RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 04:39 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What I initially thought was softer springs was from other posts I read where owners had a yellow sticker in the driver's side door jam which reduced the overall carrying capacity of the RX 350 or 450h by a specific amount. It was surmised by some that this reduction was the result of Lexus using softer springs to improve the ride which reduced the overall carrying load.

I now believe this to be not true and is only the result of vehicle options ordered that because of their extra weight reduced the overall car payload by that amount. This is only my impression; I don't know for sure.
Old 08-03-12, 10:05 PM
TBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure 2lbs + spec plus motion sickness recommendation

2012 Front Wheel Drive RX350 was purchased after review and test drive. Ride was firm and a bit bumpy over road needing to be repaved (this is becoming a problem within the City and County of Honolul), however ride acceptable. Tires are Dunlop 255/70R/18.

Prior to drving off lot, I did I wanted to make sure that pressure was in spec at cold temp, this was supposedly done by tech. Due to tires being hot when tires were checked, I rechecked the next a.m. Found that all tires were at 34 lb psi versus the posted 32 lb psi. Adjusted to 32 lb psi and it rides softer. The 2 lb. psi (+) makes a noticeable difference.

I'm sure most will check same, however if relying on someone else to check tire psi and calibrating to spec, I would recommend doing it yourself. I attempt to makes sure gauge registers pressure accurately. I carry two, slight difference of .5 lb psi between the two. I cross check this with the one with my scooter. .

Note: If you or any passengers, develop motion sickness or even an upset stomach (I am prone to his). You can try a number of remedies. There are wrist bands with the plastic bead that works like acupressure to relieve symptoms (haven't tried these yet). You can also try ginger chews (see link to Ginger People), you can pick this up at Whole Foods. You can also get candied ginger slices at an herbal shop (i.e. Chinatown).

I find it works well when you ingest the ginger chew, candied ginger with some cool water.

http://www.gingerpeople.com/
Old 08-04-12, 05:41 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I've only had my RX450h for a month and have only put about 500 miles on it, so I'm hoping the ride will smooth out some. This is my first experience with an SUV. My vehicles have only been cars, some luxury and some sporty, but I have to agree with those who consider the ride, at least on less than ideal roads, to be overly choppy and harsh. I did a lengthy test drive before buying, but even an extensive test cannot give you the same experience as living with it.

I am impressed with the seating comfort, the utility, the economy and overall quality that I have come to expect of all my previous Lexus, but I have yet to acclimate to the ride. I do have Michelins and keep 35psi in them, as I have with most of my previous cars. Guess I was hoping more for a tall station wagon than a traditional SUV. Since most owners don't use the RX for off-roading, I don't understand why the RX has to be as stiff and high off the ground. My guess is the majority of owners use the RX primarily as they would a car.

Since the RX is Lexus best seller, I assume there is no incentive to add an option for an adjustable suspension that would satisfy both those who want a softer, more car-like ride and those who want or need an SUV to tow, go off-roading or just prefer a truck-like ride. Maybe a Lexus version of the Venza would better fit what I am looking for, although I have never even sat in one, so that's only an assumption.

Thankfully the RX has excellent resale value, so if I am not able to get used to the ride, trading it after a year will not be quite as painful as it could be.
Old 08-04-12, 07:20 AM
jacsonlin
Driver School Candidate

Default I change 19 wheels and pirelli Scorpion Verde all season tyre today

I can't believe the performance, compared to my old 18 Bridgestone. Quieter, more smooth and even more soft. So I suspect is it 19"? Too many surpprise. I can't believe it can softer than 18 and better handing. Exciting.
Old 08-04-12, 12:44 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...sometimes I think that handling (softness or harshness) is like beauty...it is all in the ....well you know what I mean right?... eye of the beholder...I found my Acura MDX 2010 had a harsh ride and always believed that Toyota products were very soft in the ride and handling....try to ride another RX at the dealer and see if it feels the same, maybe it will not so then you have a problem in your suspension....good luck and keep us posted of your progress and I hope yu stey happy and with the RX...
Old 08-04-12, 02:55 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by svofan1
...sometimes I think that handling (softness or harshness) is like beauty...it is all in the ....well you know what I mean right?... eye of the beholder...I found my Acura MDX 2010 had a harsh ride and always believed that Toyota products were very soft in the ride and handling....try to ride another RX at the dealer and see if it feels the same, maybe it will not so then you have a problem in your suspension....good luck and keep us posted of your progress and I hope yu stey happy and with the RX...
Thanks for the good wishes. Before I bought my RX, I drove 2 other identical 450h's. In my mind, they all rode a little better than the RX350's I had driven as loaners. I do agree that qualities not acceptable to some people are praised by others. Because of the sales success of the RX, most buyers must find the ride acceptable and would not agree with my assessment. At this time for me, the positive qualities of my RX outweigh the negatives. I'm not wishing for an LS ride, but just about 2 inches lower in ride height and a suspension not as jittery and jerky on poor road surfaces (something we seem to have increasingly more of). I thought an optional air suspension that would adjust for height as well as ride comfort could satisfy a wider range of customers and make the RX more unique compared to its competition.

By the way, one of the best qualities of the RX, in my eyes, is its beautiful exterior design. As I mentioned, the RX has many great qualities and I also hope that I can find a way to stay happy with it.
Old 08-04-12, 04:37 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike

I would drop your tire pressure a few pounds and see if that helps. I keep mine at 30-31 and have the Michelin's with no unusual tire wear. I find the ride to be just fine. You can always try it and if there is no difference fill them back up.
Old 08-04-12, 05:39 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Mike

I would drop your tire pressure a few pounds and see if that helps. I keep mine at 30-31 and have the Michelin's with no unusual tire wear. I find the ride to be just fine. You can always try it and if there is no difference fill them back up.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
Rence (02-24-22)
Old 08-06-12, 07:59 PM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still lovin and hatin it!

Originally Posted by jacsonlin
I can't believe the performance, compared to my old 18 Bridgestone. Quieter, more smooth and even more soft. So I suspect is it 19"? Too many surpprise. I can't believe it can softer than 18 and better handing. Exciting.
I now have 40,000 miles on my 2010 RX and the ride is still bumpy over the "less than smooth" roads. Nothing seems to work. The sad part is that I have driven loaner Rx's that ride great (so it is not just my expections) and Lexus dealers (I have been to 4 different ones) say there is nothing wrong. I run Michelin Latitude tires at 30 psi. Everything is perfect except for the ride (smooth roads are smooth). Since my RX is loaded with options including lux pkg and heads up, this thing cost too much to trade in so I am stuck. Hoping the Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires will make a difference. Still trying to make it happen.

To quote SVOFAN1,

"I do agree that qualities not acceptable to some people are praised by others. Because of the sales success of the RX, most buyers must find the ride acceptable and would not agree with my assessment."
Old 08-06-12, 09:27 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropicsun
I now have 40,000 miles on my 2010 RX and the ride is still bumpy over the "less than smooth" roads. Nothing seems to work. The sad part is that I have driven loaner Rx's that ride great (so it is not just my expections) and Lexus dealers (I have been to 4 different ones) say there is nothing wrong. I run Michelin Latitude tires at 30 psi. Everything is perfect except for the ride (smooth roads are smooth). Since my RX is loaded with options including lux pkg and heads up, this thing cost too much to trade in so I am stuck. Hoping the Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires will make a difference. Still trying to make it happen.

To quote SVOFAN1,

"I do agree that qualities not acceptable to some people are praised by others. Because of the sales success of the RX, most buyers must find the ride acceptable and would not agree with my assessment."
I agree with SVOFAN1, tho I have ONLY had the Michelin Latitudes, my previous was a Cadillac SRX and had a Great ride.....and I have my Michelins at the recommended 32 PSI
Old 08-07-12, 06:17 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the Michelin tires! they are harsh, I had the same problem in my first RX then switched to the Dunlop ones and the difference is from night and day.
Old 08-07-12, 06:53 AM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Default Dunlops

Originally Posted by Quatro40
Is the Michelin tires! they are harsh, I had the same problem in my first RX then switched to the Dunlop ones and the difference is from night and day.
What kind of Dunlops? Do you have 19" or 18" wheels? I have 19"
Old 08-07-12, 07:31 AM
jacsonlin
Driver School Candidate

To quote SVOFAN1,

I have tried my old bridgestone, loaner's Dunlop, and friend's Michelin then finally Pirelli. Without doubt, the latest green model of Pirelli is Best. Pirelli>Michelin>Dunlop>Bridgestone, All 19" wheel tyres except my old 18" Bridgestone. If you have tried, you will know.

Last edited by jacsonlin; 08-07-12 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-07-12, 09:51 AM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Those Pirellis are sounding real good. The underlying question is why we have to go through all this in the first place. No one seems to have an answer.
Old 08-07-12, 10:06 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. Those Pirellis are sounding real good. The underlying question is why we have to go through all this in the first place. No one seems to have an answer.
Same reason people say one color is better than the other; most of it is strictlyy a matter of opinion and not some proven fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)