RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Window Tinting - Dealer melted door leather :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 07:59 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Attica
I'm not really one for complaining / having to chase for customer service.

Ive been in once, sent 3 emails, 2 phone calls and escalated it to the head customer services manager. I can't force them. I think that can actually be worse. I would prefer to get it fixed by someone who i know wants to help/do a good job than someone i've had to chase/complain at and is then begrudgingly doing it.

Worse case scenario is they won't pay or contribute anything once its fixed.
I believe you are too soft. Dealers are known for this kind of thing. You need to step into the dealer in person and put up a show, refuse to move until its fixed and do their head in. That is how it goes, I had to do the same with my wheel which they fixed after they realised I was having none of their crap
Old 05-30-14, 08:06 AM
Kyle76
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to jump in here with some thoughts. Feel free to ignore them because they're mostly just my opinions.
1. You've only actually showed up at the dealership one time. Emails and phone calls are easy to ignore or get lost in the shuffle, maybe even innocently. A person is not easy to ignore. If you are serious about reimbursement, you need to put your boots on the dealership floor and deal with this issue in person.
2. Don't be so quick to have the repair done by someone else. You have a good case here, but you need to realize that once you fix things, there is almost no chance for reimbursement. Maybe you've thought of that and are OK with it. If not, don't rush to the repair shop and ruin your chances of a settlement. The damage may have to be seen by a regional Lexus rep for you to get any money.
3. The longer you wait, the better the chance that the damage will self-repair to some extent, maybe even to a level you can live with. There's no way that I would spend anywhere near $2,300 for what looks to be a pretty minor cosmetic issue. Yes, it may grate at you every time you look at it, but over time (and with perhaps some natural improvement), maybe you can learn to live with it. Time is a healer, and $2,300 is some serious coin. Waiting could help your case for a subsidized repair or get you to the point where you can live with it.
Old 05-30-14, 09:55 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez, where is the person who sold you the car? I would be in his office every day till it's made right. Here , it's the sales person's job to deliver the car in pristine condition, period. We're not talking here about a " corner used car lot" this is a Lexus dealership!
It disappoints me that a Lexus Dealer would treat a customer this way. There simply is no excuse.
Old 05-30-14, 11:46 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive been in once, sent 3 emails, 2 phone calls and escalated it to the head customer services manager. I can't force them. I think that can actually be worse. I would prefer to get it fixed by someone who i know wants to help/do a good job than someone i've had to chase/complain at and is then begrudgingly doing it.

You might want to post your dissatisfaction on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wildelexus

You might just get some positive replies from the dealership then. Nothing to loose.
Old 05-30-14, 08:20 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a small claims court where you live? At my location I believe it only costs $25-30 to file for up to a total of $5000. You do not need a lawyer. If they fail to show up a judgement is made against them. If they do not talk to you after they get the summons then you can see them in court and get it sorted out.

C

Last edited by cavedawg; 05-30-14 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 10:05 AM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Once you pay out of pocket to fix this issue, your chances of getting anything back decrease from slim to none.
+1000

As another poster and I have mentioned - show up in person and be assertive. I imagine they'll try to pull some of the same tactics as if you were in there to buy a car (try to make you wait, bounce you around between a couple people, etc.). If it was $2k of my money + time, I would not leave there without a formally printed repair contract or a check in hand.

I'd use social media as a last resort because at that point all you're doing from their standpoint is damaging their reputation (once again maybe deserved). However, they won't be at all inclined to help you after you do that - talk about one expensive post.

Litigation would be my last last resort as that can be a hassle.
Old 05-31-14, 04:04 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I definitely would not pay for damage the dealer/window tinter did. I would email the dealership advising when you will be bringing your vehicle in and that you will be leaving it and expect to have a loaner. Without going into detail I had an issue several years ago with my 2004, the dealership looked at my issue, provided a loaner, and let me know when I could pick my vehicle up. The OP stated Wilde Lexus of Sarasota, I had the Tampa dealership handle my problems without much issue. I would make Wilde fix the problem...
Old 05-31-14, 07:47 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they did the damage, they should fix it ! Customer service is there for "customer service".
I think at this point I'd call Lexus corporate customer service and let them know what has been going on for months.
Old 05-31-14, 08:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thought i'd give a quick update..

After waiting another week and getting no response I obtained the name of the dealership customer service manager, Jay Losey, and wrote to him personally.

His reply was basically, I will ask the detail department to get back to you. Obviously he didn't want to know.

I then received an email from the detail department saying they will get back to me.

That was 2 months ago.

I sent another email, left phone messages. No response / call back.

I suppose they count on a percentage of people will just give up and go away. The dealership in question is Wilde Lexus of Sarasota.

I have today contacted a different dealership to get the doors fixed. It is going to cost me $2300 and another day off work. However I first need to get the window tinting fixed so i'm looking for a good window tinting company in the Sarasota area if anyone has any recommendations?.

A very frustrating, ongoing, inconveniencing, Lexus experience.
I thought $2300 was high, but it's accurate since the parts alone are about 1800$. Essentially, the entire door panel on each side would need to be replaced.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2013.html

I understand most folks who posted here want resolution from the dealer and they are right in advising you to be persistent in person. It's what I would do especially on a brand new car. However, some people are just not confrontational and would rather avoid this at all costs (literally). With this said, if you prefer this route, have you considered going to a reputable leather/vinyl repair shop in your area? Get a quote and decide to bring this to the dealer as a sign of good faith showing them you took initiative in doing the research for the repair, or if it's less stressful for you for the sake of closure, just go ahead and spend the money on the repair. Personally, I would never spend $2300 for a full blown door panel replacement for the small vinyl damage you got. If you were willing to do this, save ~$2K and get the vinyl repair done to move on and enjoy your new RX - it will look 99% new for about 200-400$. (The past RXh I bought pre-owned had a tear in the rear armrest from the lot. Dealer got it repaired before delivery to me. They said it was about $200 which they absorbed of course).

PS. found this repair shop in Sarasota: http://www.fibrenew.com/sarasota_bradenton/
They also have an online estimate request that includes uploading pics, for convenience...
https://www.fibrenew.com/sarasota_br...estimate-form/

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-31-14 at 08:50 PM.