RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
View Poll Results: What are your disappointments with your RX?
Styling
1.85%
Ride/Comfort
18.52%
Handling
7.41%
Interior/Cargo Space
5.56%
Features/Functionality
37.04%
Price/Value
1.85%
Noise/Squeaks/Rattles
35.19%
Powertrain
5.56%
Fuel Economy
24.07%
Paint/Color
1.85%
Fit/Finish/Reliability/Durability
5.56%
Maintenance/Costs
3.70%
Other
11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

What are your disappointments with your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-14, 02:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by tdhg566
I'm confused. New to Lexus and only have RX350s (two, both 2012), but on both there is a button on the dash for A/C on/off, next to AUTO and DUAL. ?what am I missing?
Can't speak to the 2012, but the 2013 and 14 has no AC Off button.
Attached Thumbnails What are your disappointments with your RX?-lexus-rx-350-interior-rx-1218_1024x576.jpg  
Old 02-06-14, 02:33 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
They do offer an all leather steering wheel as standard. The wood/leather wheel is optional.
Unfortunately, it would have been a special order car at my dealership. They think wood sells to the upscale crowd (which it does) and I find it a waste of resources with no tactile improvement to the steering experience.

So, shame on Rhode Island Lexus for no leather steering wheel models! If I trade for a 2015, I will definitely find a way to get leather.
Old 02-06-14, 02:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Unfortunately, it would have been a special order car at my dealership. They think wood sells to the upscale crowd (which it does) and I find it a waste of resources with no tactile improvement to the steering experience.

So, shame on Rhode Island Lexus for no leather steering wheel models! If I trade for a 2015, I will definitely find a way to get leather.
Mine is all leather. Must say I like it!
Attached Thumbnails What are your disappointments with your RX?-img_1695.jpg  
Old 02-06-14, 02:55 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^^^^^
Love the leather steering wheel in my F Sport!
Old 02-06-14, 04:16 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azinn
^^^^^^^^
Love the leather steering wheel in my F Sport!
Will only have wood myself!...should not have to kill a cow so you can have leather...lol
Old 02-06-14, 04:53 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dctex99
Will only have wood myself!...should not have to kill a cow so you can have leather...lol
I can grow a new cow faster than I can grow a new tree.

Back on topic, I thought of a new RX annoyance. I wish the park assist was disabled by a separate button on the dash, perhaps near the BSM button, rather than the menu in the instrument cluster, so it would be easier to shut off quickly. In the Starbucks drive thru. Where I'm going nuts from all the beeping...
Old 02-06-14, 04:57 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
Mine is all leather. Must say I like it!
Plus, you have the updated steering wheel. SWEET!

I am wondering if that has the ability to go one by one on XM radio?? I have to go to the center stack for that and it is horribly un robust. Too fine.
Old 02-06-14, 07:03 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed some wind noise at freeway speeds above 65 mph.

Also, miss the sunglass holder above the rearview mirror (replaced by the SOS).

And the (used to be coin compartment) water bottle storage on the dash to the left of the steering wheel is ridiculous. You can't put anything in there besides a water bottle. The way it is configured anything other than a bottle make it impossible to close the door. How many water bottles do I need....let's see...two in the center console area, one in the dash, and one in the lower side of the door. Don't think I will ever need spots for 4 water bottles (plus another on the passenger door).
Old 02-06-14, 07:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PeteInGilr
I've noticed some wind noise at freeway speeds above 65 mph.

Also, miss the sunglass holder above the rearview mirror (replaced by the SOS).

And the (used to be coin compartment) water bottle storage on the dash to the left of the steering wheel is ridiculous. You can't put anything in there besides a water bottle. The way it is configured anything other than a bottle make it impossible to close the door. How many water bottles do I need....let's see...two in the center console area, one in the dash, and one in the lower side of the door. Don't think I will ever need spots for 4 water bottles (plus another on the passenger door).
I've found that cup holder to be perfect for either a cup of coffee or my phone.
Old 02-07-14, 05:12 AM
tdhg566
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Obviously, navigation. They did away with the AC button, hiding it in the on-screen menus. It is a hassle when the temps are in high 60s to check if AC is on by clicking through menus during first few minutes of the drive.
Ahhhhhhhh, you are correct that neither car has navigation (an intentional decision when purchasing). New to Lexus. Interesting design decision.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 02-07-14, 06:48 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Our 2010 (no NAV) has an A/C on/off button, AND the all-leather steering wheel.

Two complaints that shouldn't exist: excessive road/wind noise and the horrible user interface.
Old 02-07-14, 09:33 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RickC5
Our 2010 (no NAV) has an A/C on/off button, AND the all-leather steering wheel.

Two complaints that shouldn't exist: excessive road/wind noise and the horrible user interface.
Excellent! And they still need to heat that steering wheel up!
Old 02-07-14, 10:03 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only 2 things:
1) i wish it had a direct A/C on/off switch on the dashboard
2) I wish the F sport had come standard with 18 x 8 wheels. Not only do you sacrifice ride quality and acceleration with 19s (because of their increased weight), but replacing 19 inch tires is more expensive and you have fewer options. I LOVE the suspension in the F sport, but think the 19s are overkill. Going to 18 x 8s (vs the 19 x 7.5s that are OEM) would also allow you to put on slightly wider tires (245s or 255s)....better for grip, and aesthetics (in my opinion).
Old 02-07-14, 12:13 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To echo others first:

“The first is that we have a considerable amount of wind noise around the sunroof at highway speeds.” – I don’t notice it with the roof closed but opening the sunroof at highways speeds is way too loud. I think my convertible with the top down is quieter.

“…wish to have a simple button for A/C OFF on the dash” – YES YES YES YES GOD YES!!!!

“3. better fuel economy” – Yeah I expected better gas mileage honestly. This car isn’t a huge SUV so I was hoping for better.

I would also add:

The nanny controls that don’t allow me to change songs on my USB when the car is moving! This is insane. I can do it in my BMW.

The nav system is ok but not outstanding. Can’t find some addresses. Also seems “slow” in that it shows me passing a cross-street about a second or two AFTER I’ve physically passed it already.

Windshield freezes in the falling snow at low temps rendering the wipers useless and I can’t see. Seems like the defroster even at full-tilt can’t warm the windshield enough to keep it from freezing. Only really happens when it’s snowing and below about 20 degrees. That’s normally rare in CT but not this year, when I’ve had a couple scary rides home from work in the snow where I couldn’t see much out the front windshield.
Old 02-08-14, 06:38 AM
eightblack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot I like about my wifes RX F Sport. Agree with the others re wood steering wheel. It may come standard, but you try and find a standard config 350 in a dealers lot. Thats why I bought an F sport. My wife hates the HVAC controls and wished she could simply have a turn for hot, turn for cold and a simple on/off switch (everytime she gets in my new Tundra, she rolls her eyes and says she wishes she had the same!)

I hate the center console/instrument binnacle and the gear shift (which I have mentioned elsewhere). Its like a dogs breakfast and looks cheap - (Lexus, buy a new Benz or BMW and study what they did, or an Audi). Also, Toyota have been using that cheap digital clock for 15+ years

Couldn't care less about MPG - see top comment about my own car being a Tundra 5.7 Crewmax

Quick Reply: What are your disappointments with your RX?