Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Rx350 headlights

Old 01-09-14, 04:54 PM   #1
Cobra1
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Rx350 headlights

Does anyone know if the 2013 headlights (w /led's) will fit a 2010?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 03:04 PM   #2
mullen00
Driver School Candidate

No, 2013 headlights will not fit a 2010 RX. They are narrower top to bottom. In addition, the wiring harness plugs are different. I just went throught this with my wife's 2010 RX after she damaged the front end on a light pole in a parking lot. Check out my post concerning converting an RX 2010 front end to a 2013 spindle grille.
mullen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 09:49 AM   #3
arip14
Driver School Candidate

HI there Mullen00, quick question, when you had to change the wire harness ends to fit the 2013 headlights onto your 2010 RX450H, was it as simple as just getting the correct connection ends that goes onto the 2013 headlight and joining them where you cut off the old 2010 connectors from? or was there quiet abit of modification required? thanks
arip14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-15, 12:15 PM   #4
mullen00
Driver School Candidate

Hello arip14, did you get my reply on your question? I replied when prompted on a dialog box when I logged in but I don't see my reply here on the thread. In case you didn't get it, I haven't gotten around to having Lexus give me an estimate on hooking up my LED driving lights yet. From what I understand, the LED driving lights on the 2013 system has a component that controls the intensity of the LED lights so they are brighter in daylight and dimmer at night. It's going to be a lot more complicated than just wiring in 2013 plugs. I currently have a 2010 RX 350 without the adaptive lighting system, which made it easier to install the 2013 halogen lights. I was told by my Lexus dealer that the HID light system would overload and possibly burn out my 2010 light harness so I stayed with halogen lights on the 2013 headlights. I thought about trying to get them lighted by trial and error connecting them directly to cars wiring system on full time high intensity, but when I looked in the engine compartment, it's a pretty tight fit around the back side of the headlights. I'll get an estimate from my Lexus dealer first before trying to hook them up myself. - Mike (mullen00)
Old 03-09-15, 10:03 AM   #5
playingbb
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen00 View Post
Hello arip14, did you get my reply on your question? I replied when prompted on a dialog box when I logged in but I don't see my reply here on the thread. In case you didn't get it, I haven't gotten around to having Lexus give me an estimate on hooking up my LED driving lights yet. From what I understand, the LED driving lights on the 2013 system has a component that controls the intensity of the LED lights so they are brighter in daylight and dimmer at night. It's going to be a lot more complicated than just wiring in 2013 plugs. I currently have a 2010 RX 350 without the adaptive lighting system, which made it easier to install the 2013 halogen lights. I was told by my Lexus dealer that the HID light system would overload and possibly burn out my 2010 light harness so I stayed with halogen lights on the 2013 headlights. I thought about trying to get them lighted by trial and error connecting them directly to cars wiring system on full time high intensity, but when I looked in the engine compartment, it's a pretty tight fit around the back side of the headlights. I'll get an estimate from my Lexus dealer first before trying to hook them up myself. - Mike (mullen00)
Sorry, kinda trolling...Just got a 2012 RX. You personally can install the DRL. Ebay sells a drl dimmer. If you have some knowledge of wiring, you can hook up the dimmer with the acc and it will turn on when the car turns on and hook up the dimmer wire to the headlights and the drls will dim and look exaclty the same as stock. I did this to a 2015 highlander to keep the drls on when the headlights are on.
You can get the plug from Lexus
playingbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 02:10 PM   #6
mullen00
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, Playingbb, I had the RX at the Lexus dealer today for service and I had them order the DRL plugs. I'll check out ebay add see if I can find the dimmer you mentioned.
Old 03-24-15, 12:23 AM   #7
specONE
Lead Lap

typerod
Send a message via ICQ to specONE Send a message via AIM to specONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullen00 View Post
Thanks for the info, Playingbb, I had the RX at the Lexus dealer today for service and I had them order the DRL plugs. I'll check out ebay add see if I can find the dimmer you mentioned.
The headlights have the capability of dimming on their own already from factory within the housing itself no need to get "special dimmer modules"

Just have to be wired properly and they'll work properly as DRL and DIM out with the headlamps

Here's info to assist people that I've figured out after i've stared at wiring schematics of old and new car for days.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-25-15, 09:56 AM   #8
Sfcyclist
Driver

Informative thread! Subscribed..

I actually want the 2013 lamp because DRL are inside. I can't stand that..
Sfcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-15, 11:56 AM   #9
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

For those headlight retrofitters, the RX350 are one of the most popular projectors to retrofit. Now that Lexus is moving on to LEDs they may have a hard time finding the components in the long run.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #10
playingbb
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
For those headlight retrofitters, the RX350 are one of the most popular projectors to retrofit. Now that Lexus is moving on to LEDs they may have a hard time finding the components in the long run.
I was looking for someone retrofitting. I was thinking about taking apart the headlight and inserting the drl into the headlight and resealing it. I have not done one yet, so I would rather buy than do, but I always like a challenge.
playingbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM