RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

security question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 05:39 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default security question

My 2013 rx was broken into last night and they stole some valuables from it.I am pretty sure I locked door but not 100% sure.I heard that they can steal/crack code for fob.I was wondering how to reset the fob,is this possible?
Old 02-26-14, 05:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Any kind of fob programming would have to be done at your local Lexus dealer.

Sorry to hear about the break-in.
Old 02-26-14, 06:03 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about a Viper security system?

Lots of discussion here, mostly regarding remote start but the system can do both.
Old 02-27-14, 06:28 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

During my career in high-tech software, we had a saying: "If a person can design it, another person can hack it."

It's amazing to me the amount of effort that intelligent people put into illegal activities.
Old 02-27-14, 07:03 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

More likely than not that you didn't lock it. Doubt if someone is going to go through the not so easy process of hacking FOB just to steal a pair of glasses, gps, or other random stuff people keep in the cars.

Pretty common for a thief to walk down the block taking a pull of door handles in case someone made a mistake and didn't lock the door. If door opens, likely alarm wasn't set and thus no noise and easy pickings.

Agree with Viper suggestion, i'm a big fan.
Old 02-27-14, 08:51 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
My 2013 rx was broken into last night and they stole some valuables from it.I am pretty sure I locked door but not 100% sure.I heard that they can steal/crack code for fob.I was wondering how to reset the fob,is this possible?
Usually, the fobs are retransmitted. But those professionals will take your vehicle, not break into it. It is much easier to drill a hole to get access to the CANBUS interface wiring. Then send the command to unlock the car. Are all of door handles in one piece?
Old 02-27-14, 09:29 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Any kind of fob programming would have to be done at your local Lexus dealer.

Sorry to hear about the break-in.
ok i will call them thx
Old 02-27-14, 09:30 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tom558
How about a Viper security system?

Lots of discussion here, mostly regarding remote start but the system can do both.
its a lease, so i dont want to put money in to it
Old 02-27-14, 09:32 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
More likely than not that you didn't lock it. Doubt if someone is going to go through the not so easy process of hacking FOB just to steal a pair of glasses, gps, or other random stuff people keep in the cars.

Pretty common for a thief to walk down the block taking a pull of door handles in case someone made a mistake and didn't lock the door. If door opens, likely alarm wasn't set and thus no noise and easy pickings.

Agree with Viper suggestion, i'm a big fan.
That was my first thought also but after talking to neighbors it appears to be rampant around here.They all had their doors locked also
Old 02-27-14, 09:33 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Usually, the fobs are retransmitted. But those professionals will take your vehicle, not break into it. It is much easier to drill a hole to get access to the CANBUS interface wiring. Then send the command to unlock the car. Are all of door handles in one piece?
yes no damage to vehicle
Old 02-27-14, 10:05 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

nightdiff, I'm glad there wasn't any damage to your RX. I saw reports on the news last night/this morning about how thieves are stealing rims and leaving cars on blocks in one section of NY. Now you mentioned neighbors said it's rampant. Was anyone else victimized the same night? Any cameras in the area? Chances are they'll be caught. In the meantime, make sure the RX is locked and don't keep valuables inside.
Old 02-27-14, 11:20 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
That was my first thought also but after talking to neighbors it appears to be rampant around here.They all had their doors locked also
Thaits weird and would seem extremely high tech for property theft. We had an incdent in my old neighborhood where it happened but they smashed the windows of 15-20 vehicles in a 2 block radius and rummaged through looking for stuff.

Would be interesting to know the other types of vehicles that were targeted (all push button start, etc). Where the cars in driveways or street parking? not sure if you're in NYC or not.
Old 02-27-14, 11:49 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

its' probably the new electronic device that are capable of cracking the codes in seconds. they did a special on the latest problem and show captured incident where thieves were able to easily open the locks on what seems to be Japanese vehicles but failed to open GM vehicle. thieves rummaged through the vehicle but didn't damage windows or interior.

Have lived in NJ/NY, its way of life so don't expect anything from police to solve this anytime soon or ever. best protection is garage since alarm really doesn't deter the criminals.
Old 02-27-14, 05:23 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

it was in my driveway .I was wondering if there is way to set the alarm so it automatically sets and locks door say after 15 mins if you forget to set it manually.
Old 02-27-14, 05:25 PM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Does the fob signal change everytime you hit it?Are does it send out same code?

Quick Reply: security question