picking up a $700.00 (for five years) Protection Plan that covers dent removal, windshield damage, cosmetic damage to wheels and provides $300 per year for replacment of key fob. So I'll definitely pick up at least one back up key for $150.00 each and get the dents repaired routinely (this can get pricey). Believe I should recover the $700.00 investment with dent removal alone and keys replacment (when factoring in on subsequent sale).

Time will tell...
Old 08-16-12, 06:37 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

I have a 2011 RX350 FWD. I have 18" michelins and feel the ride is very bumpy as well. Even tiny pot holes. I got a service loaner the other day and can't believe the ride. This is an 11 ES350 with michelins and I think 17". I see the recmnd tire pressure is 30psi but the car had 32.5 and it still feels so smooth and I intentionally drive over potholes etc and don't even feel a thing. I can't believe my rx350 is that different...
Old 08-17-12, 04:21 AM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TBoy
After reading the posting string and the above, I'm under the impression that the suspension from my very early 2001 RX300 and my recently picked up 2012 RX350 is "the" difference in ride.

The RX300 was an all wheel drive and the tires 225/70R/16's and were fine @ 32 psi.

Getting back to the suspension of the RX350, as I understand the suspension characteristics of the RX350 (we have a front wheel drive); the front is independent McPherson struts and the rear is a wishbone suspension (I was told that the all wheel drive would be all independent suspension (?)). Hence depending if the all wheel or front wheel drive that could be a difference (?) or...is there a difference in suspenson being used in the manufacture of a given year (?).

Regardless the RX350, the suspension is stiff but tolerable. Over a smooth road it's fine...over our less than smooth roads it's tolerable. but you know the suspension is stiff. I find that at low speed < 30 mph going over the bumps is a bit more uncomfortable than when you get it up to 35 + mph. The initial tire pressue was at 34 psi and I've dropped the tire pressure at 31.5 to 32 psi. The tires I have are Dunlop 255/70R/18's with recommended cold at 32 psi.

Bottom line...31.5 lbs...it's tolerable and rides smooth (for the most part), handles well and is a bit larger than the old RX300. Still kinda miss the RX300...but things were beginning to go bad being 12 years old and it wasn't going to be inexpensive to get them fixed.

BTW...was kinda bumed that there were no factory installed side moldings like the 2009 RX350's and if you wanted a cross bar on the roof racks that was an option. RX300 came with a side panel molding and the cross bar with the roof rack. Yes, I used the cross bars on RX300 to lash things down.

I'm picking up the cross bars and installing on my own on the RX350. I'm not picking up the side moldings as it would cost $400.00+ installed, instead I'm picking up a $700.00 (for five years) Protection Plan that covers dent removal, windshield damage, cosmetic damage to wheels and provides $300 per year for replacment of key fob. So I'll definitely pick up at least one back up key for $150.00 each and get the dents repaired routinely (this can get pricey). Believe I should recover the $700.00 investment with dent removal alone and keys replacment (when factoring in on subsequent sale).

Time will tell...
So, tell me where you get this Protection Plan coverage? I am getting chips on the hood and front bumper area.
Old 08-20-12, 08:50 AM
TBoy
Driver School Candidate

So, tell me where you get this Protection Plan coverage? I am getting chips on the hood and front bumper area.
It was offered by the local dealer. However, the local dealer is not part of Lexus USA. They are a separately recognized dealership in Hawaii (Servco Lexus and Toyota), hence you have to be carefule on the options and packages offered.

Regarding these Protection Plans. The one I picked up was called Extreme Care4Auto.

If not offered by your dealer you can try the website and see if you can pick it up.

This will cover dents and not broken paint via "paintless dent repair process".

Check them out at www.estremecare4auto.com.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)