RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stolen Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 06:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom34
Hey Hypervish,

Are the OEM cats really better? I will be honest with you, I know nothing about cats other than what I have read on line since it was stolen. From what I have read, like many parts, they are not made by Lexus / Toyota. In this particular case, most say all cats are made by a handful of co's. Until the damn thing was cut off, I never really gave it any thought.
Yes, OEM cats are definitely much better. They have more precious metals than found in cheap aftermarket replacements.

I believe the OE manufacture is Futaba for most cats that are on Toyota vehicles.

The cheaper aftermarket cats will cause your CEL light to come on, and it will set a code for Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold. These ECU's are very sensitive, I believe the threshold is somewhere north of 95% efficiency.
Old 02-05-14, 08:09 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom34
I thought about that VLAD but since the exhaust system is hung with vibration dampening hangers I don't know if body/cabin vibration sensors would pick up a sawzall cutting the thin exhaust pipe. I have started reading up on proximity sensors and asked a few installers and got mixed signals as to whether they would pick up a person sliding under the car. Some installers indicated possible false alarm issues with sensitivity set so low.

I was thinking skid plates mounted with security bolts (special heads) that covered the converters might send a would be thief to a different target. From my readings on stolen converters it would seem Lexus RX models are a common targets and was hoping someone on here was able to find a way to harden the target.
The sensor ought to pick it up. They're pretty sensitive to car body vibrations. If I as much as kick the tire on my IS, it will trigger the first stage of alarm. I don't think it would be possible to remove a piece of exhaust without triggering it. And one can be added to the oem system. Probably would cost less than $100.
Old 02-06-14, 07:11 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The sensor ought to pick it up. They're pretty sensitive to car body vibrations. If I as much as kick the tire on my IS, it will trigger the first stage of alarm. I don't think it would be possible to remove a piece of exhaust without triggering it. And one can be added to the oem system. Probably would cost less than $100.
Go with the Viper system. No way someone can take a sawzall to your vehicle without the alarm going off even with the most basic module. You can add in any other modules you need:

remote start
windows up/down
motion sensor
etc

BTW, I've used aftermarket cat converters (Magnaflow) previously and never had a CEL. Just have to find an OEM equivalent.
Old 02-06-14, 06:04 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Tom34,

It is just remarkable that such a market for stolen parts exists. I am either just really naive or perhaps we are insulated from much of that living out here in Idaho. The worst thing I have had to deal with was a stolen license plate.

Doug
Old 02-06-14, 07:47 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

With nothing positive re: alarm availability for that area of the car, and a bracket underneath would have to be such that it wouldn't cause extra heat to build up that could become an issue, reduce the crime of opportunity. The best defense when you can't have it in your garage is be extremely careful where you park. Never in dark areas where there is not a lot of foot traffic. The converters are sold for the precious metal recovery, not to be re-used on another car.
Old 02-07-14, 12:31 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Tom34,

It is just remarkable that such a market for stolen parts exists. I am either just really naive or perhaps we are insulated from much of that living out here in Idaho. The worst thing I have had to deal with was a stolen license plate.

Doug
cats aren't for resale but instead recycle shop will purpose these goods for good chunk of change. 5-10min work for $50-$100 is a sweat deal for these low life. just like theft of copper gutters that are on the house/building and cutting copper wires from live light poles etc. crazy as it may sound but apparently its a lucrative operation.
Old 02-07-14, 04:48 PM
Tom34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Doug,

Property crime is out of control in the Mid Atlantic States and sadly enough one gets used to a certain amount of it but sawing off Catalytic Converters in broad daylight in a heavily traveled hospital parking lot seems a bit much.