RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Window Tinting - Dealer melted door leather :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 10:21 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

The dealership did mine on 2/28, the tint looks good but I guess I better look at the top of the door- didn't really check out the passenger side that closely. But regarding your problem, I agree with calling Lexus corporate- let the dealership get your car, give you a loaner, and make it right.
Old 05-29-14, 03:11 PM
Attica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought i'd give a quick update..

After waiting another week and getting no response I obtained the name of the dealership customer service manager, Jay Losey, and wrote to him personally.

His reply was basically, I will ask the detail department to get back to you. Obviously he didn't want to know.

I then received an email from the detail department saying they will get back to me.

That was 2 months ago.

I sent another email, left phone messages. No response / call back.

I suppose they count on a percentage of people will just give up and go away. The dealership in question is Wilde Lexus of Sarasota.

I have today contacted a different dealership to get the doors fixed. It is going to cost me $2300 and another day off work. However I first need to get the window tinting fixed so i'm looking for a good window tinting company in the Sarasota area if anyone has any recommendations?.

A very frustrating, ongoing, inconveniencing, Lexus experience.

Last edited by Attica; 05-29-14 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-29-14, 03:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Attica
The dealership in question is Wilde Lexus of Sarasota.
And that about sums up the state of Lexus customer service here on the west coast of FL these days.

Best of luck. Fight the good fight.
Old 05-29-14, 04:56 PM
dwlink
Driver

Unfortunately, you already dropped the name of the dealership so you just lost that bargaining power.

If the dealership isn't that far from you, I would just show up in person with a positive attitude. I know you situation is absolutely ridiculous, and yes, the dealership probably deserves to be shamed to all corners of the earth for the way they've handled things thus far. However, no one likes to be yelled at and I think you'll have much more success with your situation should you act professional and courteous to whomever meets with you.

Its very common for dealerships to outsource things such as simple mods or bodywork so I would imagine they have some type of agreement with their 3rd party to handle liabilities.

Ideally what should happen (from the dealership's perspective) is they will replace the door panel themselves which will cost them substantially less than $2300 as their labor cost will just be the mechanic's rate + some overhead + parts/shipping at invoice. It will then be between the dealership and the 3rd party to settle up on cost.

I wouldn't expect any type of compensation from the dealership other than maybe a free detail or oil change at best along with an apology. I can't imagine them compensating you for your time missed from work as it'd be hard to justify how you spent 8+ hours making calls?

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-29-14, 05:29 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I have today contacted a different dealership to get the doors fixed. It is going to cost me $2300 and another day off work. However I first need to get the window tinting fixed so i'm looking for a good window tinting company in the Sarasota area if anyone has any recommendations?.
Do you have an official quote in writing regarding the damage costs? If so, I would put together a short letter addressed to Wade Tucker who was the General Manager there at Wilde last time I knew. Be nice in the letter and keep it short, but give them until Wednesday to reply or else they give you no other choice than to file a report with the BBB. Attach a copy of the quote you received for the repair along with printouts of their emailed replies to you on the matter. Put in an envelope, be sure to address it appropriately and as professionally as possible on the outside just as if you were mailing it, and take it personally to the dealership. Hand it to the person at the front desk and explain that your vehicle had been damaged while in for service and as you have been given the runaround you would expect Mr. Tucker to view the enclosed materials and that you expect him to get back with you immediately on the matter. Get their name and then walk out, go home and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

If there is no word by Thursday then you file a report with the BBB. Cheaper than a lawyer and should get their attention. The dealership will not want a blemish on their BBB rating.
Old 05-29-14, 05:31 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I can't imagine them compensating you for your time missed from work as it'd be hard to justify how you spent 8+ hours making calls?
Because they keep you on hold for 15-20 minutes at a time each time you call. Then, when you finally do get a chance to talk to someone they put you back on hold for another 15-20 minutes while they look into your situation.
Old 05-29-14, 06:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

dwlink, I actually think the opposite. The dealer should be thinking about damage control by stepping up and doing the right thing. Attica has been more than patient. BTW, I wouldn't be paying anything out of my pocket and keep on them. Filing a complaint with BBB like RX330inFL said is a good idea. The dealer would be obligated to respond if they're a member. It's something you can do without spending any money or taking more time off. And I wouldn't recommend tinting your windows again until you have a satisfactory resolution. No need to complicate the situation. Good luck.
Old 05-29-14, 07:00 PM
Attica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwlink
Unfortunately, you already dropped the name of the dealership so you just lost that bargaining power.

If the dealership isn't that far from you, I would just show up in person with a positive attitude. I know you situation is absolutely ridiculous, and yes, the dealership probably deserves to be shamed to all corners of the earth for the way they've handled things thus far. However, no one likes to be yelled at and I think you'll have much more success with your situation should you act professional and courteous to whomever meets with you.

Its very common for dealerships to outsource things such as simple mods or bodywork so I would imagine they have some type of agreement with their 3rd party to handle liabilities.

Ideally what should happen (from the dealership's perspective) is they will replace the door panel themselves which will cost them substantially less than $2300 as their labor cost will just be the mechanic's rate + some overhead + parts/shipping at invoice. It will then be between the dealership and the 3rd party to settle up on cost.

I wouldn't expect any type of compensation from the dealership other than maybe a free detail or oil change at best along with an apology. I can't imagine them compensating you for your time missed from work as it'd be hard to justify how you spent 8+ hours making calls?

Good luck and keep us posted!
I don't need or want bargaining power.
I have been patient and polite to this dealer.
I haven't spent 8+ hours making phone calls.
I don't expect compensation.
I don't know where you're getting your information.
Old 05-29-14, 07:21 PM
Attica
Driver School Candidate

RX330inFL / Kitlz . Thank you for your support.
The easiest option for me at this stage is just to get it all fixed and then send the dealer the bill. I just need to find a reputable window tinting company now since I need to get this done before the panels are replaced.
I will be glad to finally get it fixed. The worst of the damage is in my vision line so i cant help look at it every day.
Old 05-29-14, 07:27 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't need or want bargaining power.
I have been patient and polite to this dealer.
I haven't spent 8+ hours making phone calls.
I don't expect compensation.
I don't know where you're getting your information.
Why don't you just go visit the dealer in person? It would be pretty hard to ignore you.
Old 05-29-14, 07:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

RX330inFL / Kitlz . Thank you for your support.
The easiest option for me at this stage is just to get it all fixed and then send the dealer the bill. I just need to find a reputable window tinting company now since I need to get this done before the panels are replaced.
I will be glad to finally get it fixed. The worst of the damage is in my vision line so i cant help look at it every day.
You might be better served by giving Wilde one more chance to make things right and by going to the top of the ladder for a final action or at least going to BBB before having repairs made. Otherwise, they can state that you did not give them a proper chance to fix the vehicle for you and they can dig in their heels.

But hey, your vehicle and your call.
Old 05-30-14, 06:25 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Considering your vehicle was damaged, maybe you should talk to your insurance agent to offset the out of pocket cost. Calling the dealer is useless. They like to keep you waiting - gives them a feeling of control.
If there is any chance to get the dealer moving, that would be by keeping pressure on the corporate.
Old 05-30-14, 06:28 AM
Kyle76
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me see if I have this straight: you're going to spend $2,300 out of pocket with Dealership B to fix a problem caused by Dealership A with no agreement in place for Dealership A to reimburse you for your expenses? I don't see this plan turning out well at all, unless you have just resolved to pay for the repairs yourself.
Old 05-30-14, 06:34 AM
Attica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4482
Why don't you just go visit the dealer in person? It would be pretty hard to ignore you.
I'm not really one for complaining / having to chase for customer service.

Ive been in once, sent 3 emails, 2 phone calls and escalated it to the head customer services manager. I can't force them. I think that can actually be worse. I would prefer to get it fixed by someone who i know wants to help/do a good job than someone i've had to chase/complain at and is then begrudgingly doing it.

Worse case scenario is they won't pay or contribute anything once its fixed.
Old 05-30-14, 07:04 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Once you pay out of pocket to fix this issue, your chances of getting anything back decrease from slim to none.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting - Dealer melted door leather :(