RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

LOLed at the Merc Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 02:32 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ The only SUV ive seen do the track is the new range rover sport i think? It was on top gear.
Old 01-28-14, 03:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
ok, you win. Really done because you're missing the point of the discussion and reading this like I'm bashing the RX.

Feel free to line up the F-Sport at a track or a red light against, the Cayenne, X5 or ML3xx series and think it will be a fair fight.
I understand you're comparing the RX F-Sport against the Germans on the track, and no one will contest that on pure performance numbers alone, the Germans will likely beat the RX in most if not all the tests (0-60, slalom, lateral acceleration, 1/4 mile, lap time, etc).

But what I'm saying (and probably rayaans too) is the RX F-Sport is a truly fun-to-drive vehicle that can carve into the curves with aplomb while also providing real-world daily practicality and comfort.

Track Performance Winner: Germans
Real-World "Sport" and "Utility" winner: hard to beat the RX F-Sport

Again to put things into perspective, in a similar fashion, the IS 350 F-Sport RWD is not the best at everything on the track in particular acceleration against the 335i and S4, but the intangibles and overall combination of fun-to-drive track and real-world driving experience makes the IS a winner.

We're pointing out two different perspectives, yours on pure numbers alone, and myself (and rayaans I believe) as an overall ownership experience. Unfortunately for us F-Sport owners, the RX's stigma as a soft un-engaging soccer-mom SUV will make even Lexus enthusiasts skeptical of the RX F-Sport's capabilities, and my response is that only once you've owned one, can you understand how good it is No harm done. Makes for a good thread.

This commercial that aired a while back, with the man fully engaged in the driving, smiling, and getting that rush of satisfaction, perfectly sums up the F-Sport experience.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-28-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 08:09 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Do people really take SUV's on a track?
Yes

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Looking at the figures for the ML350 CDI and taking into consideration the extra mass + the twitchy gearbox, I bet I could have one on the lights.
err NO

Hmm wonder what happens when the new RX comes out with "hopefully" the 340hp hybrid system from the GS.
Again, No, not going to happen

But what I'm saying (and probably rayaans too) is the RX F-Sport is a truly fun-to-drive vehicle that can carve into the curves with aplomb while also providing real-world daily practicality and comfort when compared to the base RX but still lags FAR behind any of the level above 5 seater SUV's.
My only point

Again to put things into perspective, in a similar fashion, the IS 350 F-Sport RWD is not the best at everything on the track in particular acceleration against the 335i and S4, but the intangibles and overall combination of fun-to-drive track and real-world driving experience makes the IS a winner.

We're pointing out two different perspectives, yours on pure numbers alone, and myself (and rayaans I believe) as an overall ownership experience. Unfortunately for us F-Sport owners, the RX's stigma as a soft un-engaging soccer-mom SUV will make even Lexus enthusiasts skeptical of the RX F-Sport's capabilities, and my response is that only once you've owned one, can you understand how good it is No harm done. Makes for a good thread.

This commercial that aired a while back, with the man fully engaged in the driving, smiling, and getting that rush of satisfaction, perfectly sums up the F-Sport experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iop3gYXaAgw
I've got quite a bit of seat time in SUV's on multiple platforms, on track, at a stop light, etc. My old jalopy heavily modified 2001 GS has been running past stock 335's for years now. And I've driven an F-sport hard. There is no comparison. It is a step up from the previous versions, and kudo's to lexus for that but is not designed to compete with the Germans. Nothing from Lexus has ever adverstised as such and there is a reason for that (truth in advertising). Relax (not you specifically), no one is saying you made a bad purchase so no ego bruising going on here. But I've yet to see a expert driver say otherwise. Again, read that other thread and the info there. The upgrades are easily identifiable and the results that come from those upgrades are not rocket science. Same engine, upgrade a couple of suspension parts and yes you are going to get an improvement. But no, you are not breaking into new territory, just better off than when you started. And for Lexus, any step forward performance wise is a good thing. No one is more pissed than I am with the banishment of a v8 in the GS.
Old 01-28-14, 08:47 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
A friend of mine took advantage of the promos on the 2014 Mercedes E350. She got a large discount also off of the MSRP. It was loaded to the gills. The Mercedes dealership that she bought the car from also gave her a hundred dollar gift certificate to a high-end restaurant in Tampa called Donatello. This restaurant has been around in Tampa since the seventies.

We had a nice dinner and a fun evening at Donatello, and I had the chance to ride in her new Mercedes. Although the car drove very nice, I didn't care for the start/stop technology that is now in the new Mercs. For me, it ruined an otherwise nice ride. When she would accelerate from a stop, the car would shutter a bit before coming to life. She also had it in ECO mode, and I told her she needed to try out the other modes that are available. She doesn't know a whole lot about cars, so she didn't get what I was trying to explain to her. All she cares about is getting the best gas mileage out of the car. They should allow the driver to turn off that start/stop stuff if the driver wants to.

I remember driving an RX400h back in 2006, which we know that hybrids have this technology, but I don't remember it being so noticeable. Maybe my memory is flawed.

Otherwise, the Merc E350 is a very nice vehicle
You can turn that function off, just push the "eco" button in the middle part of the console. It's a silver button with a lighted eco sign in green.
Old 01-28-14, 08:54 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In an accident I guarantee you will survive better in a Mercedes than a Lexus, all day long any day any time...can't believe I'm saying this even tho I have a 2010 RX350 myself.

I'd rather be in a Mercedes during an accident than a Lexus.
Old 01-28-14, 09:51 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ me too. before we even get to crashworthiness, Mercedes Pre Safe systems are incredible. We are talking about seat position, seatbelt position, and window/sunroof positions moving right before an accident to give you the best possible chance of surviving.

Last edited by RXSF; 01-28-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 06:58 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will keep my unexiting extremely reliable RX over the ML. My coworker has seen Mercedes service quite a lot with his ML
I see my Lexus dealer twice a year for routine service.
Old 01-29-14, 09:28 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ me too. before we even get to crashworthiness, Mercedes Pre Safe systems are incredible. We are talking about seat position, seatbelt position, and window/sunroof positions moving right before an accident to give you the best possible chance of surviving.
The RX is also available with a pre crash safety system and Im pretty sure that the new IS just got a 5 star NCAP rating in the UK. Its the best in the whole segment so go ahead and take the equivalent Merc saloon if you wish and try a head on collision and then take the new IS and do it all over again. Be sure to let me know which felt better.

BTW I have had an accident in my C Class and didnt really notice any difference between having a collision in that or in my 1998 Passat.

Last edited by rayaans; 01-29-14 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 09:30 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
I will keep my unexiting extremely reliable RX over the ML. My coworker has seen Mercedes service quite a lot with his ML
I see my Lexus dealer twice a year for routine service.
+1 Drove my neighbor home when her Merc burned to the ground just a half mile from her house; they burn well!!!!
Old 01-29-14, 07:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes

err NO

Again, No, not going to happen

My only point

And for Lexus, any step forward performance wise is a good thing. No one is more pissed than I am with the banishment of a v8 in the GS.
Agreed. And I agree even more with you on the removal of the V8 in the GS

As an important aside, I didn't write quotes 2, and 3 you reference with my name in your post above. I take it you inadvertently copy/pasted my name

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-29-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 07:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
The RX is also available with a pre crash safety system and Im pretty sure that the new IS just got a 5 star NCAP rating in the UK. Its the best in the whole segment so go ahead and take the equivalent Merc saloon if you wish and try a head on collision and then take the new IS and do it all over again. Be sure to let me know which felt better.

BTW I have had an accident in my C Class and didnt really notice any difference between having a collision in that or in my 1998 Passat.
Not only does the Merc pre collision system do what the Lexus systems do, they go multiple steps further. The mercedes senses a collision and adjusts the seat position and seat belt position so that the occupants are in a better position for collision. the windows and moonroof closes for before impact. Then, upon collision, the doors automatically unlock and the hazard lights flash. No other brand goes this far to help occupants survive not only the impact, but easily accessible by rescue teams.
Old 01-30-14, 06:02 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. And I agree even more with you on the removal of the V8 in the GS

As an important aside, I didn't write quotes 2, and 3 you reference with my name in your post above. I take it you inadvertently copy/pasted my name
My apologies, was responding (even though I said I was done) on my Ipad which is a PITA and watching my Knicks play (which makes me emotional and usually not in a good way)
Old 01-30-14, 06:05 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Not only does the Merc pre collision system do what the Lexus systems do, they go multiple steps further. The mercedes senses a collision and adjusts the seat position and seat belt position so that the occupants are in a better position for collision. the windows and moonroof closes for before impact. Then, upon collision, the doors automatically unlock and the hazard lights flash. No other brand goes this far to help occupants survive not only the impact, but easily accessible by rescue teams.
I've heard the same. But have plenty of faith in what Lexus does to protect the cabin upon impact as well. Think both brands go above and beyond, but yes, MB does go a step further.
Old 01-30-14, 08:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard the same. But have plenty of faith in what Lexus does to protect the cabin upon impact as well. Think both brands go above and beyond, but yes, MB does go a step further.
Maybe they do, don't really know, haven't exactly thought about buying a car for its safety issues. It seems to be more of a given for me.

One thing MB cant match is the paint finish on Lexus vehicles apart from their designo range. The paint finish on Lexus always looks amazing .
Old 01-30-14, 08:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Just curious, does MB offer something similar to Lexus' Safety Connect?

Quick Reply: LOLed at the Merc Dealer