RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Carplay" just around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-14, 02:09 PM
FunnyDba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty Happy with the Eyes Free in the 2015

While I think car play will be neat. I'm extremely happy with the 2015 RX 350 Technology stack. The Siri Eyes Free was a very nice add in the 2014 model year.
Old 11-28-14, 10:17 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Carplay and Android Auto demo on a 2015 Hyundai Sonata.

I like that you get the interface of the phone you plug in.

I was a bit surprised that this was a plug-in experience rather than wireless.

I'm wondering if Lexus with the Enform service, and possibly GM with Onstar, will resist this interface without a way to tie their systems into it. We have renewed our subscription to the Enform service and like being able to talk to a live person and get a destination loaded into the navigation system. It would be the best of both worlds to have Enform and Google Maps work together.

Last edited by Tom558; 11-28-14 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Added service/integration comment.
Old 02-12-15, 11:56 PM
sinuspain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I think that is a bit harsh a criticism considering Apple did not announce this technology until earlier this year. Your Lexus LS's development was locked in a long time ago for production purposes and you cannot just snap your fingers and make changes such as this to implement in the middle of a production run. Suppliers of the necessary parts need time to design, test and ramp up production.

Do not believe you will see Hyundai nor Kia with anything using CarPlay until the 2015 model year.
Heh, you think that Lexus did not know about it before the announced it? Come on man...

Its most likely because they aren't ready to move on from the Lexus Enform system and don't want to start putting touchscreens
Old 06-05-18, 05:14 AM
goodfellow
Driver School Candidate

Default CarPlay upgrade recommendations

Hi guys,

I am looking for comments or experiences with the following devices that claim to add Apple CarPlay features to a 2013 RX 350. Which one would you recommend or is there an alternative solution?
https://www.navtool.com/
http://www.kammu.com/shop/apple-carp...nd-land-rover/
Smartphone Mirroring and Navigation and DVD in Motion Adapter for Select 2013+ Lexus models
Amazon Amazon
Or
http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html

Thanks for your feedback,
Herb
Old 06-05-18, 06:06 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Welcome to CL. You may want to post your question in the electronics area to increase the chance of an answer. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lectronics-12/

Or, try the search feature which works very well, in both forums to see if it has been asked before. I suspect it may have been.
Old 08-12-18, 11:50 PM
nesh
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CarPlay with Rx 450h using navtool

Has anyone successfully installed CarPlay or android auto on their 3rd gen RX?

Tonight when googling, I came across this product called navtool and was wondering if anyone had tried this or something similar?
http://www.navtool.com/lexus-rx-2010...e-carplay.aspx

Any info is appreciated before I drop $600 or so.
Old 08-13-18, 06:11 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I was curious about this too. One thing I did learn researching this prior, is the CPU unit is vehicle specific and can't move to a different generation of Lexus NAV with a different cable, etc.

That held me back from buying as I don't know how much longer I will have my particular RX.
Old 08-13-18, 07:55 AM
MightyP
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an interesting concept, but I'd have to know more before investing. I added screen mirroring to the aftermarket head unit on my 4runner and while it's neat, it connects through RCA cables, so I lose a lot of resolution. Enough loss that it's hard to read street names on the HU screen.

This unit is interesting, and, if it has better resolution than RCA provides, it would probably work fine, but I'm not thrilled with the little control box. I don't want a rather clunky looking controller mounted to my center console. Ideally, I just want to find a way to add a female HDMI connection to the factory head unit. Then all you have to do is get a Roku/Firestick to plug in a screen cast. Still have to control it from your phone, but it'll work well.

Saw this one on the CL vendor page and it at least is controlled through the factory inputs. My other questions remain though. https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/grom-vl2-lex8.html

Old 08-22-18, 01:30 PM
lexdriv
Driver School Candidate

i just installed this in my RX

Old 08-23-18, 02:31 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I drive a 2014 Lexus rx350

I am VERY interested in having apple carplay in my vehicle, however, I have found almost no reviews or guides in regards to navtool. I have questions that I can't seem to get answered before I make a purchase.

1: So the mouse will work with this?
2: Will the radio still be able to be played AND controlled via the steering wheel controls? Of course, Bluetooth music should be controllable as well.
3: Will the backup camera when placing the car in reverse switch on if apple car play is already activated?

To my understanding, if you install their system, anytime you plug your iPhone in via lightning cable for Apple, the car will switch to apple carplay mode. This would be AWESOME to have the beautifully crafted functionality of apple carplay rather than the somewhat clunky and utterly worthless nav system from Lexus.
Old 08-26-18, 04:27 AM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdriv
i just installed this in my RX

https://youtu.be/HSVa8bxsY8s
We’d like to know more about your experience. There are some good questions already posted on the forum.
Old 08-27-18, 02:31 PM
nesh
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphapidge
I drive a 2014 Lexus rx350

I am VERY interested in having apple carplay in my vehicle, however, I have found almost no reviews or guides in regards to navtool. I have questions that I can't seem to get answered before I make a purchase.

1: So the mouse will work with this?
2: Will the radio still be able to be played AND controlled via the steering wheel controls? Of course, Bluetooth music should be controllable as well.
3: Will the backup camera when placing the car in reverse switch on if apple car play is already activated?

To my understanding, if you install their system, anytime you plug your iPhone in via lightning cable for Apple, the car will switch to apple carplay mode. This would be AWESOME to have the beautifully crafted functionality of apple carplay rather than the somewhat clunky and utterly worthless nav system from Lexus.
I'd recommend contacting navtool via facebook messenger. That's what I did and the replies were really quick during normal business hours.
Old 09-03-18, 02:33 PM
Tryer
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if that's really worth it if you have a 2014 or newer with Siri EyesFree and a "Plus" sized iPhone where the screen isn't really much smaller than even the 7 inch navigation display built into a 3rd generation RX?
There is a new iPhone model released later this month rumored to have a huge 6.5 inch screen.
It is't very hard to pop on a magnetic vent mount or ProClip mount for an iPhone and use Siri EyesFree to control it and you have some of the CarPlay functionality with no
electronic modifications required. Even the existing iPhone 8 Plus screen is a good size as is.

Mount

I don't think the Navtool device is integrated with the steering wheel controls, so you would need to use a separate remote for it which would make it kind of clunky to use.
Is there any CarPlay accessory that works with the existing steering wheel controls?
Old 09-22-18, 10:46 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that Apple CarPlay includes Google Maps, I'd love to be able to add CarPlay to my 2010 RX450H. I've looked at this device and it's a little clunky with the separate remote that you stick on the steering wheel. I'd love to be able to have it be a bit more integrated such that the steering wheel and mouse continue to work. Anyone know of any other options? Alternatively, anyone with the NAVTool that can give some real world feedback. I think the one person that said that they posted it is probably from NAVTool...

Last edited by Gottspd; 09-22-18 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 12:10 PM
Alphapidge
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Now that Apple CarPlay includes Google Maps, I'd love to be able to add CarPlay to my 2010 RX450H. I've looked at this device and it's a little clunky with the separate remote that you stick on the steering wheel. I'd love to be able to have it be a bit more integrated such that the steering wheel and mouse continues to work. Anyone know of any other options? Alternatively, anyone with the NAVTool that can give some real world feedback. I think the one person that said that they posted it is probably from NAVTool...
I am also still curious.

I contacted Navtool on facebook and they said all factory functions would still be usable, but the video they have is of a non-nav system meaning it has te turn wheel. I want to know if I could use my steering wheel AND my mouse in my 2014 lexus rx350 to do all normal functions + carplay before spending the $400+ it would take for me to get this system. No users have reported using navtool.

Quick Reply: "Carplay" just around the corner