RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Chains?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 10:48 AM
mlerskine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chains?

I'm new to my '14 RX with AWD. I'm about to cross a mountain pass on an interstate with plenty of snow. The car has the Dunlops it came with. I know the state patrol does not require chains on cars with AWD, but does anyone use them on their RX (and which wheels- front or back, or should I avoid using them because of clearence issues?
Old 02-11-14, 10:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

According to the manual, if you do use them, put them on the front tires:

■Tire chain installation
Observe the following precautions when installing and removing chains:
●Install and remove tire chains in a safe location.
●Install tire chains on the front tires only. Do not install tire chains on the rear tires.
●Install the tire chains on front tires as tightly as possible. Retighten chains after
driving 1/4 ⎯ 1/2 mile (0.5 ⎯ 1.0 km).
●Install tire chains following the instructions provided with the tire chains.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-05.pdf
Old 02-11-14, 11:03 AM
mlerskine
Driver School Candidate

Thanks JDR76!
Old 02-11-14, 11:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mlerskine
Thanks JDR76!
Anytime!
Old 02-12-14, 05:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leghost
Technically speaking you do not have the type of AWD that a knowing
WASP would give a "pass" to. Your rear drive engages ONLY during low
speed acceleration. If you have a TC off function ('14, should) you
should be prepared to make use of it.

During this time of year I keep 2 sets of tire chains on board,
initially for the REAR ("drag chains"), and add the fronts only if
needed, rarely. But then my '01 has wheel spacers to add clearance for
chains.

FWD or front drive biased vehicles are quite hazardous enough on a
poor traction surface and chains only on the front MULTIPLY the
hazards.
Washington State Patrol, on it's own web site states that AWD (not only 4WD) is exempt from the chains requirement as long as the gears to all wheels are enabled and chains for one set of tires are carried in the vehicle. In the RX, gears to the rear wheels are always enabled, and can be locked if necessary.

Please explain how chains on the front will make it more hazardous. We should probably notify Lexus so they can take this dangerous configuration out of the owner's manual…
Old 02-12-14, 07:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Washington State Patrol, on it's own web site states that AWD (not only 4WD) is exempt from the chains requirement as long as the gears to all wheels are enabled and chains for one set of tires are carried in the vehicle. In the RX, gears to the rear wheels are always enabled, and can be locked if necessary.

Please explain how chains on the front will make it more hazardous. We should probably notify Lexus so they can take this dangerous configuration out of the owner's manual…
I am wondering if the WSP web site is using information based on the previous generation of RX. The 2nd Generation RX AWD system is described as follows:

Advanced All-Wheel Drive
The AWD RX 350 model features a viscous limited-slip center differential, which enhances drivability in all types of driving conditions. The full-time AWD system provides a constant 50/50 front-to-rear power split. If slippage occurs, the viscous differential directs torque to the wheels with the most traction.

So, as you can see there is a difference in how the AWD system works in the newer 3rd Generation RX vehicles when compared to the previous generation. Will not speak for the 1st Generation folks. As a result, information does not get updated when it should and individuals begin to confuse the two lumping them all in one camp or the other. Personally, I would think the Owner's Manual would be more correct than anything from a government agency.

I believe another confusing item which has been mentioned before here on CL is that the new RX AWD do not have a badge on the vehicle indicating it is such as in years past.
Old 02-12-14, 08:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

There is no information on the WASP web site specific to the RX, so I'm not sure I follow you. The web site simply states that both 4WD and AWD negate the requirement for chains.

So according to your description in your post, the RX meets this requirement.
Old 02-12-14, 08:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Just for reference, here's the actual verbiage from the WASP FAQ page, about chains requirements:

"I have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle. When "Chains Required" signs are posted, do I have to use chains?

No. All-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050."

The RX AWD system is always in gear, but even so, can be locked if required, and of course chains can be carried, so yes, with all season tires, the RX meets this requirement and can go across the pass without chains when chains are required, just like other AWD and 4WD SUVs.

As for whether or not an officer is going to believe you that it is AWD, and not just FWD, frankly it seems a little silly. If you've been through this situation on the passes here, you know that cars line up for miles in the backup, and the officers patrolling really don't have time to argue with you over this. They simply ask if you have AWD/4WD and chains or not and that's it. They don't check for emblems or anything else. If it was an issue, I suppose you could always show them the center lock switch, or keep your window sticker in the glove box, to show them your vehicle is equipped with the system, but I have never had this issue before, in many, many years of frequent trips over the mountain passes.
Old 02-12-14, 09:51 PM
splee99
Driver School Candidate

I have driven to many snow area with 4WD/AWD, never used chains. I think with the RX350 you could lock the differentials in emergency cases, but you don't have to do that usually.
Old 02-13-14, 04:30 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
According to the manual, if you do use them, put them on the front tires:

■Tire chain installation
Observe the following precautions when installing and removing chains:
●Install and remove tire chains in a safe location.
●Install tire chains on the front tires only. Do not install tire chains on the rear tires.
●Install the tire chains on front tires as tightly as possible. Retighten chains after
driving 1/4 ⎯ 1/2 mile (0.5 ⎯ 1.0 km).
●Install tire chains following the instructions provided with the tire chains.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_02-05.pdf
Great info, well said sir!
Old 02-13-14, 09:31 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I am wondering if the WSP web site is using information based on the previous generation of RX. The 2nd Generation RX AWD system is described as follows:

Advanced All-Wheel Drive
The AWD RX 350 model features a viscous limited-slip center differential, which enhances drivability in all types of driving conditions. The full-time AWD system provides a constant 50/50 front-to-rear power split. If slippage occurs, the viscous differential directs torque to the wheels with the most traction.

So, as you can see there is a difference in how the AWD system works in the newer 3rd Generation RX vehicles when compared to the previous generation. Will not speak for the 1st Generation folks. As a result, information does not get updated when it should and individuals begin to confuse the two lumping them all in one camp or the other. Personally, I would think the Owner's Manual would be more correct than anything from a government agency.

I believe another confusing item which has been mentioned before here on CL is that the new RX AWD do not have a badge on the vehicle indicating it is such as in years past.
Im on my 3rd AWD RX the latest is 2014 RX350 Fsport and I don't remember ever seeing any AWD badging on any RX, only a VSC badge on some of the 2001 and newer RX300s.
Old 02-13-14, 04:35 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Chains Alternative

I called Lexus of Bellevue and they recommended Autosock (which they sell for $99-it's made in Norway). This is a non-metallic alternative to chains and is approved by WSP for use when chains are required. Les Schwab wouldn't even sell me chains for my '13 RX!

Plus, the Autosock, if you use it, will not scratch up your wheels!
Old 02-14-14, 11:29 AM
mlerskine
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone's input, and also to my Washington state neighbors! Going to Bellevue Lexus today to pick up the Autosock. Looks like this is all I need to point to whether on the wheels or not in case a WA State trooper asks if I have "chains" which, according to their site, I need to have in possession when they deem "required".

Thanks again everyone!