RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sport Mode Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 06:26 PM
Yummy66
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Mode Instructions?

Forgive me if this is a really basic question. I'm a new 450h owner and I need some instruction using the different modes like Sport Mode. I can't find anything in the manual. Is it called something else? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-14, 06:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I believe it's only available on the F-Sport 450h model which is not available in N. America. I could be wrong but scroll through the LCD display in the dash to see if you have this:
Attached Thumbnails Sport Mode Instructions?-sportmode.jpg  
Old 02-20-14, 05:17 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default It is on US 450h

It's on my 2103 (non-F) 450h.

Let's see if I can remember and describe -
Right side of the steering wheel, inner set of buttons, click the middle button to get to the menu of Modes, which will appear on the info area at the top of the instrument panel. Then use the up and down buttons to scroll through Eco, Sport, Snow, etc, and click the center button to select.
Something like that.

You have to select it each time you start the car, it reverts to normal.

As I understand it, Sport Mode does two things, increases throttle response and "tightens" the electric steering assist. I love the steering feel, don't like the throttle response. It feels to me like it tightens up the suspension, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Jonas
Old 02-20-14, 07:11 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Jonas is right on.

I virtually never use the Sport mode. The throttle response makes passengers nauseous. Normal mode works just fine.

NA 450h does not have an adjustable suspension, so the sport mode had no effect on it.
Old 02-20-14, 09:01 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I LOVE sport mode! Its so much fun! Throttle response is crazy fast, very good for spirited driving.
Old 02-20-14, 03:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Glad you guys confirmed it's available on all 450h's. Ironically, it's not available on the 350 F-Sport.
Old 02-21-14, 10:24 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When do you all use the sport mode? I find the improved throttle response entertaining around town, but the change to the steering is very subtle, and almost goes unnoticed by me unless I try to notice. The changes to the hybrid system and transmission seem to have a big impact to mileage in local driving, which is where I expect to see the biggest advantage to the hybrid. I also find it too much of a pain to use in local driving because it defaults back to normal every time you turn off the car. The truth is, I unusually just forget to turn sport mode back on. Do you really notice the improved throttle response during highway trips? Do you like the improved steering response at highway speed?
Old 02-22-14, 05:42 AM
gotin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By RX450h "When engaged, Sport mode not only modifies the throttle and electric-power-steering settings for faster response, but also is said to provide less-intrusive operation of the car’s stability- and traction-control systems."

Tightening up the suspension is available by other Lexus vehicles, for example GS450h, where you have Sport and Sport+ mode. I agree that the throttle response makes passengers nauseous. Even when I am alone, I do not like the feeling. Fuel efficiency also suffers noticeably in Sport mode.

There is only one real application for me - when you drive on a curvy mountain road and you have to overtake another vehicle super fast. Sport mode is really great and I get the feeling that I am playing a video game! The increased ICE and electric motors response is just rocketing the vehicle. I can overtake other vehicles when no other SUV driver would dare to start such a maneuver. The feeling is great BUT it is best to engage Sport mode just before the overtaking and to switch it OFF after you complete the maneuver, if you are not planing a next one, because of the above described nauseous feeling. In that moment when you have to pay high attention to road conditions you have to start navigating the RX450h menus ?!? By every other vehicle I know, including other Lexus hybrids, the Sport mode is activated by a button or a switch.

If the Lexus engineers did not find a place for a Sport mode activation button it is best to move TRAC OFF in the menu and use the same button for Sport mode ON/OFF. In such a case Sport mode will be really useful feature. For the last 13 years since I drive Lexus vehicles with TRAC OFF button I used it only several times.
During my last one hour drive to a ski resort I used the Sport mode more than 10 times.

Sport mode is great feature, but I really do not like the decision of LEXUS engineers to install a TRAC OFF button in my vehicle and to force me to navigate through the menus every time when I need Sport mode.