RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Comparing the Various 3RX Models. Interesting write up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 11:24 AM
capcap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Comparing the Various 3RX Models. Interesting write up!

5 Reasons to Drive the 2013 Lexus RX350
by Michael Waterman
2013 Lexus RX350

The Lexus RX 350 dominates the luxury crossover category with more than 1 million sales since 2002. But it has an Achilles' heel: men aren't completely sold.

Wives, girlfriends, daughters and grandmothers adore the car. Testosterone-driven men, not as much, though they still buy plenty of standard RX vehicles each year.

How does Lexus attract more men to showrooms? Make the RX more masculine. In other words, offer the Lexus RX 350 F Sport.

Does the strategy work? Let's find out by exploring five reasons to drive the 2013 Lexus RX 350 F Sport.

Reason #1: Looks Matter
The quick summary of this luxury crossover is that the difference between the regular Lexus RX 350 and the F Sport model is largely cosmetic.
The standard spindle grille is mesh on the F Sport. The 19-inch alloy wheels are blacked-out in a dark graphite finish. The seats and interior are decked out in black. The brake and gas pedals are aluminum to create a sporty look.
F Sport badging is visible outside the car and on the steering wheel. And reach behind the steering wheel and you'll find paddle shifters, the first ever in an RX model.
Those elements speak a performance design language that will whisper, "buy me" to a segment of performance-minded RX buyers.

Reason #2: Same Engine, Different Transmission
Surprisingly, the RX 350 F Sport uses the same 3.5-liter V6 engine as the standard RX 350. This engine generates 270 horsepower and 248 pound-feet of torque.
It's not wicked fast, nor is it particularly slow.
Here's the big difference: the RX 350 F Sport has an 8-speed transmission instead of the standard six-speed of the regular RX 350 model.
The F Sport also comes standard with all-wheel drive. The regular RX 350 starts with front-wheel drive and offers all-wheel drive as an upgrade. Strong roadside grip is standard with the F Sport's AWD system. But it doesn't make the car feel particularly sporty. At least no sportier than the standard RX 350 with all-wheel drive.
Lexus reports the RX 350 will move from zero to 60 in about 7.7 seconds. That's not fast. But it's fast enough to comfortably move with ease on the freeway.
Fuel economy is the same as the standard model, too, with a combined city and highway average of 21 mpg. In mostly freeway driving on a long road trip, I averaged 24 mpg, short of the 26-mpg highway average.

Reason #3: A Firmer Ride Conveys More Sporty Feeling
The biggest driving difference between the standard RX 350 and the RX 350 F Sport is the tighter suspension tuning on the latter model.
Shocks are firmer. Potholes hit harder. The ride is rougher.
For some buyers, that firm ride translates into what they've trained their brains to believe is a sporty experience.
Other buyers may wince and wonder where the soft, comforting ride of the standard RX 350 has gone.
Where the Lexus GS 350 F Sport delivers on its sporty promise with a more engaging driving experience, the RX 350 F Sport feels more like a bumpy ride in a standard RX model. Test-drive both models one after the other to decide which driving experience appeals most to you.
Paddle shifters also offer the promise of a more sporty experience. They work well but after driving more than 800 miles in the RX 350 F Sport, I rarely felt the need or desire to use them.

Reason #4: Lexus RX Is A Top Safety Pick
Top safety scores are one reason why the Lexus RX models continue to sell at a rapid clip. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety named the Lexus RX a 2013 Top Safety Pick thanks to its top scores in front, side, rollover and rear crash tests.
Whether you choose the standard RX 350, the fuel-efficient hybrid RX 450h or the performance-styled RX 350 F Sport, you can feel confident that you and your passengers are well protected in a collision.

Reason #5: Recommended by Consumer Reports
The top reason many buyers choose Lexus is for the brand's outstanding reliability ratings. In our highly programmed lives, most of us no longer have time to waste sending vehicles back and forth to a mechanic's shop.
Consumer Reports predicts the 2013 RX models will deliver better-than-average reliability and bestowed its coveted Recommended rating on the vehicle.
If you pay more than $40,000 for a vehicle, one would hope that vehicle delivers outstanding dependability today and in the future. On this count, Lexus delivers big time.

An Interesting RX Alternative
I've had the chance to drive all three Lexus RX models over the past few months. If money were no object, I would choose the RX 450h for its class-leading fuel-efficiency and stylish, upgraded cabin. However, my well-optioned test model topped $64,000.

If I were counting pennies (and what Lexus owner really counts pennies?), I would choose the standard RX 350 for its satisfying mix of luxury and performance and more affordable $40,000 base price.

The last model I would buy is the F Sport. My well-optioned and attractive model had a sticker price just under $54,000. The aesthetics and butch features look good. The eight-speed transmission is smooth and works well. But ultimately, the F Sport model just isn't worth the price premium it commands.

That's not an indictment on the F Sport model as much as a statement about how good the standard RX 350 is.

http://cars.overstock.com/5-Reasons-...56/static.html
Old 01-10-14, 11:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Well as a guy I can tell you that I would have never purcahsed a standard RX350.

Lexus did well as the RX F-Sport is why I bought the RX. The ride is a little stiffer but has very little body roll and handles much like a car. The eight speed with 270hp is more than enough while still get great milage. I do find myself using the padle shifters on the steering wheel to drop it down a gear without have to shove too hard on the gas.

The 19" dark finished wheels and black on black make an acceptable visual package.
Old 01-10-14, 12:40 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Reason #2 is missing the difference in electronic nannies. The F-Sport and 450h feature VDIM, while the vanilla-flavor RX has the older implementation of separate VSC and TRAC systems. That in itself would make me pick the RX-F over RX 350.
Old 01-10-14, 02:29 PM
wallykeys
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Well as a guy I can tell you that I would have never purcahsed a standard RX350.

Lexus did well as the RX F-Sport is why I bought the RX. The ride is a little stiffer but has very little body roll and handles much like a car. The eight speed with 270hp is more than enough while still get great milage. I do find myself using the padle shifters on the steering wheel to drop it down a gear without have to shove too hard on the gas.

The 19" dark finished wheels and black on black make an acceptable visual package.
I agree with ggebhardt, the attributes of the F sport over the regular RX make this SUV much more appealing to those that are looking for more of a "drivers" vehicle and less of a lounge chair ! The suspension on the RX ( while a tad more firm) really isn't too stiff for me. I test drove both models back to back and felt the suspension differences improved the RX a great deal! The power is more than sufficient. High performance models from BMW and Porsche seem silly too me, It's an SUV for goodness sakes, not a sports car! lol! I believe the F sport falls right in between those high powered european models and the regular rx 350, not trying to be a sports car with over the top performance, and not too soft and uncommunicative on the road. The F sport just gives me a better driving experience and a much improved confidents with the upgraded suspension. Paddle shifters are useful from time to time, I use them in the wife's car every once in a while and I probably will in the F sport as well!

Last edited by wallykeys; 01-10-14 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 06:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wallykeys
I agree with ggebhardt, the attributes of the F sport over the regular RX make this SUV much more appealing to those that are looking for more of a "drivers" vehicle and less of a lounge chair ! The suspension on the RX ( while a tad more firm) really isn't too stiff for me. I test drove both models back to back and felt the suspension differences improved the RX a great deal! The power is more than sufficient. High performance models from BMW and Porsche seem silly too me, It's an SUV for goodness sakes, not a sports car! lol! I believe the F sport falls right in between those high powered european models and the regular rx 350, not trying to be a sports car with over the top performance, and not too soft and uncommunicative on the road. The F sport just gives me a better driving experience and a much improved confidents with the upgraded suspension. Paddle shifters are useful from time to time, I use them in the wife's car every once in a while and I probably will in the F sport as well!
+1 I also feel that the RX F Sport has the best balance between ride comfort and handling compared to its competition which are far too stiff here in the UK. Mine is a 450h so I guess I have the best of both worlds . The F sport suspension is great for the motorway - gives good confidence in the bends at 100mph which I cant exactly say for my previous RX
Old 01-11-14, 10:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt

Originally Posted by wallykeys
Originally Posted by rayaans
+1 I also feel that the RX F Sport has the best balance between ride comfort and handling compared to its competition which are far too stiff here in the UK. Mine is a 450h so I guess I have the best of both worlds . The F sport suspension is great for the motorway - gives good confidence in the bends at 100mph which I cant exactly say for my previous RX
Totally agree with you guys.
Old 01-11-14, 11:04 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was interested in the RX350 F-Sport for the 8 speed transmission (bit better gas milage) and that many of the options we wanted were included as part of the base package.

My wife was never a fan of the looks and neither of us liked the stitched leather seams. I think my wife sat in one at one of the dealerships but we were discouraged at all three Lexus dealers from considering the F-Sport for the most part saying the ride was stiffer and we would not like it. We never did test drive one, but never pushed very hard.
Old 01-11-14, 11:21 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

I purchased a 14' F Sport traded in a 09' 350. It's the wife's ride. We both agree the F sport is a better vehicle in our opinions. Even though the ride is stiffer it handles better and what's not to like with the manual shift if you want to go that route. Just a fun vehicle to get behind the wheel with.
Old 01-13-14, 05:31 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Awesome write up !
Old 01-13-14, 09:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonder just how many F-Sport Owners have actually owned a performance SUV from any of the Germans and put it through it's paces before comparing the ride of the F-Sport? If not, it should stop. I love the RX so don't think I'm about to start bashing it. But to think you now have a Sport SUV is just plain silly. Article states that driving a regular Rx is .05 out of 10 on the driving scale. Then infers that the F-Sport is bumped up to maybe a 1.75 in comparison of the regular Rx but somehow that morphs into an AutoBahn killing monster that Lexus has created.

It rides firmer than the RX, that's it and any delusions otherwise should be tempered with a dose of reality. I love that Lexus is finally offering a variation of ANY sort within the model line, but lets please stay in our 'sportier than regular RX' lane.

Not trying to offend anyone in the slightest so please dont take the comments personal. Just trying to give a dose of reality as to why we buy the RX and it's damn sure not for any type of driving excitement in comparison to vehicles that do.

I never thought of the Cadillac SRX as fun to drive--until I drove a 2013 back-to-back with the F Sport Lexus. The SRX feels more willing to turn, and more composed and balanced in hard turns. Its steering also feels more direct and linear, if not much more communicative. (Cadillac hasn't reported any improvements to the steering for 2013, but it felt much better to me this time around. Just because of the reference point provided by the Lexus?) The SRX's handling benefits from an active rear differential, which counteracts understeer. Other crossovers increasingly employ brake-based torque vectoring. The Lexus has neither.
Unfortunately, the Lexus RX 350 F Sport rides and handles so badly that the regular model would be preferable even if it cost the same. The F Sport folks at Lexus did such a good job with the new GS that this comes as a disappointing shock. They either didn't have as much time or money to spend tweaking the RX 350, they couldn't make the steering and suspension behave properly without making major changes, their hearts weren't in the project, or all of the above. For an entertaining crossover, a BMW X5, Infiniti FX, or even a Cadillac SRX remains a better bet. Among crossovers that are a half-size smaller, the Audi Q5, BMW X3, and Volvo XC60 R-Design are all much more fun to drive.

If you have little interest in handling anyway, then check out the regular RX 350. It's a sales leader for a few good reasons, just not driving excitement.
While the standard RX can be ordered with front-wheel drive, the F Sport is offered only with all-wheel drive. Another upgrade is found in the transmission department, where the standard six-speed has been supplanted by an eight-speed automatic -- with paddle shifts, no less, though it's hard to imagine anybody using them. The two extra gears have little appreciable effect on performance, but they improve fuel economy by 1 mile per gallon.

The 2013 Lexus RX F Sport is equipped with what Lexus describes as "front and rear performance dampers," as well as larger 19-inch wheels, lower-profile 235/55 tires and a recalibrated stability control system. Still, it's difficult to discern much of a difference in ride quality or an improvement in cornering. This isn't necessarily a knock against the RX, which isn't likely to be pressed into track-day duty under any foreseeable circumstances. But it makes the F Sport seem more like a top-of-the-line trim level rather than a separate model.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz2qIeg8odJ
Here is the best article to put that seat judging 'less body' argument to rest:

Drivetrain

Since F-Sport isn’t about power, you’ll find an identical 270 horsepower 3.5L V6 engine under the hood of the RX 350 and the RX 350 F-Sport. This is the same smooth “2GR-FE” engine used in everything from the Toyota RAV4 to the Lexus ES 350. That also means this mill doesn’t benefit from Lexus’ direct-injection sauce used to increase power and torque in the IS and GS. With only 248 lb-ft of twist on tap at a lofty 4,700 RPM, the only competitor with less is the Volvo XC60 3.2. But we must compare apples-to-apples and that’s a problem here because Volvo also offers the most powerful engine in this segment at 325 HP and a whopping 354 lb-ft of twist from the 3.0L twin-scroll turbo in the XC60 R-Design.

To compensate for the power deficit, Lexus connected the V6 to the world’s first 8-speed automatic transaxle. The new U880F transaxle features a much lower effective first gear ratio at 17.31:1 vs 14.48 for the non-F-Sport model (gear x final drive) and a taller final gear at 2.28:1 vs 2.66:1. The new ratios make the F-Sport quicker off the line, quicker to 60 by 4/10ths and improves fuel economy by 2MPG on the highway. The 18/26 MPG (city/highway) score ties with the 8-speed Q5 3.0T for the best fuel economy, 2-3MPGs better than the Americans or the Swede.

Drive

The RX has never been known as a corner carver, something that is expected of a sports package. So Lexus stiffened the dampers, fiddled with the springs, made the optional low-profile rubber standard and dropped in a version of the cross damping system found in the CT hybrid hatchback. The system uses two braces with integrated gas-shocks, connecting the left and right side of the chassis (front and rear). The braces aren’t there to increase rigidity, but rather to absorb and compensate for body vibrations. I wouldn’t say the system makes a night and day difference, but driving the F-Sport back-to-back with a “regular” RX on broken pavement, there was a difference. Depending on what you expect from your RX, that difference may excite or disappoint. If you want a marshmallow soft ride with more shove, get the RX 450h. If you’re just interested in a polished ride, get the regular RX 350 since the F-Sport tuning seems almost at odds with the RX’s mission.

You notice I didn’t say: wider tired. Most companies include wider and grippier rubber in their sports packages, but that could have led to more road noise, lower fuel economy and a crashier ride. Those don’t sound very “Lexus” to me, and apparently the engineers thought the same. Pity. While this is an omission you can fix aftermarket, the narrow 235-width tires and hefty 4,510lb curb weight mean the RX lands at the bottom of the pack when it comes to grip. That means even the porky 4,430lb MKX manages to hustle through the twisties with more poise than the RX. If grip is what you seek, look no further than the XC60 T6 AWD R-Design thanks to the lowest curb weight and some seriously wide 255/45R20 rubber. You know, for this segment.

The case for the F-Sport starts to fall apartwhen you look at that $53,000 price tag and consider our RX lacked a few options like the heads-up display and radar cruise control. That’s a $7,000 premium over the faster Volvo XC60 T6, and a $3,000 premium over Volvo’s performance trimmed XC60 R-Design. Feature for feature, the F-Sport commands a higher price than the Lincoln, Cadillac or Audi as well, not to mention those Germans we didn’t talk about. Lexus counters with a reliability and dealer reputation that is second to none. But, you can have plenty of off-warranty repairs done to your Euro crossover for the difference. Still, the RX leases well thanks to a high residual value and I suspect that has something to do with its continued dominance when it comes to sales.

Lexus has, without a doubt, created the perfect RX. It looks better than the regular RX, goes faster, is more economical, and handles slightly better as well. If you’re reading this because you want the RX, then go ahead and buy one. If however you want the best handling and performing small luxury crossover, stop by the Volvo dealer. Want sexy? Check out the 2014 Evoque with the new 9-speed.
Old 01-13-14, 10:18 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Wonder just how many F-Sport Owners have actually owned a performance SUV from any of the Germans and put it through it's paces before comparing the ride of the F-Sport? If not, it should stop. I love the RX so don't think I'm about to start bashing it. But to think you now have a Sport SUV is just plain silly. Article states that driving a regular Rx is .05 out of 10 on the driving scale. Then infers that the F-Sport is bumped up to maybe a 1.75 in comparison of the regular Rx but somehow that morphs into an AutoBahn killing monster that Lexus has created.

It rides firmer than the RX, that's it and any delusions otherwise should be tempered with a dose of reality. I love that Lexus is finally offering a variation of ANY sort within the model line, but lets please stay in our 'sportier than regular RX' lane.

Not trying to offend anyone in the slightest so please dont take the comments personal. Just trying to give a dose of reality as to why we buy the RX and it's damn sure not for any type of driving excitement in comparison to vehicles that do.

Here is the best article to put that seat judging 'less body' argument to rest:

Amen!
i don't want to burst anyone's bubble here.. BUT i guess "sporty" is also a subjective word now.
Old 01-13-14, 01:06 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be because my F sport is my first lexus, or just that this is my first car higher than the quality of a honda, but I have found that the biggest difference in ride quality isn't the firmess....it's the lack of vibration and harshness you typically feel from road imperfections. I never realized how uncomfortable and unsettled our honda odyssey drove (the $45K touring edition, no less) until I got the F sport for my car. And yes, I just got new tires on the odyssey. The ride is firmer in the F sport, but everyone who has driven in my car has commented on how smooth the ride is. Road bumps are a little more muted in the odyssey due to its softer suspension, but you can actually feel the vibrations from those bumps spread throughout the entire bottom of the car. My wife loves driving the lexus as well, firmer suspension and all, and I think it's because of the lack of other road interference you get in other cars. In fact, we are looking at getting rid of our odyssey now because of how much worse the ride is compared to the lexus. The only choice is what to get....

And when I drove both regular RX and the F sport back to back (to back, which annoyed the sales guy), I thought the 8 speed tranny made a huge difference in the way the car drove. I think the engine is plenty big for this size car. I wouldn't have minded between 300-325 hp, but overall, the F sport (to me) is the perfect combination of sport plus comfort that is suitable for all three kids to go on a long road trip.

Last edited by viperdoc; 01-13-14 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 01:20 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@oopapi44

I agree with you. I drove the porsche (both diesel and S variants) before the lexus, and realized that the porsche is in a class of its own (like the other high end german SUVs). But for what I wanted, the F sport offers enough "sport" (whatever that really means) for me to be happy with it. I have gone through very harsh riding cars because I WANTED to love a sports car, and I ended up regretting it. Now, had the porsche been the same price as the lexus, I would have chosen differently (probably).

Without the F sport option I would be driving an MDX right now, because there is no way I would have purchased the base RX. I thought the styling was too bland, didn't like the wooden steering wheel, and ride is too soft for my liking.

I agree that it's silly to match up the F sport with high end sports SUVs because that clearly isn't what it is aimed for. And that is exactly what I like it.
Old 01-13-14, 01:54 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
@oopapi44

I agree with you. I drove the porsche (both diesel and S variants) before the lexus, and realized that the porsche is in a class of its own (like the other high end german SUVs). But for what I wanted, the F sport offers enough "sport" (whatever that really means) for me to be happy with it. I have gone through very harsh riding cars because I WANTED to love a sports car, and I ended up regretting it. Now, had the porsche been the same price as the lexus, I would have chosen differently (probably).

Without the F sport option I would be driving an MDX right now, because there is no way I would have purchased the base RX. I thought the styling was too bland, didn't like the wooden steering wheel, and ride is too soft for my liking.

I agree that it's silly to match up the F sport with high end sports SUVs because that clearly isn't what it is aimed for. And that is exactly what I like it.
Don't mind me, my rant is over, had just had coffee. I'm mellow now. Your description of the F-Sport (coming from Honda) makes perfect sense.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 01-13-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 06:57 PM
ob450h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by capcap
5 Reasons to Drive the 2013 Lexus RX350
by Michael Waterman

If money were no object, I would choose the RX 450h for its class-leading fuel-efficiency and stylish, upgraded cabin. However, my well-optioned test model topped $64,000.

http://cars.overstock.com/5-Reasons-...56/static.html
If you put the resale value into the equation, RX 450h is actually not that bad.

Quick Reply: Comparing the Various 3RX Models. Interesting write up!