RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone install the Lexus remote start option?

Old 01-31-14, 01:04 PM
desmo907
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone install the Lexus remote start option?

My 2013 RX450h did not come with RES and I now see how handy it can be in winter.
I looked at the Sewell site and it does not seem to complicated to install but I fear taking apart the console, glove box, etc. I also cannot figure out why the center console needs to be removed. It does appear I need special tool to nylon panel removal tool.

Anyone do this on their own?
Any issues, thoughts?

Thx
(The rear hitch ad wiring module was really easy.)
Old 01-31-14, 01:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

desmo907, dealers usually run specials this time of year on installation. Give them a call. Mine was installed at port before I took delivery.
Old 01-31-14, 02:12 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Mine was installed at port before I took delivery.
Hey Anita, did you order your car with RES or did you add it after you ordered? I ordered an RX about a million years ago and it's not even on the Lexus Treadmill yet. Last I heard, it'll be April before it ships (maybe). Anyway, my point was, could I add this option now or does changing the order make me fall to 2015 before I get my car?
Old 01-31-14, 03:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Mors, RES was part of the special order but it's installed in port from my understanding. I'm not sure if your dealer can add it on You have an estimated ship date so the order was accepted already. I'm sure the dealer could do it when your RX arrives and before you take delivery. And I have RES, not RES+. Just wanted to make that clear.
Old 01-31-14, 06:15 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After three years I finally installed a remote starter in my two hybrids. I have installed several remotes in conventional cars but the hybrids can be tricky. The unit I used is made by the Canadian company " Fortin "

Installation does require above average knowledge and tricky wire connection abilities . Dismantling of covering under the steering wheel is required. An 800 telephone number is available and detailed schematics are available online.
Note: my experience is working on cars for the last 40 years and the Fortin company advises it is not for the amateur installer.

It requires the Evo All unit and programming firmware button. No extra remote starter is needed, you use the existing FOB. The installation can be tedious and trying ... But if you have the experience and patience... the final results can be satisfying.

Gampa

2010 Lexus RX450h
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Old 02-03-14, 05:19 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

I have it. Had it in my 2010 RX as well. That thing is the best ever during really cold winter mornings.

I told the dealer to move the dealer-installed aftermarket remote start to my new RX when we were negotiating the deal. Told him this was the wife's car and she HAD TO HAVE IT....after much back and forth, they agreed to install a new one in the 2013 at no cost. This a must have for those living in Canada or the colder states.

Oh and to OP, there have been no issues for me.
Old 02-03-14, 08:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gampa
After three years I finally installed a remote starter in my two hybrids. I have installed several remotes in conventional cars but the hybrids can be tricky. The unit I used is made by the Canadian company " Fortin "

Installation does require above average knowledge and tricky wire connection abilities . Dismantling of covering under the steering wheel is required. An 800 telephone number is available and detailed schematics are available online.
Note: my experience is working on cars for the last 40 years and the Fortin company advises it is not for the amateur installer.

It requires the Evo All unit and programming firmware button. No extra remote starter is needed, you use the existing FOB. The installation can be tedious and trying ... But if you have the experience and patience... the final results can be satisfying.

Gampa

2010 Lexus RX450h
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Gampa,

Why would you go through all of that trouble if you can just buy a plug-n-play OEM for about $220 (add in a dealer charge to program)?
2007 Camry might be out of luck, but I believe 2010+ Toyota vehicles have that option.

The only reason to go with the aftermarket, IMHO, is to get an extended range from having another remote. But if you use the original remote, then it defeats the purpose.
Old 02-03-14, 08:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Gampa,

Why would you go through all of that trouble if you can just buy a plug-n-play OEM for about $220 (add in a dealer charge to program)?
2007 Camry might be out of luck, but I believe 2010+ Toyota vehicles have that option.

The only reason to go with the aftermarket, IMHO, is to get an extended range from having another remote. But if you use the original remote, then it defeats the purpose.
Aftermarket is a world apart. For that same $400 or so you're going to spend (not your install headache, so no concern there) you get 30x the benefit of having to stand 30ft away from your vehicle to start it.

Just have to find a dealer that knows what they are doing. My GS was a PITA and that was 7 years ago, I can only imagine what it's like now (although probably easier).
Old 02-03-14, 08:28 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Aftermarket is a world apart. For that same $400 or so you're going to spend (not your install headache, so no concern there) you get 30x the benefit of having to stand 30ft away from your vehicle to start it.

Just have to find a dealer that knows what they are doing. My GS was a PITA and that was 7 years ago, I can only imagine what it's like now (although probably easier).
But if there is no extra remote, then it is the same 30 ft. I get the distance part, hence why I don't have OEM RS in my RX.
I have (personally) installed an aftermarket into my manual IS and results are hard to beat. The 2-way remote works well from almost any spot my place of work.
Old 02-03-14, 09:01 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
But if there is no extra remote, then it is the same 30 ft. I get the distance part, hence why I don't have OEM RS in my RX.
I have (personally) installed an aftermarket into my manual IS and results are hard to beat. The 2-way remote works well from almost any spot my place of work.
Agreed, I missed the part about programming the OEM remote. Yes, pointless...
Old 02-03-14, 11:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

We have a Drone Mobile on our RXh.
The RXh OEM fob works fine, with it's distance limitation
The Drone application works on our iPhones, iPads or the Drone Mobile web page
There is NO Drone fob, as installed on our RX.

Our other car uses a Viper remote start.
The Nissan OEM fob does NOT remote start
The Viper fob, is stuck in a drawer and not used.
The Viper application works on our iPhones, iPads, and no web page access.

What are the advantages to using a remote start add-on that uses the distanced limited OEM fob? At least a Viper fob offers a huge distance advantage.
Old 02-04-14, 10:39 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Let me tell yo why...

Vlad_a
Yes there are other remote starters out there, yes I could have had them installed by dealers for a price. But what challenge is there in that ?
Everyday I challenge my capabilities ... and maybe you and others should do the same.Yes you can spend $1000 on a remote to be installed by some garage mechanic .... but what have you learned... You learned how to loose about $700- $800 profit and installation cost.

I installed my Fortin Evo-All stand alone Bypass module for about $175 from fortin electronics in Canada (shipping included) and then installed a fortin Evo-All Stand alone Bypas purchased from Amazon, in my Toyota Cam ry Hybrid for about $62. Together that comes up to $237 for both units installed by myself..
In comparing it to Other units, evo-All installs about the same... Only you do not walk out with a large bill BUT... Walk out feeling great of the accomplishment you have done?

That is why I installed it my self.

My evo-all has worked 200+ feet from a restaurant and from the fith floor building, fifty feet out in the parking lot.. There is no delay in starting as in the iPhone units indicate.
The remote works definitely further then the 30 claimed in the factory installed bypasses.

But the most important thing with remote starters is ...
...that if you are happy with the one you have..... that is all that matters.
It's you car and modify it the way you like regardless of what others think and say.

Gampa
2010 Lexus RX450h, Awd
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Old 02-05-14, 03:35 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Gampa,

Good point. My challenge is to resist the urge to do a do-it-yourself project on our cars. Something vast years of experience avoiding these and other projects my wife may assign has taught me, be aware of my limitations and just say no !

Old 05-15-15, 05:12 AM
rmcgruder
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 2015 remote start

It is my understanding that all2015 RX350 have the remote start installed and can be activated with a $220/yr subscription. Does anyone know if you can get a remote start manually installed. I think it is crazy to have to pay a yearly subscription
Old 05-15-15, 07:30 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rmcgruder
It is my understanding that all2015 RX350 have the remote start installed and can be activated with a $220/yr subscription. Does anyone know if you can get a remote start manually installed. I think it is crazy to have to pay a yearly subscription
You have to pay a subscription fee only if you want to use your smartphone to start the car. This overcomes the 30FT limitation of the key fob. Plus gives mfg a way to upsell you on services for the tracking module already installed in your RX. Same deal as SiriusXM.

Yes, you can get a normal stand-alone RS installed.
Your choices are OEM using key-fob and aftermarket with either the key-fob or a separate remote.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone install the Lexus remote start option?