RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: What are your disappointments with your RX?
Styling
1.85%
Ride/Comfort
18.52%
Handling
7.41%
Interior/Cargo Space
5.56%
Features/Functionality
37.04%
Price/Value
1.85%
Noise/Squeaks/Rattles
35.19%
Powertrain
5.56%
Fuel Economy
24.07%
Paint/Color
1.85%
Fit/Finish/Reliability/Durability
5.56%
Maintenance/Costs
3.70%
Other
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

What are your disappointments with your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 06:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Question What are your disappointments with your RX?

As much as we love our RXs, no vehicle is a perfect fit for everyone. So what are some of your disappointments with the RX?
Old 02-05-14, 08:05 PM
Maertens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "user interface" - does it belong to of functionality? The functionality may exist, but its usability is poor. Yes there is a clock in this car but driver can't see it. Yes, heated seats but try to find it and turn it on without looking at it, yes it has an FM radio but no way to know which station is on, yes it has pre-sets but you have to scroll through all of them to get to the one you need. Yes there is a snow mode but you have to do 3 clicks to turn it on and so on. Yes there is a big screen but it has a lot of useless and very little useful info on it. Yes the screen is high quality but the user interface is like Windows 3.0 circa 1990. Yes you can select where the heater blows but you have to go through a couple lf screens and series of clicks. Yes it has the 17 speakers ML radio but the sound is just OK.
What is good - mechanical reliability, looks, HUD, auto folding mirrors, ride, park assist, rear view cam, cargo, power tailgate, the driver seat auto-retracts back for easy exit. I am having seconds thoughts I did not go with XC60. The leather in Volvo was at least twice thicker, looked better and more durable.

I am referring to the 2010 model.

Last edited by Maertens; 02-05-14 at 08:32 PM. Reason: model year reference
Old 02-05-14, 08:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

So far, for me, only three things, really. The first is that we have a considerable amount of wind noise around the sunroof at highway speeds. I'll have the dealer take a look at it when we take it in next. The next is that I wish it had the same navigation system as my 3IS, which has a lot better setup and better voice commands. And finally, the rear cargo cover does not extend far enough forward. It leaves a sizable gap between the rear seat and the cover. Can't think of anything else right now. I love it!
Old 02-06-14, 01:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Like my LX, I would like to turn off all of my lights EXCEPT the LED driving lights. For some reason Lexus does not give RX users this ability enjoyed by the LX drivers. It seems like more and more choices are being removed from our ability to choose.

I also like the touch screen of the LX over the stupid mouse thing on the RX. The remote mouse thing is horrible in my opinion. Would rather have had a touchscreen!

Other than that I love my RX F Sport's ride and "agility".

Last edited by ggebhardt; 02-06-14 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-06-14, 02:53 AM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

wish to have a simple button for A/C OFF on the dash
Old 02-06-14, 04:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Maertens
The "user interface" - does it belong to of functionality? The functionality may exist, but its usability is poor. Yes there is a clock in this car but driver can't see it. Yes, heated seats but try to find it and turn it on without looking at it, yes it has an FM radio but no way to know which station is on, yes it has pre-sets but you have to scroll through all of them to get to the one you need. Yes there is a snow mode but you have to do 3 clicks to turn it on and so on. Yes there is a big screen but it has a lot of useless and very little useful info on it. Yes the screen is high quality but the user interface is like Windows 3.0 circa 1990. Yes you can select where the heater blows but you have to go through a couple lf screens and series of clicks. Yes it has the 17 speakers ML radio but the sound is just OK.

I am referring to the 2010 model.
Yes, all that is functionality. Thanks
Old 02-06-14, 04:56 AM
HDD
Driver School Candidate

User interface is terrible. Could be more simple to operate if Lexus engineers had put in more effort. Voice command feature is a hit or miss. No consistency in operation even when using the same commands. Ride is not plush comparing it to the 2004 RX 330. Seating ,especially the rear is not comfortable and plush. No illuminated light switch for the rear. One has to grope around in the dark to find it !!!
Old 02-06-14, 07:02 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It would be fair to have Navigation as a disappointment category by itself. This directly relates to the lack of the AC button.
Old 02-06-14, 08:12 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I expected it to be more quieter in the cabin than it is. I guess wind noise...but im weird i notice little things.
Old 02-06-14, 08:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

TALLY REVIEW: As of this moment, we have a strong message from RX owners

1. they wish for better/more features/functionality
2. reduced noise
3. better fuel economy

Let's see how this changes if at all with more votes.
Old 02-06-14, 08:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I find the Remote Touch interface rather easy to use to be honest. My main gripe would be that the cover in the boot doesnt open when the tailgate is opened like my previous RX.

Another one is that when there is rain on the windscreen after a shower, even in Auto mode, it doesnt swipe to get rid of it when the car is turned on which was a feature of the previous RX

And again, the wipers dont turn off automatically like they did on the previous RX when the car is not moving.

Apart from that I think the car is pretty much perfect.
Old 02-06-14, 01:34 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree! Quietness in the cabin of a car like this is supremely important! It cannot be too quiet!

Also: HEATED STEERING WHEEL for God's sake! Please! Also, lighted door sills! I mean we really have to buy that for $350 somewhere else??????? Crazy!

And more range in the seat adjustments.

Also, ALL LEATHER STEERING WHEEL! I hate the coldness of the wood and having my hands on half wood half leather. Get it together Lexus!

Last edited by CapeDave; 02-06-14 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-06-14, 02:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Also, ALL LEATHER STEERING WHEEL! I hate the coldness of the wood and having my hands on half wood half leather. Get it together Lexus!
They do offer an all leather steering wheel as standard. The wood/leather wheel is optional.
Old 02-06-14, 02:18 PM
tdhg566
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by gklatv
wish to have a simple button for A/C OFF on the dash
I'm confused. New to Lexus and only have RX350s (two, both 2012), but on both there is a button on the dash for A/C on/off, next to AUTO and DUAL. ?what am I missing?
Old 02-06-14, 02:22 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tdhg566
I'm confused. New to Lexus and only have RX350s (two, both 2012), but on both there is a button on the dash for A/C on/off, next to AUTO and DUAL. ?what am I missing?
Obviously, navigation. They did away with the AC button, hiding it in the on-screen menus. It is a hassle when the temps are in high 60s to check if AC is on by clicking through menus during first few minutes of the drive.

Quick Reply: What are your disappointments with your RX?