RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Entertainment System 450h question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 07:45 AM
namsupak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Entertainment System 450h question

Recently bought the Lexus 450h and the Rear Entertainment system is an Aftermarket system. It was delivered to my wife yesterday and I had thought they were going to put in the Factory system. After looking at the current system I am kind of concerned about it.

The system looks to be an Invison SL system that is in the headrests. The concern I have is that we use the rear entertainment for our young children and they can't wear the headphones. the way it is set up the audio only comes through the headphones, it won't come over the car speakers. Plus the headphones if they could wear them are not volume limiting

Also someone needs to be in the back to start or stop the dvds. The other luxury suv we have has the factory dvd system. Audio comes over the main speakers and we can start/stop the dvd with controls from the main console in the front.

this is not a knock on invision but for our setup it seems like the factory would be better.

I would like to have to the factory system because I like to have it all integrated and working together.

Have any of you had any experience with this sort of thing? I am mainly looking for advice on what I should do next. Or maybe am I missing something. Thanks.
Old 03-12-14, 08:19 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The factory system is extremely expensive. The dealer pulled a fast one on you. You could plug the aftermarket system into the AUX input in the glove box. That will get you sound through the speakers.

BTW, the 2013+ factory Nav does play DVDs while parked on the main screen. That is the only time my kids are allowed to watch videos in the car. At least until I put an override on the speed sensor on the nav.

Look at the bright side. There was another member here who got an aftermarket screen installed in the middle of the roof and it was blocking the rearview mirror:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ion-issue.html
Old 03-12-14, 08:21 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is also this solution.
Old 03-17-14, 06:40 AM
susanne78
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2010 Lexus RX450H. It has no rear entertainment system so I have been trying to get information on getting one installed. My Lexus dealership also uses Invision. I was told that unless the vehicle is ordered with the rear entertainment system, you cannot get the Lexus factory system.
Old 03-17-14, 08:27 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by susanne78
I just bought a 2010 Lexus RX450H. It has no rear entertainment system so I have been trying to get information on getting one installed. My Lexus dealership also uses Invision. I was told that unless the vehicle is ordered with the rear entertainment system, you cannot get the Lexus factory system.
Welcome to Club Lexus, susanne78.

You might be better served with a tablet or two mounted for rear viewing, such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-solution.html

Cheaper and it allows you to update to the latest tech without much fuss nor expense.
Old 03-17-14, 11:25 AM
namsupak
Driver School Candidate

So I have been playing with the system and I am not sure I really like the whole Invision system, one of the remotes actually does not work (concerning since it is a new system), and the B monitor is on the drivers side, the A monitor is on the passenger side, and the junction where the headrest meets the seat appears to have a small white plastic piece pull almost up and out when moving the headrest (also concerning for quality issues).

So anyhow to cut to the chase. I talked to the dealership and they have given me the option of having it fixed and remote replaced, or refunding me the money and having it taken out. I have been looking at the ipad thing but one of the main concerns we had were controlling the system from the front console (simple stuff like volume and start/stop). Is there not an aftermarket system that will mesh with the lexus console programs as well as give a nice clean look?

Thanks for your help and I looked at the above links, I feel bad for the person with the center screen from the roof, that looks like a mess.
Old 03-17-14, 11:51 AM
susanne78
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! I have only owned Acuras (and one crappy Honda Pilot) prior. So far I am loving the Lexus! The rear entertainment system has been quite a hassle though.

My only issue with that set up is that I would have to take the Ipad in and out.

I contacted Invision directly, they will do the install for much less than the dealership (actually more than half off what the dealer quoted me) I am still just up in the air on what I want to do. I wish I could just purchase the one that Lexus puts in their vehicles at the factory.
Old 03-17-14, 12:28 PM
namsupak
Driver School Candidate

My quote for the dual headrests was 1799.00, which I thought was reasonable. They did tell me that I was getting a deal as well.
Old 03-17-14, 08:52 PM
namsupak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The factory system is extremely expensive. The dealer pulled a fast one on you. You could plug the aftermarket system into the AUX input in the glove box. That will get you sound through the speakers.

BTW, the 2013+ factory Nav does play DVDs while parked on the main screen. That is the only time my kids are allowed to watch videos in the car. At least until I put an override on the speed sensor on the nav.

Look at the bright side. There was another member here who got an aftermarket screen installed in the middle of the roof and it was blocking the rearview mirror:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ion-issue.html
Wow, the dvd will play on the front console without any hack?
Old 03-18-14, 05:04 PM
namsupak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by susanne78
Thank you! I have only owned Acuras (and one crappy Honda Pilot) prior. So far I am loving the Lexus! The rear entertainment system has been quite a hassle though.

My only issue with that set up is that I would have to take the Ipad in and out.

I contacted Invision directly, they will do the install for much less than the dealership (actually more than half off what the dealer quoted me) I am still just up in the air on what I want to do. I wish I could just purchase the one that Lexus puts in their vehicles at the factory.
Agreed I would rather have the factory as well. The Dealership has been very helpful though so I don't think they pulled anything on us. The salesman has also been great, we have just been trying to figure out a solution that works best for our situation. I am interested in an ipad system as well but then I fear we will have the same problem with the no audio throughout the whole car. If we bluetooth the ipads for audio then wont that disconnect the phone used for calling while driving.
Old 03-18-14, 05:12 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Unfortunately, what you are looking for with full integration like the one the factory installs does not exist. There will be some deficiency, like the Bluetooth conflict, control from up front, etc.

Once you didn't get the factory one, you became defacto limited. Mind you, the iPad mount idea is probably the most cost effective, as the children grow, and will very quickly be able to do things on their own.

I have the factory system on my GX and it's very nice. I solely ordered it with it due to the HDMI connection added for 2014. On long trips I bring an Apple TV box and stream Netflix and Hulu through my WiFi hotspot phone.

On my LS, I installed an iPad mount as a work around, since I was not going to put an Invision or similar system in this car.
It works great, and was very cost effective.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 03-18-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 07:57 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by namsupak
Wow, the dvd will play on the front console without any hack?
That is correct. Vehicle must be stationary with the parking brake engaged. Unfortunately, they went an extra mile in disabling video while in motion by monitoring the speed sensor. Same sensor is used to update navigation movement.
Old 03-18-14, 07:59 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by namsupak
Agreed I would rather have the factory as well. The Dealership has been very helpful though so I don't think they pulled anything on us. The salesman has also been great, we have just been trying to figure out a solution that works best for our situation. I am interested in an ipad system as well but then I fear we will have the same problem with the no audio throughout the whole car. If we bluetooth the ipads for audio then wont that disconnect the phone used for calling while driving.
With the iPad, you have 2 options. One is to use the USB connector. It will stream the audio through it. That was a pain to figure out why my iPhone was loosing bluetooth audio on a road trip when I brought the USB cable along.

The second option is bluetooth audio. Again, found out the hard way that the phone and audio device use 2 different bluetooth streams. Unfortunately, there may be some unpredictability in which device will be used as a primary each time you start the car.

Well, actually, it is 3 options. The 3rd one is the most obvious - to use the AUX-IN port.