RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote Touch Navigation problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 06:48 PM
jdecker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Remote Touch Navigation problems

The joystick in my RX350 is not functions when I first start the car. It can take anywhere from a minute to 5 minutes before it starts working. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Old 02-20-14, 02:04 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problems. A trip to the dealer will likely be required. I wish they had mounted the screen a little more back and given us a touch screen as the "mouse" system is horrible compared to my LX.
Old 02-20-14, 01:57 PM
dxr
Driver School Candidate

Having had both a touch screen in my IS300 and the mouse now in my RX, I absolutely love the mouse. I feel like it gets a ton of mixed reviews and is a love it or hate it item. My sister who has a 7 series LOVES the lexus mouse vs her iDrive doohicky. I feel touch screens to be very inaccurate and you constantly have to look at what you're pressing AND the screen has to be lower which makes it tough to look at and drive at the same time.

With the mouse, over time you get used to where buttons are and how many clicks or feels it takes to get to where u need to go and only owning our RX for a few weeks and driving it much less than my wife does, I can already almost do most functions w/out even looking at the screen.

Sorry for the ramble, but that's just my touch screen vs remote touch babble. I know there's a whole nother thread for this haha

But I do agree that this needs to be taken to the dealership. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old 02-20-14, 02:15 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

For me, it is a hate relationship with the joystick. We are not in the 80s anymore.
Smart phones moved to exclusive touch-screen interface from dedicated buttons for a reason.

OP, sounds like a warranty repair. If you are out of warranty, you may want to start looking at junk yards / ebay for a replacement unit.

However, if it is not under warranty, at least reboot the system by disconnecting the battery. I would then remove the joystick and plug it back in to see if it helps.
Old 02-20-14, 02:23 PM
dxr
Driver School Candidate

i completely agree w/what you're saying but that's also why phone's are dangerous to operate while driving... you almost exclusively have to look at it to know where to navigate. and also placement of the screen... usually it needs to be high so you can glance at it while you're driving... in the case of my friend's tesla... you stil have to look at the interface to do very simple things like a/c controls and radio controls. ***** and buttons belong in a car. Touchscreens involve too much looking away IMO.
Old 02-20-14, 03:11 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

If you place the phone high enough, then you don't have to look down. In my IS300, I have windshield-mounted TomTom unit. It may be old, but it is SO much better than the OEM system in the RX. The 3d graphics alone blow the 2D RX unit out of the water.
Old 02-20-14, 06:50 PM
jdecker
Driver School Candidate

I love the joystick when it is working properly! I don't think I am still in warranty and I have done the battery thing already and it is still doing the same thing.
Old 02-20-14, 09:37 PM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touch screens in phones do not seem to last beyond 2 years - I am skeptical about them lasting in a vehicle that is exposed to temperature extremes and mechanical vibrations. My son has bought a Dodge Dart with climate, navigation, radio/cd and loads of other stuff controllable via a touch screen. I am persuading him to buy extended warranty just to cover the screen which costs $1700+labor to replace.
Old 02-21-14, 02:07 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Two years? Never seen that. All of mine have never failed, ever.
Old 02-21-14, 08:46 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by elba123
Touch screens in phones do not seem to last beyond 2 years - I am skeptical about them lasting in a vehicle that is exposed to temperature extremes and mechanical vibrations. My son has bought a Dodge Dart with climate, navigation, radio/cd and loads of other stuff controllable via a touch screen. I am persuading him to buy extended warranty just to cover the screen which costs $1700+labor to replace.
I had touchscreen installed in my IS300 10+ years go. Still going strong. No issues with an old TomTom GPS with touchscreen either. Nor have I heard such a claim with iPhone/IPad/iPod devices. My last smartphone with a touchscreen lasted over 3 years.

Now, if my son owned a Doge Dart, I would absolutely recommend getting an extended warranty, but for other reasons.
Old 02-21-14, 08:50 AM
wallykeys
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the joy stick myself! When I was test driving other vehicles on my search for an SUV, one of the things that bothered me was their touch screens for all controls. It took way too much time looking away from the road in search of where I needed to place my finger, and the lack of a tactical feel bothered me!
Old 02-21-14, 10:01 AM
dxr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wallykeys
I like the joy stick myself! When I was test driving other vehicles on my search for an SUV, one of the things that bothered me was their touch screens for all controls. It took way too much time looking away from the road in search of where I needed to place my finger, and the lack of a tactical feel bothered me!
my thoughts exactly. but to each their own. Like I said, the remote touch is love/hate. I especially hate when my nails have gotten a little long and i stab the screen with my nail or I have to contort my hand to avoid the stab lol
Old 02-25-14, 08:48 AM
jdecker
Driver School Candidate

found out I am still under warranty, thank god!!! I will let y'all know what they say when I get it back..