RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Brakes Locked Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 09:46 AM
yankees152
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brakes Locked Up

I have a 2013 RX 350, I live on Long Island. Over the past few weeks I have taken the car to the car wash at night to get the salt off, the next morning when I get in and start the car put the car in drive the rear wheels are locked up, It appears the froze over night due to the extreme cold we have been having. I rock the car back and forth and eventually they release with a loud pop. I actually have a 10ft tire mark in my driveway. I have been told this is common on Toyotas. Any thoughts ? The car only has 10,000 miles on it and it only happens after being washed and sitting over night in very cold temps.
Old 02-02-14, 11:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, yankees152. I've had it happen a few times on my 450h. Certain wheel cleaners can do it too regardless of temperature. You can try drying them with a leaf blower or drive the RX for a while. I'll go back and forth in the driveway a few times. There's no harm done when it happens.
Old 02-03-14, 07:42 AM
yankees152
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much.
Old 02-03-14, 08:01 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm guessing this only happens when the parking brake has been set while parked? If so, try not setting it next time, if you're comfortable doing so, and see if it still happens. Personally, I would be interested in knowing the answer.
Old 02-04-14, 07:01 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Parking brake is actually a small drum brake set-up mounted inside the rear disc.
A casual glance through the wheel spokes will show you the hub on the rear set is much larger diameter vs. the front.

Any water applied to the mechanisms, drum brake components, e-brake cables etc., will certainly freeze up overnight. Any water on the discs will also freeze to the pads.

Salt or no salt, try not to clean it off too much unless you can get it inside to dry off a bit before the sun goes down. Mother Nature doesn't give much when it comes to freezing water.
Old 02-04-14, 05:27 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I'm guessing this only happens when the parking brake has been set while parked? If so, try not setting it next time, if you're comfortable doing so, and see if it still happens. Personally, I would be interested in knowing the answer.
Woody, I rarely set my parking brake. I wash often and usually blow dry with a leaf blower and still wheels freeze on occasion.
Old 02-10-14, 09:03 AM
yankees152
Driver School Candidate

Actually the parking brake was Not in use either times that this happened.
Old 11-23-18, 03:49 AM
Rania
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yankees152
I have a 2013 RX 350, I live on Long Island. Over the past few weeks I have taken the car to the car wash at night to get the salt off, the next morning when I get in and start the car put the car in drive the rear wheels are locked up, It appears the froze over night due to the extreme cold we have been having. I rock the car back and forth and eventually they release with a loud pop. I actually have a 10ft tire mark in my driveway. I have been told this is common on Toyotas. Any thoughts ? The car only has 10,000 miles on it and it only happens after being washed and sitting over night in very cold temps.
hello, this thing happened to me today, the rear brake is stuck on one wheel, I tried to rock it back and forth it doesn’t move. I washed the car 2 days ago and parked it till today. What do you suggest I do?
Old 11-23-18, 07:14 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Rania

hello, this thing happened to me today, the rear brake is stuck on one wheel, I tried to rock it back and forth it doesn’t move. I washed the car 2 days ago and parked it till today. What do you suggest I do?
If the temp is below freezing, it could be just iced up. Just allow temp to warm up or use heat lamp(s) to warm things up.
If not then some disassembly will be required. Penetrant on key locations can help free up things, but remember that if there is not enough play the drum will not come off easily. I would get a mobile mechanic.

Salim
Old 11-23-18, 08:30 AM
Rania
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
If the temp is below freezing, it could be just iced up. Just allow temp to warm up or use heat lamp(s) to warm things up.
If not then some disassembly will be required. Penetrant on key locations can help free up things, but remember that if there is not enough play the drum will not come off easily. I would get a mobile mechanic.

Salim
thank you Salim, I called the mechanic he did ask me to try to force it to move forward and backward a few times it will unlock, and it did. Apparently it is the water from the car wash and because I parked it for 2 days it all added up. Thanks again!
Old 11-23-18, 09:32 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh man. I had all four lock up after coming back to my RX450h that was parked for a week at the airport lot last April. Parking brake was not used. I **** my pants. Patience and rocking got them all popped eventually.
Old 01-12-19, 09:08 PM
Aduluthdad
Driver School Candidate

Default Frozen Rear Brake(s)

New to this forum. Washed and parked my 2012 RX450H in cool garage for 10 days. (MN... cool, not cold). Today both rears were locked up. Tried heat guns in case they were frozen. LR broke free, RR did not. Any ideas or directions?
Old 01-13-19, 06:21 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Move the car and it should free up quickly. If not then you may have to inspect it and see if the guide pins are frozen (most likely) or the caliper piston itself. I have had frozen guide pins in my hybrid due to lazy maintenance on my part. They need to be removed,cleaned and regreased every couple years or 20,000 miles or they do get stuck in the caliper bracked. I have had them stuck so bad I had to replace the caliper body, but often they can be forced out..
If yours are stuck, and you can do the work, the cheapest alternative is to buy a used caliper, then just use the body to replace yours, doing such maintenance on its guide pins etc. Save the piston assembly for another day if not needed. Or if needed, replace everything.
Was the parking brake on? If so you have different issues.
Old 01-14-19, 09:11 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

There can be ice or rust or both.

For ice, just put a heater around {or even an old heat generating light bulb .. will take longer) but that should raise the temperature to melt the ice [no electrical stuff right below to prevent water dripping on it].

Rust on the other hand is a slow long process and each time you have moisture or salts you get metal reverting to its natural form and things swell up causing binding.

If I was to guess, it is ice. As a habit, after wash, please drive the vehicle a bit to rid yourself of water. When the temperature warms up (summer for you) remove the wheel and even the rotor to see where you are with rust.

Salim
Old 03-30-20, 06:29 PM
CodyH17
Driver School Candidate

Same thing just happened to me .... washed my car 2 weeks ago and put my 2012 RX450h in my storage unit for 2 weeks. Came back tonight to start her up and take for a spin and the LR wheel is completely locked up. I rocked it back n forth for about 15 mins hoping it would “pop” and begin to rotate normally. It’s 43 degrees and hasn’t been below freezing in at least 2 day’s.

Any ideas? I seriously doubt that freezing is the issue given current temps. Do I need to call AAA mechanic to take a look? Could I have done major damage to the brake / inner wheel components?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Locked Up