RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Snow Chains for 19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 10:44 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cflutist
Has anyone actually installed and used the various brands of chains/cable/other traction devices (that did not scratch ordamage our wheels) for driving in snow?

I've researched it on the Internet but would like to hear experiences from those who have actually used these products.

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl
I've always carried the chins like oohpapi44 showed when I go to Tahoe or Reno but sorry to say I never had to use them, or I should say glad I never had to use them. My 08 RX350 AWD worked very well when I got caught in the snow with just all season tires. I try not to even go if it is going to snow, to many idiots driving big SUVs way to fast thinking AWD you don't have to slow down. I will stay an extra day or two to avoid the snow if I can.
Old 01-16-14, 10:35 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We were driving in the Sierras last year and got caught on a snowstorm that was dumping about 6 inches of snow on I-80. I bought snow chain on the road and they put them on. The highway cops were not letting anybody go thru without them (maybe if you have a AWD?). Later I went to a local auto supply store and bought another pair (I did not like the one I bought on the road). You can ask the auto store for recommendation on what snow chain to use to minimize/eliminate any damage to your rims.
Old 01-17-14, 09:33 AM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

RX450h, too.

I bought the Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ429, Cable Chain on Amazon.
Unfortunately I don't have chances to test it yet.

Last edited by roy7777; 04-19-21 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-17-14, 01:29 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Roy, will definitely check it out.

My wheels look similar to yours except it is in groups of 3-spokes each.

Cheryl
Old 01-17-14, 03:06 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Would think something like this would save the rim from scratches.

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SC1032 Radial Chain Cable Traction Tire Chain - Set of 2: Automotive

Should be pretty easy to look up the CA statute and see whether 2 or 4 chains are required. I would guess two though. My next guess is to put them on the front if really needed for traction.
I found my answer on page 304 - install tire chains on front wheels only. Hmmm, but it doesn't say if FWD or AWD?
Old 04-23-14, 03:06 AM
blueridge1
Driver School Candidate

roy7777, those look great. Did you get a chance to use them? Any feedback you can share?
Old 04-23-14, 06:32 AM
txes
Lead Lap

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_the_highest_major_summits_of_the_United_States
Old 04-23-14, 06:54 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Roy7777,
I salute you for trying your chains on dry pavement. Makes roadside installation in the slush much easier when the time comes.
Installing chains on the side of the road in a slushy shoulder separates the men from the boys.
To those flatlanders, we have off-season loggers affectionately called chain monkeys that will install your chains for you for a fee.
It used to be $20 on, $10 off, but now it's $30 on, $20 off. The value of the dollar is going down. HA HA
Our RX is my wife's driver. It will never see a snowflake. I drive an AWD Highlander.
Ray A. Tahoe skier.

Last edited by raylor4; 04-23-14 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-07-16, 09:31 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Used to ski Mammoth from LA every winter many years ago and chains were an important element in moving around on those Mammoth roads.

Over the years I've owned a half-dozen sets of chains in various sizes, but never cables, so I have no experience comparing the two.

Just bought a 2010 450h with 19" wheels and I bought "Alpine Premier" chains to fit. They come in a nice black bag and are designed to be installed without driving the car onto them, as with conventional chains. Then, when you reach blacktop they come off quickly and stow back in their bag. For the 450h the chains always go on the front wheels. This brand of tire chain retails for about $100 (Les Schwab is the big tire store here in the NW and they swear by them) but I found my pair on eBay for about $40.

Last winter here in Portland Oregon we had a New Year's Day with 1/4" on glare ice on everything. The roads in the suburbs would have been impassable without studs or chains. But with chains you can go anywhere. I actually find it fun, in a "man against the elements" sort of way.
Old 11-07-16, 12:26 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I have Walmart chains on my RX300, the all wheel drive system of which is pretty much same as that of the RX350. I too go to Mammoth and Tahoe during the winter and have used Michelin LTX M/S all that time. I didn't ever have to use the chain. Not even once. First, even when the police requires you to use the chains, it is for single axle drive type vehicles. You simply tell them you have AWD and M/S tires on your car. Second, the car went up hill with up to 6 inches of snow on the road. I don't think I ever seriously broke traction in that car.

FYI. coming down from the mountains when you have serious amount of snow is a different matter all together and requires some planning like deflating your tires, judicious usage of first gear and, yes, even using chains. Once there is more than 6 inches of snow or sleet, I wait it out.
Old 11-08-16, 03:23 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

RX 450h AWD newbie here.

What brand of chains do you recommend for the 19" P235/55R19 tires?

The wheels are so pretty that I'd hate to scratch them up with chains from our local car parts store (like we did for our old Camry).

I live in CA and am new to AWD. Do I need chains for all 4 wheels? If not, then do they go on the front or back?

Does anyone know why there is no AWD badge on the body (I looked and could not find it, but did find the Hybrid sign).

Also, CA Dept of Transportation has R1, R2, R3 Chain Control Rules. We are good to go for R1, and all require chains if R3. For R2, several friends with AWD/4WD have told me that they have been waived through by the CHP with "All Season"/"All Weather" tires, but the law clearly states that R2 AWD/4WD vehicles require SNOW/MUD tires on all 4 wheels. So do any of you have actual experience in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl

In CA, R2 with AWD or 4WD is good with just all-season tires, as long as they have good tread. Use of the term "SNOW/MUD TIRES" dates back to an earlier requirement. Now, "all season" satisfies the requirement. There is no snow/mud tire requirement. I lived at Tahoe for 12 years, CA side, and know the rules. 4WD is good to go until they post "all require chains". However, if you travel where it might snow, always carry chains. Where do you live or travel in CA?

DO NOT BUY THE CRAP CABLE CHAINS!! They have little grip, and come off easily. There is no specific "Brand" of chains to buy, just be sure to get actual chains, and that the chart shows they fit your tires. Do not go for gimmicky garbage, like "spider spikes, "spray-on" chains, etc.

If they are the correct size, properly installed, and used at 35mph or less, they cannot damage your wheels. Lots of people borrow chains from friends, and can't figure out why they flew off, or ruined their wheels or fenders. Chains must fit fairly tight over tires, and have rubber shock cords (NOT bunjee straps) to prevent slapping around. The inside chain is always linked/installed first so that the outside can be pulled over and adjusted tight to the tire. Carry chains, but have the chain monkeys install them unless you know what you are doing. Always stop about one mile after chains are installed to re-check for fit and tightness.

Last edited by 11bravo; 11-08-16 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 09:25 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

RX 450h AWD newbie here.

What brand of chains do you recommend for the 19" P235/55R19 tires?

The wheels are so pretty that I'd hate to scratch them up with chains from our local car parts store (like we did for our old Camry).

I live in CA and am new to AWD. Do I need chains for all 4 wheels? If not, then do they go on the front or back?

Does anyone know why there is no AWD badge on the body (I looked and could not find it, but did find the Hybrid sign).

Also, CA Dept of Transportation has R1, R2, R3 Chain Control Rules. We are good to go for R1, and all require chains if R3. For R2, several friends with AWD/4WD have told me that they have been waived through by the CHP with "All Season"/"All Weather" tires, but the law clearly states that R2 AWD/4WD vehicles require SNOW/MUD tires on all 4 wheels. So do any of you have actual experience in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Cheryl
Chains are awful. You only put them on when you're practically already stuck and then you're driving ludicrously slow, and then you take them off. Avoid at all costs!
Look for the "M&S" designation in a subtle location on your tires. If you have that, I believe you have tires that someone (who iMO is highly unqualified) deemed them to be "suitable" for Mud & Snow. Don't get me wrong, they are not very good on snow/ice, at all, but they are passable. Proper snow tires have that mountain peak/snowflake graphic. Anyway, maybe that is what folks have who are being waved through with their AWD.
Old 11-09-16, 02:53 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

^^Oh, Crap!!
I accidentally participated in necromancy! Oops.
My bad, my bad...
Old 11-10-16, 04:47 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We live in a pretty severe snow belt, East Coast in Atlantic Canada.
We always run 4 dedicated snow tires on all vehicles whether FWD, AWD or 4 X 4. In 35 years driving I've never owned a set of chains.
Planning is always key in extreme weather. Many times waiting out the storm until the roads have been cleared is usually the best answer.
Yes, you can get anything stuck if you try hard enough. I have a bit of experience in that department .
Old 11-10-16, 07:16 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
We live in a pretty severe snow belt, East Coast in Atlantic Canada.
We always run 4 dedicated snow tires on all vehicles whether FWD, AWD or 4 X 4. In 35 years driving I've never owned a set of chains.
Planning is always key in extreme weather. Many times waiting out the storm until the roads have been cleared is usually the best answer.
Yes, you can get anything stuck if you try hard enough. I have a bit of experience in that department .
Steve, the OP did not ask about that. In California, there are times when it is REQUIRED to have chains ON your tires. It does not matter what drive, or tires, you have....chains are required. The OP wants to know what brand of chains, and a little more about their use, as well as tire requirements without chains.

Quick Reply: Snow Chains for 19" wheels