RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 08:24 AM
recycled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contemplating buying an RX350. What years do you consider having a softer suspension?
G
Old 09-12-14, 08:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

We get these complains from former 2RX owners all the time. Apparently, 2RX used to have softer springs and less aggressive shocks, which resulted in a floating feel that some are accustomed to. 3RX has the suspension dialed-in for less float, which is better for body roll and handling.
I have the RX450h model and am very happy with the suspension tuning. For what it is, they have done a very grand job. No complains on my side.

FWIW, Earlier 3RX years had issues with rear struts leaking, resulting in a harsh ride.
Old 09-12-14, 08:56 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 2002 RX, which up until the last year or so had a nice boat feeling ride where you couldn't feel bumps and rolled over dips like they weren't there.
I just recently got a 2015, which has the optional 19" wheels so they may add to the harshness. I know they changed the suspension quite a bit from the 1st gen models. My 2015 definitely has more of a truck feeling than my 2002 did. Granted it's still a nice ride and not like some other SUV's/Pickups that are out there, but it's not that smoothness I was used to in the 2002.
As for less body roll, I remember feeling quite a bit of lean in my 2002 at times, whereas the 2015 I don't think I've noticed it.
Old 09-12-14, 10:45 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My first RX is a 14 and I love the ride. Can't get much smoother for me
Old 09-12-14, 11:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

There is one factor to keep in mind, as shocks get old, they get less efficient at stopping spring bounce. This produced the boat-like ride. In fact, that's how worn shocks are checked, a car is bumped up and down to see if it will keep bouncing. If it does, shocks need to be replaced.
So, it only makes sense for older RXs to have a perceived softer ride.
Old 09-12-14, 11:08 AM
Mors
Pole Position

My old RX didn't keep bouncing, but I would think it needed new shocks/struts. Early on in its life (for many many years), the ride was so smooth. At the end before I sold it (just a few months ago), I could feel every dip and hole in the road - wasn't terribly harsh and still a nice ride - just not as nice as it once was. Just to reiterate, my new one is harsher to start out with.

@greeknasty: do you have 18" or 19" tires? Driving over dips in the road, do you kinda move in your seat - like a truck would cause you to do?
Old 10-31-14, 07:24 AM
somecar
Driver School Candidate

Angry

We traded in our 2009 Lexus 350RX for a new 2014 model. We are very disappointed in the way the car takes bumps. The 2009 was fine in this regard, but the 2014 is horrible. The dealer says that changing the 19 inch wheels to 18 inch would make a difference, but Lexus says that it will only make a minor difference. My wife has back problems and we will have to get rid of the car: Will not buy another Lexus. The sales people should have told us that Lexus had changed the suspension. We only took the car out for a short ride on smooth roads because we were confident that the Lexus had a good ride based on our 2009 model. Not happy with the Lexus, and not happy with the dealer.
Old 10-31-14, 07:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by somecar
We traded in our 2009 Lexus 350RX for a new 2014 model. We are very disappointed in the way the car takes bumps. The 2009 was fine in this regard, but the 2014 is horrible. The dealer says that changing the 19 inch wheels to 18 inch would make a difference, but Lexus says that it will only make a minor difference. My wife has back problems and we will have to get rid of the car: Will not buy another Lexus. The sales people should have told us that Lexus had changed the suspension. We only took the car out for a short ride on smooth roads because we were confident that the Lexus had a good ride based on our 2009 model. Not happy with the Lexus, and not happy with the dealer.
Why don't you just go to your dealer and ask to drive one with the 18"s to see if there's a difference? I have 18"s on my 2013 and the last thing I would ever say about the RX is that it offers a rough/harsh ride.
Old 10-31-14, 06:28 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raylor4
Discovered something recently. While going over a speed bump in a parking lot, I noticed the front wheels took it nicely with acceptable smoothness. The rear wheels bounced us up an down like a BB in a boxcar. Now I think the rear shocks are too stiff for whatever reason, since they don't match the shock absorbing ability of the front shocks. I realize the engine weight up front and lack of weight at the back will contribute to this situation. When I go back to the dealers because they did not rotate my tires as part of an oil change, I will discuss this with them, and keep you posted.
'11RX350 CPO.
Ray A.
Ray,

What was the outcome? If your rear is bouncing up and down, your shocks are shot. That's exactly what they are intended to eliminate (to an extend, or it would affect comfort).
Old 10-31-14, 06:30 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Does anyone in an RX450h have a complaint about the ride being uncomfortably stiff? Mine is exact opposite and just right. Of course, all non-custom 450h came with 19' wheels.
Old 10-31-14, 10:57 PM
bob01
Driver School Candidate

somecar,

I just purchased a 2015 RX 350 AWD and have a hard ride I didn't expect based on a loaner RX I had driven while by 02 ES was being repaired. I also have a back problem which will not tolerate the harsh ride. The dealer's lead mechanic says the 2012 or 2013 RX loaner would have been FWD which has a softer suspension, but a newer ES would be even softer. maybe so but in 2013 Lexus made the ES suspension stiffer per reviews I have read. I am going to sell the RX and seek a non-Lexus alternative as they seem to be abandoning those of us who have sought out Lexus because of their reputation of producing cars with an excellent ride. I may consider a FWD if the ride is a lot better but I doubt it will be; for ride quality a sedan is likely the way to go.

Is your RX an AWD or FWD?

bob01

Last edited by bob01; 10-31-14 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-01-14, 02:01 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your spending 45000+ on a newer model and you don't takeit for an extensive test ride? Also a quick check on these and other sites might have guided you into driving it first and I don't mean one that you are not buying. Even when I ordered cars and trucks no money swapped hands until I came back from driving it WITHOUT a sales person distracting me during the drive. I have an 2012 with 19" wheels and it is like driving my reclined down the road. Good luck and don't forget the test drive first.
Old 11-01-14, 09:32 AM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob01
somecar,

I just purchased a 2015 RX 350 AWD and have a hard ride I didn't expect based on a loaner RX I had driven while by 02 ES was being repaired. I also have a back problem which will not tolerate the harsh ride. The dealer's lead mechanic says the 2012 or 2013 RX loaner would have been FWD which has a softer suspension, but a newer ES would be even softer. maybe so but in 2013 Lexus made the ES suspension stiffer per reviews I have read. I am going to sell the RX and seek a non-Lexus alternative as they seem to be abandoning those of us who have sought out Lexus because of their reputation of producing cars with an excellent ride. I may consider a FWD if the ride is a lot better but I doubt it will be; for ride quality a sedan is likely the way to go.

Is your RX an AWD or FWD?

bob01
I bought a 2015 RX350 AWD and was not happy with the ride it had 19" Dunlop tires.
I replaced them with the Bridgestone - Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia and it rides much better so you may want to check your tire brand and psi that can affect the ride quality also.
Old 11-01-14, 11:57 AM
pokemon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garygve
I bought a 2015 RX350 AWD and was not happy with the ride it had 19" Dunlop tires.
I replaced them with the Bridgestone - Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia and it rides much better so you may want to check your tire brand and psi that can affect the ride quality also.
Are these tires quieter than the originals? I found my 2105 RX350 is very noisy.
Old 11-01-14, 02:09 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I am thinking of Bridgestone's for my next tire. These Michelin's are good, but WAY too harsh of a ride. Way.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)