RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus RX saved my life

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 04:55 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Vehicle Stability

Originally Posted by dat dude
I was driving down a road covered with ice, I subsequently lost control and was right in the path of a cliff, the VDIM system immediately kicked in and I gained control. I'm so sure that if I was driving any other car I would've gone straight down that cliff and it would've been fatal. I have a new respect for the RX, I will NEVER buy anything but an RX.
You are now free to change your handle to "Dat Grateful Dude" : )
My 04 Highlander got squirrel-y on a black ice patch going downhill on a curve recently, and while in the process of getting straightened out, I heard a faint beep three times, seemingly coming from the instrument cluster. I was too busy steering straight ahead to look down. Does anyone know if this was the VSC kicking in? I'm glad something helped me avoid skidding off the road. My passenger credited me with excellent driving, so I took the credit. HA HA
I'm not off topic here, wife's car is an RX. I assume it has the same safeguards.
Ray
Old 02-21-14, 07:51 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
After exploring the site further, it shows VDIM as being available on the RX350 with the Technology Package, so I stand corrected on my previous post.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automobiles/rx#/handling

VDIM

Seamlessly integrating an array of handling and traction control systems, Lexus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) is standard on RX 350 F SPORT and RX 450h (also available on RX 350 Technology Package). VDIM delivers unparalleled straight-line stability, precise cornering performance, and sporty, crossover-exclusive driving capability.
The way Lexus configured the Lexus is confusing. Back in 2011 only UP1 and UP2 had the option while the Touring and Sport just had VSC.
Old 02-21-14, 07:52 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raylor4
You are now free to change your handle to "Dat Grateful Dude" : )
My 04 Highlander got squirrel-y on a black ice patch going downhill on a curve recently, and while in the process of getting straightened out, I heard a faint beep three times, seemingly coming from the instrument cluster. I was too busy steering straight ahead to look down. Does anyone know if this was the VSC kicking in? I'm glad something helped me avoid skidding off the road. My passenger credited me with excellent driving, so I took the credit. HA HA
I'm not off topic here, wife's car is an RX. I assume it has the same safeguards.
Ray
LOL honestly I think I should. Honestly I think Toyota/Lexus have done an amazing job with their system. I doubt my crappy 4matic would've done the same in the situation I was in.

It might have been VSC kicking in and what year and package is your wifes' RX?
Old 02-21-14, 07:56 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Glad you are here to tell us about it. The RX350 really is a great car!
Thank you so much!! It could have ended a whole lot worse, but thanks to the RX it didn't!
Old 02-21-14, 07:59 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
dad dude, glad to hear you and your RX are safe. I agree, VDIM is a great feature. I've been encountering my share of black ice the past few weeks between melting snow and salt shortage. In fact the last time was just yesterday morning. Considering the weight of the RX, it's nothing short of astounding. Be safe out there.
Thank You! And yes it's been nuts outside and we here are also experiencing a salt shortage which doesn't make things any better. I will agree with you 100%, this was actually my first encounter really giving the VDIM system a run for it's money I was actually shocked at how it handled the situation. To be honest I didn't expect it to stop.
Old 02-21-14, 10:04 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
LOL honestly I think I should. Honestly I think Toyota/Lexus have done an amazing job with their system. I doubt my crappy 4matic would've done the same in the situation I was in.

It might have been VSC kicking in and what year and package is your wifes' RX?
2011 FWD, Matador Red, Vanilla Interior, Premium Pkg, Premium wheels, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Brake Assist, Vehicle Stability Control, Smart Stop Technology, Wood Steering Wheel (Copied from window sticker) No Nav.

Ray
Old 02-21-14, 10:57 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
According to the Canadian Lexus web site, only the RX350 F Sport and the hybrid have VDIM. Perhaps they changed that after your 2011? It's hard to keep up with the changes sometimes. It shows the regular RX350 has having Acitve Torque Control System, Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, and the Hill-start Assist Control, but no VDIM. Nonetheless, happy to hear it turned out okay for you.
Sigh. You guys up in Canada, and even in Europe get a lot of the extra goodies that we in the U.S. don't get, or used to have. I remember seeing a video on Youtube of a 2013 or 2014 RX350 in Canada that has the auto high beams and the adaptive forward lighting that Lexus took away from U.S. RX's for 2013 and 2014. And another example just to name a few is the Kia Optima. You can get that vehicle with rain-sensing wipers in Canada, but not in the States.
Old 02-22-14, 03:18 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you didn't slip down the cliff..love our '14 F Sport in our Lake Effect Michigan Winters!
Old 02-22-14, 06:01 AM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question. How is the VDIM different from normal VSC, awd, traction control etc on the Rx. In ice, etc wouldn't those systems also save you. Would appreciate a detailed response if someone knows.
Old 02-22-14, 07:12 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jsanders
Question. How is the VDIM different from normal VSC, awd, traction control etc on the Rx. In ice, etc wouldn't those systems also save you. Would appreciate a detailed response if someone knows.
Google your question and you'll get plenty of info...................................... one example is this video -
Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-22-14, 04:18 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Sigh. You guys up in Canada, and even in Europe get a lot of the extra goodies that we in the U.S. don't get, or used to have. I remember seeing a video on Youtube of a 2013 or 2014 RX350 in Canada that has the auto high beams and the adaptive forward lighting that Lexus took away from U.S. RX's for 2013 and 2014. And another example just to name a few is the Kia Optima. You can get that vehicle with rain-sensing wipers in Canada, but not in the States.
I think the auto high beams were taken away from our '13-'14 models as well. But you guys in the states benefit from cheaper MSRP prices than we do here.
Old 02-22-14, 04:20 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Browninggo
Glad you didn't slip down the cliff..love our '14 F Sport in our Lake Effect Michigan Winters!
Thank You! I can only imagine how bad your winters must be, summer needs to come soon!
Old 02-22-14, 04:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'll settle for spring or when all the snow finally melts, whatever comes first, LOL!

Great video, azinn. I've experienced the benefit of VDIM but it makes me appreciate it that much more.

Last edited by kitlz; 02-22-14 at 04:46 PM.