RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

radar detector install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 08:44 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom34
How does this detector help you when my radar is on standby and I hit the instant on and then hit the lock before you get your foot off the gas?
Laser is even faster than the above but my excort has detected laser scatter even before I came over the top of a hill.

These detectors are not perfect but then the police are not either.
Old 02-18-14, 09:38 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I move my detector and the remote between my two cars, and do recall that the reason I did mount the remote directly above the wheel was the inability to reach the mute button. In my SC, even with the remote up on the dash all the way at the far left pillar, I added a little micro mute button that you can add to the turn signal stalk (search around on eBay for those). This makes hitting the remote very quick and easy and can be done without taking your eyes off the road. I did not add that to my RX because I tend to take the SC on my longer trips. I do miss it, however, when I have the RX on the road. It's very handy, pretty easy to install, and is not visible except on a very close inspection. With the remote mounted on the other side of the wheel, this would be something you should look into, and these are tips I just don't pass along to anyone.
Old 02-20-14, 06:42 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom34
......just saying, be careful out there, speed kills.
That phrase brings back memories....my old job had the opposite saying: speed is life.

Nice install BTW wallykeys
Old 02-20-14, 09:50 PM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very professional job indeed.

Originally Posted by wallykeys
Finished my Radar install today. Ran all the wires to the detector and concealed display. Really happy how it turned out! I used the power outlet under the center console to hard wire the unit.
How did you conceal the wires running all the way from below the dash to the top of the windscreen? The pictures show no hint of wires.
Mounted the detector on the passenger side windshield area out of my line of sight.
How did you mount it and to what?
Old 02-20-14, 11:46 PM
wallykeys
Rookie

Originally Posted by elba123
Very professional job indeed.

How did you conceal the wires running all the way from below the dash to the top of the windscreen? The pictures show no hint of wires.

How did you mount it and to what?
I ran the power cord to the V1 up along the passenger window post and then along the head liner. The wire is there, you just can't see it at the angle the picture was taken. The remote power cord was run through the center console to the drivers side. I tapped into power from the lower power outlet in the console.

Last edited by wallykeys; 02-21-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 08:40 AM
mac12
Intermediate

I'd also like to know how you mounted it and to what. Right now mine is on the left side of the mirror on the suction cup bracket. Thanks
Old 02-22-14, 08:45 AM
wallykeys
Rookie

Originally Posted by mac12
I'd also like to know how you mounted it and to what. Right now mine is on the left side of the mirror on the suction cup bracket. Thanks
I'm using the suction cup bracket!
Old 02-23-14, 08:04 AM
elba123
Rookie

Originally Posted by wallykeys
I'm using the suction cup bracket!
How are the wires being held in place along the dash, pillars and roof? I am not much of a DIY person and tips you can share for this project will be very helpful. Not being good at DIY projects is also the reason why I am not taking the power from the sos box or mounting on the mirror as some people in this forum have done.
Old 02-23-14, 09:18 AM
wallykeys
Rookie

Originally Posted by elba123
How are the wires being held in place along the dash, pillars and roof? I am not much of a DIY person and tips you can share for this project will be very helpful. Not being good at DIY projects is also the reason why I am not taking the power from the sos box or mounting on the mirror as some people in this forum have done.
It was pretty simple really!
First off, I'm using a Valentine one radar detector in conjunction with their concealed display, so my install relates to those products!
Because I'm using the concealed remote with the Valentine one, I needed to use the V1 duel power source and couldn't tap into power from the sos or mirror power source. So, I am using power from the power outlet wires under the center console. The power cord for the V1 starts up from the passenger side lower panel and runs along the door seal rubber and then along the window post and then along the head liner to the unit. It all tucks in very nicely and was pretty easy to put in place. The remote power cord also starts under the passenger side lower panel and then runs through the center console and comes up through the steering wheel column. If you're not a DYI person, I'd just have it installed by a pro shop and not worry about it. I've done this install on several other vehicles, so I'm getting pretty good at it!