RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hissing noise when press and release brake on my rx350 2013

Old 02-01-14, 08:44 PM
daskin12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Hissing noise when press and release brake on my rx350 2013

Is it all the lexus rx350 had that noise? From the day I noticed hissing noise when I gentally press the brake pedal down and release it . And same noise can be heard when drive slowly and release gas pedal. Does anyone had that noise and been fixed? .
I sent to the lexus dealer to see if they can do something but it seem like I should regrets to myself , shouldn't buy Lexus . Which their mechanic don't even know nothing about this , which made me feel like wasted alot of money on a cheap suv
Old 02-02-14, 07:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Different people have "sensitivities" to different things. I would suggest that your RX makes the same noise that all of them do when breaking. Calling it a cheap SUV suggests that YOU did not test drive before your purchase.

If I were you I would consider using the radio and maybe you will not hear it, but I have my doubts and you likely will. There are lots of little irritations in life and if this is driving you crazy, you likely are not viable.
Old 02-02-14, 09:35 AM
daskin12
Driver School Candidate

Wise you have that noise too , see if it ignoring you or not . And also, while you listening music or phone and you heard a hissing noise around . Feel it dude. You know I did test drive the suv and don't have this issue but after few months it come out , especially in cold weather. Etc. I bought it in summer.
Old 02-02-14, 03:16 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Is this hissing noise heard from the outside or inside? Can you record it? I can't hear anything specific to braking when driving slow on my 10 Rx350. Have you driven another 2013 on the lot to see if it does the same? perhaps it's just dirt on your brake pads / rotors. Since you're in New York, I'm assuming you could have mild corrosion on the rotors. if this is the case, one would expect the noise to be quite a bit less after running the vehicle for a while. Just a few thoughts.
Old 02-02-14, 03:49 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

daskin12, I'm sorry you're having noise problems with your RX. Have you had any work done on the RX recently? What is your mileage? You mention the noise has gotten worse in the colder weather. When did it start? It would be great if you could give us more information. Now I'm sure your comment about the RX being a cheap SUV was fueled by your frustration. We've all been there at times. Please try to stay calm and keep an open mind. Otherwise nobody will be able to help you.

BTW, the brake pedal on my 450h makes a slight sound when pressed. I also hear a whirring sound when I stop. But that's part of the regenerative braking system.
Old 02-03-14, 08:02 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What exactly did the dealer tell you?

They couldn't hear any noise?
Change your brake pads?
Brake booster?
Old 02-03-14, 11:53 AM
daskin12
Driver School Candidate

Mechanic heard the noise and placed new part of brake booster as they describe in the paper , but no help and yet the noise still. The services advisor said there's a lots of Lexus got this noice. I don't if you guys had this noice or haven't had noticed.
I like this car it is the reason that I trade in my Audi A3 to get rx530 and yet the noise from inside of the RX350 THAT disappointed and sometime really annoying me, think about that a high-end car got the nnoice inside of car, and that should happened in low-end car.
Old 02-03-14, 12:02 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by daskin12
Mechanic heard the noise and placed new part of brake booster as they describe in the paper , but no help and yet the noise still. The services advisor said there's a lots of Lexus got this noice. I don't if you guys had this noice or haven't had noticed.
I like this car it is the reason that I trade in my Audi A3 to get rx530 and yet the noise from inside of the RX350 THAT disappointed and sometime really annoying me, think about that a high-end car got the nnoice inside of car, and that should happened in low-end car.
Understand you are emotional about the issue, but calm down and please stick to facts so we can try to get you a solution here. We can try to help you get to a solution from what you give us.

So you have a repair that was done at the dealer, which means there is an acknowledgement that something was wrong.

They performed a fix and it didn't work. May be annoying but take it back to the dealer and advise that the problem is not fixed. If it's brake booster related, it's probably a rupture in the brake booster diaphragm. Did your description of repairs state that?

NOTE that this could also be normal and you may be oversensitive to the noise. The way power brakes work is that there is a rubber diaphragm in the big metal drum behind the master cylinder. In normal driving operation (not braking), vacuum pressure is applied to both sides of the diaphragm. When you step on the brakes, the cabin side of the diaphragm vents to atmosphere, which causes that side to equalize to normal air pressure. Meanwhile the engine side is still under vacuum, so the diaphragm gets pulled that way. That is the power brake assist--a big diaphragm under engine vacuum gets pulled towards the engine, which helps you to push the brake rod through the master cylinder.

Sometimes you will hear the whoosh noise when you step on the pedal, which is air rushing into the cabin side of the diaphragm. If you hear a constant noise when the pedal is down, then you might have a tear or hole in the diaphragm, allowing the engine vacuum to leak into the cabin side.

If you have a leaking diaphragm, then you will have a much heavier pedal pressure to stop. If it is stopping fine without having to stand on it then it is probably fine
Old 02-08-14, 07:37 PM
adgvpm
Driver School Candidate

Default Static/buzzing noise from dash

Don't know if your "hissing noise" is the same as the electronic static/buzzing noise that is faint but definitely noticeable when it is very cold outside. It seems to be related to the braking system (i.e. when you press and release the brake pedal), but I have heard it when I'm just driving and not touching the brake pedal. Took my RX to the dealer and they said that the noise is "normal" and that all third generation RX's have that noise - something to do with the brake pedal modulation? All I know is that it is annoying, especially when everything else is so quiet when you drive without the radio on and the fan speed turned down. Definitely disappointing in any car but especially a Lexus.
Old 12-17-14, 07:02 AM
Aquinnah
Driver School Candidate

I had the hissing noise and the dealership said it was normal. I had a loaner while the car was at the dealership that did not make the noise. They replaced the sensor and I have not heard the noise since.
Thus far, my experience with lexus has been disappointing. They seem to want to say that everything is "normal" before trying to diagnose a problem.
Old 12-17-14, 01:13 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aquinnah
.... They replaced the sensor and I have not heard the noise since.
What sensor did they replace?