RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 05:47 PM
HWDRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have something to add in case your reading this and have not bought yet. I have been through two new RX's in two weeks. Dealer sold me a FWD and then had to take it back as it could not tow. I now have the AWD. Had the first one for a week and put on 600 miles. Both are the RX450h. Ok, so the Front wheel drive was delivered with about 40 PSI cold. Adjusted the pressure and the ride smoothed out. I had Bridgestones on that unit. I also noticed that after about 500 miles the ride got better, or my mind was playing tricks. Either way, it seemed better. Then, gave that car back. Got the RX450h AWD. It has Dunlop tires. Again, too much air from the dealer. I reset the pressures to specification on the door and the ride got better. Also, I just had the hitch put on the car. While in process they gave me an RX350. I checked the pressure to be sure, slight adjustment needed, and then off I went. I can tell you that the extra weight of the Hybrid units does seem to smooth out the ride considerably. The hybrid simply seems to be better planted. I am not going to suggest that the handling is any better but the ride is! Of course this does not justify the cost over the gas unit however I put on about 25K per year and am often in stop and go so this closes the gap for me personally. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-12, 07:48 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@HWDRX , the RX 350 FWD is NOT intended for towing.
It's in the manual. your dealer dropped the ball there if they advertised otherwise.
anyway, i agree with your take on the 450h, the added weight adds stability, cosiderably.
Old 04-20-12, 11:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you have a sedan before the RX. The modern SUV are actually stiffly sprung most of the time to aid in stability, roll over avoidance, as well as making the car more nimble to help sell them ( People want their SUVs to drive like cars). I have an LS460 currently in the shop for 60 k service and I have been driving a 2012 RX350 for 5 days and it feels like a sports car going around corners compared to the LS460. I know what you mean by stiff ride but for and SUV its an excellent ride and pretty comfortable.
Old 04-21-12, 12:38 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NCbigred
I have owned Chevy Eqinox and Trailblazer SUVs. Never had a complaint about a bumpy ride like my new RX350. I have checked tire pressure and have over 4000 miles. Still a rough ride. Reviews of the RX describe the ride as plush. Not plush yo me. I am still curious about whether anyone has ever actually gone to the trouble of switching to smaller tires. Call me crazy. Thanks for your feedback.
NC, I believe if you had gotten the RX350 with the 18-inch wheels, you would probably notice that the ride would be smoother. I noticed this with a loaner that I got to drive while bringing my 2010 RX in for its scheduled service. I have the 19's on my RX; and, yes, as opposed to the 2007 RX that I drove for four years, it is more stiff and somewhat bumpier. If I had to do it all over again, I would get the RX with the 18-inch wheels in a chrome version. This would make up for the stylishness and look that the 19's have.
Old 04-21-12, 07:11 AM
gqscholar
Driver

I read through the thread and in all honesty I don't agree.

I have a 2012 Lexus RX with the 19 inch wheels and it drives very smooth IMO.

Just as smooth as the 2011 Lexus RX my parents have with the 18 inch wheels.

Maybe its just me.
Old 04-21-12, 08:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gqscholar
I read through the thread and in all honesty I don't agree.

I have a 2012 Lexus RX with the 19 inch wheels and it drives very smooth IMO.

Just as smooth as the 2011 Lexus RX my parents have with the 18 inch wheels.

Maybe its just me.
I feel the same way, I've drive my brothers RX450h on numerous occasions for lengthy distances and at no point do I feel the ride was bumpy, or harsh. Sure, it's stiffer than my RX300, but it's still very smooth and does a good job of isolating the imperfections on the road.
Old 06-07-12, 06:40 AM
watsonle
Driver School Candidate

Default You are not alone

After purchasing a new 2011 RX350 with the 19" rims I quickly became unhappy with overly choppy ride quality but I figured this is what it is. On a perfectly smooth road the ride is flawless even at 90mph but when the road imperfections appear, the choppy ride starts.

Then I sold my 2006 LX 430 ( Think couch quality ride) and bought a second 2007 RX350 and what a difference in ride! The 2007 had a ride comparible to the LX430 I just traded in

Well the 2011 has 19" Bridgestone’s and the 2007 has 18" Michelin’s MXV4's so I'm guessing based on other comments that the rough choppy ride is a combination of 19" rims and the Bridgestone all terrain tires.

I certainly wish I had know this before purchasing as I now perfer to drive the 2007 for long trips while the 2011 sits in the garage.

So for those who comment on based on what I would say that I have the base for comparison.

I was hoping that after a few thousand miles the suspension would settle in as other have commented but so far NADA.

When the time comes I will switch to Michelin’s but in the meantime will deal with the issue. Other than this absolutely love the RX350's will probably remain loyal to Lexus.

So you are not alone and it is not an isolated incident. Hope we can eventually solve the problem.

Last edited by watsonle; 06-07-12 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 07:11 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2012 RX 350 and have the 19" wheels with the softer springs which reduce overall load weight by I think 12 lbs and supposedly improve the ride. I shudder to think what the ride was like prior to the softer springs. I also changed out the Dunlops to Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires and reduced the air pressure from 36 to 32 PSI.

The ride is improved over what it was after picking it up from the dealer but it's not as good as my LS 430 or LX 470, possibly because of the shorter wheelbase and a suspension with only 1200 miles or so on it. It's too rough for me, but my wife doesn't mind. She greatly prefers the vehicle over her previous LX 470, which had become too large and ponderous for her.
Old 06-07-12, 11:02 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to everyone who's complaining about the RX bumpy ride..
i dare you to try the Mercedes ML 350.. then let's talk after that.
Old 06-07-12, 07:59 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

MarkRivers,

I just rode in/drove a 2012 SRX for 700 miles last weekend. I can assure you that it rides much more..."sharply" than my '08 400h. The owner HATES it and has contacted Cadillac to complain. The longer wheelbase gives less "longitudinal rocking," but overall the RX is smoother. On the other hand, the SRX outhandles my RX.

Seems to me the 1st & 2nd generation RXs simply ride smoother. Although the 3rd generation might handle better, who buys an RX for handling? I have yet to drive a 2013 because I won't be making a move until the fall. I did test drive a Murano LE the other day and it was somewhat simlar to my '08 RX.
Old 06-09-12, 04:32 AM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that the previous generation RX drives smoother than the current third gen RX. But my theory on the 18 and 19-inch wheels on the third-gen RX has been thrown out now thanks to driving a 2012 loaner RX for the past week(I'm still driving it, as they're waiting on a part -- replacing the transmission axle on my 2010 RX) The loaner I'm driving has the 19-inch wheels, but it definitely drives much better than my 2010. How did you guys hear about the "Softer springs" on the 2012 RX's? I was discussing with my S/A at Lexus as to what they could have done to the 2012's as opposed to the 2010's that is making the 2012 drive so much better, but we couldn't figure out what they would have done.
Old 06-12-12, 06:19 AM
watsonle
Driver School Candidate

Default Question

Originally Posted by Paul B
I have a 2012 RX 350 and have the 19" wheels with the softer springs which reduce overall load weight by I think 12 lbs and supposedly improve the ride. I shudder to think what the ride was like prior to the softer springs. I also changed out the Dunlops to Pirelli Scorpion All Season tires and reduced the air pressure from 36 to 32 PSI.

The ride is improved over what it was after picking it up from the dealer but it's not as good as my LS 430 or LX 470, possibly because of the shorter wheelbase and a suspension with only 1200 miles or so on it. It's too rough for me, but my wife doesn't mind. She greatly prefers the vehicle over her previous LX 470, which had become too large and ponderous for her.
What do you mean by softer springs. Is this something the dealer installed after you had the car? If so what was the cost and how long did it take?

I would like to find out if this is an option for me. Do you have any of the part numbers of what they used?

Thanks!!
Old 06-12-12, 01:52 PM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markrivers
to everyone who's complaining about the RX bumpy ride..
i dare you to try the Mercedes ML 350.. then let's talk after that.
Not to mention the floppy highway ride - swaying back and forth like an ancient commuter train on loose rails.
Old 06-12-12, 03:09 PM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

I did drive the ML350 when I was thinking of getting rid of my RX - OMG, it was awful. The sales rep was embarassed.
Old 06-12-12, 03:13 PM
Tropicsun
Driver School Candidate

Talk to me about the "softer springs". I need something.
The following users liked this post:
Rence (02-24-22)

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)