RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Old 11-24-14, 01:01 PM
bob01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am impressed with the quality of responses on this forum. Thanks to all. I wrote a couple of weeks ago about regretting buying a 2015 RX AWD (normal, not 450h or F) due to ride harshness. Update: I drove a 2015 FWD for comparison on an identical section of concrete road which serves as a good test due to "bumps." The lead mechanic of my local N. Calif. dealer suggested the FWD would be less harsh and I agree. He told me the RX loaner I had while they worked on my ES would have been FWD. I based my 2015 purchase on that experience. Perhaps the FWD has a different rear suspension than the AWD and maybe the shocks would be interchangeable with those of the AWD. (I asked the mechanic about changing my AWD suspension to the FWD on a more global basis---not just rear shocks. Answer: can't be done and prohibitedly expensive if it could.)

Putting extra weight in the rear seems promising as some writers have said the RX 450h, which is heavier in the rear, has a softer ride. I gained some improvement with tire pressure at 30 psi vs spec of 32 psi, but not enough.

I will not have more to write as I sold the RX, feeling it was better to take the loss now and save my back. I relied too much on the loaner experience and Lexus ride reputation and agree with one writer's criticism that I should have investigated more carefully, especially given a chronic back problem.

Last edited by bob01; 11-24-14 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 07:42 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob01
I am impressed with the quality of responses on this forum. Thanks to all. I wrote a couple of weeks ago about regretting buying a 2015 RX AWD (normal, not 450h or F) due to ride harshness. Update: I drove a 2015 FWD for comparison on an identical section of concrete road which serves as a good test due to "bumps." The lead mechanic of my local N. Calif. dealer suggested the FWD would be less harsh and I agree. He told me the RX loaner I had while they worked on my ES would have been FWD. I based my 2015 purchase on that experience. Perhaps the FWD has a different rear suspension than the AWD and maybe the shocks would be interchangeable with those of the AWD. (I asked the mechanic about changing my AWD suspension to the FWD on a more global basis---not just rear shocks. Answer: can't be done and prohibitedly expensive if it could.)

Putting extra weight in the rear seems promising as some writers have said the RX 450h, which is heavier in the rear, has a softer ride. I gained some improvement with tire pressure at 30 psi vs spec of 32 psi, but not enough.

I will not have more to write as I sold the RX, feeling it was better to take the loss now and save my back. I relied too much on the loaner experience and Lexus ride reputation and agree with one writer's criticism that I should have investigated more carefully, especially given a chronic back problem.
Ah, that is my answer. Trade my 2012 in for a nice shiny new 450h

On other news, in my general travels today I did not notice the harshness the way I sometimes do. Weight in the back or just warmer asphalt on the roads? Who knows?
Old 11-25-14, 02:49 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

This thread has gone in a shocking direction, pun intended.
Old 11-25-14, 06:03 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Nicely played sir, nicely played
Old 11-26-14, 04:41 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you decided on what vehicle will replace the RX?

Originally Posted by vlad_a

^^LOL very good
Old 11-27-14, 11:58 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I have done some extensive driving over the holiday. I am happy to report that I have noticed a definitive change in the harshness of the back axle with the extra weight in the back.

It makes me very happy. The car handles better enough that I am fine with any decrease in mileage. It is quite worth it.

I'll add up the exact poundage and report back tomorrow.

Maybe not a home run, but a good solid double, or maybe even a triple.

By all means, if you have this issue, give it a whirl. But be sure to use sand. Total price for 100 pounds of sand about ten or fifteen bucks. And in snow areas, you can use the sand for traction if needed
Old 11-28-14, 11:06 AM
bob01
Driver School Candidate

JT4, Regarding a replacement for the sold 15RX AWD, for the time bring I am going to continue with my 02 ES. At 100k miles, it still has a lot of life left; it is maintained regularly by Lexus. If I were to replace the ES with another ES I would go with a 2012 or earlier as 2013 onward ESs have a stiffer suspension--as does the Toyota Camry and Avalon. Ultimately I will probably buy a used LS. It comes in an AWD version but given my RX experience I would have to see if there is a ride difference with AWD.

I am starting my search with Consumer Reports (laughable, I know). They rate the ride with a symbol so there is more of an apples to apples comparison. Unfortunately ride includes body sway but each vehicle report has a narrative on "Ride" which, while not perfect for comparing stiffness, is quite helpful. They think the 2013 (+?) Lincoln MKZ ride rivals some high end European sedans and is better than the current Lexus ES. Likewise the Buick Lacrosse and Ford Fusion. The Mercedes E class may be a candidate but I think not as good a ride as the Lexus LS. The E is smaller and has better fuel economy. Mercedes S class is too large and too expensive but may have the best ride of all per Consumer Reports. The LS is a little larger than I would like but smaller than the M-B S. I can live with the LS size. bob01
Old 12-01-14, 07:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Bob, I would look for a vehicle that has double-wishbone suspension up front and back, e.g. GS350. Then, I would check for aftermarket support. I can't say enough good things about Koni components. If there's anything Europeans know how to do, it is suspension.
As I mentioned before, my IS300 has very stiff Eibach springs, but I adjusted Koni shocks to make the ride very comfortable. It amazes me how well it works each time I drive it. I will take it on a long road trip any time. Now, the STi I got has softer springs, but shocks are way too stiff. So, I'm still using my ol' IS300 as my DD.
Old 12-05-14, 08:30 PM
cless
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am glad that I am not the only one with the same harshness problem.
I have a 2010 RX fwd and I noticed that some fwd (the first ones) comes with shock absorbers in the rear and AWD (and new FWD) comes with struts (checked sewell). I thought Lexus changed to struts to improve the ride and I was thinking of changing the rear suspension for the improved one. Then luckily I read your posts and I realized even the improved rear suspension has issues too...

I changed my shocks when I noticed the old ones were leaking oil and the ride GOT WORSE!!!
Maybe they had a break in period but I alrealdy used them for 20k miles... I think is less bumpy when it had weight in the rear but not very sure... The thing is, if your ride has shocks the only ones you can buy are the OEM ones... (48531-0E130) No aftermarket parts for them...
Old 12-07-14, 05:03 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

JT4, Regarding a replacement for the sold 15RX AWD, for the time bring I am going to continue with my 02 ES. At 100k miles, it still has a lot of life left; it is maintained regularly by Lexus. If I were to replace the ES with another ES I would go with a 2012 or earlier as 2013 onward ESs have a stiffer suspension--as does the Toyota Camry and Avalon. Ultimately I will probably buy a used LS. It comes in an AWD version but given my RX experience I would have to see if there is a ride difference with AWD.

I am starting my search with Consumer Reports (laughable, I know). They rate the ride with a symbol so there is more of an apples to apples comparison. Unfortunately ride includes body sway but each vehicle report has a narrative on "Ride" which, while not perfect for comparing stiffness, is quite helpful. They think the 2013 (+?) Lincoln MKZ ride rivals some high end European sedans and is better than the current Lexus ES. Likewise the Buick Lacrosse and Ford Fusion. The Mercedes E class may be a candidate but I think not as good a ride as the Lexus LS. The E is smaller and has better fuel economy. Mercedes S class is too large and too expensive but may have the best ride of all per Consumer Reports. The LS is a little larger than I would like but smaller than the M-B S. I can live with the LS size. bob01
Good luck with whatever you decide..
Old 12-07-14, 09:31 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If one replaces all shock absorbers with adjustable ones and dials all down to the lowest (smoothest?) level, do you think the ride be comparable to a Camry?
Old 12-07-14, 11:51 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tqh
If one replaces all shock absorbers with adjustable ones and dials all down to the lowest (smoothest?) level, do you think the ride be comparable to a Camry?
I read on this forum that there are no after-market shocks for the RX. Anyone else?
Old 12-08-14, 11:40 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqh
Probably better. You don't want to put it on the softest setting, as there would be too much bounce. You want to tune-out the exact frequency that causes road unevenness to make its way though the vehicle body. The way I tuned my IS was set it on the stiffest setting and then dial back both front and rear until road joints are no longer noticeable. I miss that car now!

However, as Ray mentioned above, there are no direct aftermarket replacements.
Old 12-08-14, 08:18 PM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cless
Hi, I am glad that I am not the only one with the same harshness problem.
I have a 2010 RX fwd and I noticed that some fwd (the first ones) comes with shock absorbers in the rear and AWD (and new FWD) comes with struts (checked sewell). I thought Lexus changed to struts to improve the ride and I was thinking of changing the rear suspension for the improved one. Then luckily I read your posts and I realized even the improved rear suspension has issues too...

I changed my shocks when I noticed the old ones were leaking oil and the ride GOT WORSE!!!
Maybe they had a break in period but I alrealdy used them for 20k miles... I think is less bumpy when it had weight in the rear but not very sure... The thing is, if your ride has shocks the only ones you can buy are the OEM ones... (48531-0E130) No aftermarket parts for them...
KYB Shock 349203 will fit the rear of a 2011-2015 RX350 if you have rear shocks on your 2010 they show them on the KYB Outlet Site
Old 12-08-14, 11:07 PM
tqh
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, I am completely new to this shock absorber thing
My stupid question is: do shocks have specs like tires so that as long as we can find shocks with the same specs (length and ends?), we can replace?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)