RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 11:34 AM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)

Hi, today I found out the hard way to lock my keys inside my 2010 RX 350.

I had left my keys in the car last night. My wife drives another car, and she leaves a bit early to drop off the kids to school. I asked the kids to (remote) start my car. So smart of me, huh? They did - using my wife's remote. As you know, in order to remote start, you need to press the lock button 3 times. Here's the problem - locking your car using the second remote can lock you out!!! Of course, they left for the school, and when I came to get it - it was locked. I can see my keys inside, but it did not recognize my hand touch on the door handle.

I had to call her, and she saved the day. I was late for work, and rest is history. But I thought I would share this so that you dont make the same mistake.
Old 01-12-10, 01:26 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Can you please explain "inside".

I understand that to be "in-ignition". As long as the key is inserted in the ignition, you can not lock from outside. Although I have not tried it .

If the key is lying somewhere in the cabin, there is no proximity sensor to detect it.

PS: My understanding is based on RX models that have ignition switch and not the button start.

Salim
Old 01-12-10, 06:10 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

He has 2010. I think they have push-button ignition.
Old 01-12-10, 07:40 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Wow, nice to know that it has remote start now!
Old 01-13-10, 03:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Remote start is an option. If you read the 3 gen forum, plenty of unhappy campers with it. May not be perfect but I like it.

Lexusrxus, thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-10, 06:48 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

There are always ways to lock your keys in the car. Put them on the passenger seat and use the lock button on the door for instance. I have always made it a practice to hide an extra key somewhere accessible on every car I have owned for over 30 years. I don't need to use it often, of course, but last year when I locked my keys in my SC430 at an interstate rest stop (bathrooms only, no gas stations) in rural Tennessee, I was able to get my secret key and get going again in less than 5 minutes. I can only imagine how long it would have taken otherwise. This is a practice that is becoming more rare every day, but it brings great peace of mind and could save you hours and money in a jam.
Old 01-13-10, 10:21 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
There are always ways to lock your keys in the car. Put them on the passenger seat and use the lock button on the door for instance. I have always made it a practice to hide an extra key somewhere accessible on every car I have owned for over 30 years. I don't need to use it often, of course, but last year when I locked my keys in my SC430 at an interstate rest stop (bathrooms only, no gas stations) in rural Tennessee, I was able to get my secret key and get going again in less than 5 minutes. I can only imagine how long it would have taken otherwise. This is a practice that is becoming more rare every day, but it brings great peace of mind and could save you hours and money in a jam.
I do the same. It saved me twice in 20 yrs.
Old 01-13-10, 08:57 PM
siestaguy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don't have a wallet key?
Old 01-14-10, 06:39 AM
tfischer

Sure I have a wallet key, but I don't want to carry that (and all my other wallet-sized conveniences) around all day long and sit on them. In fact, it's the wallet key that is secured in an accessible spot on the car.
You are trying to get me to tell you where it is, aren't you?
Old 01-14-10, 08:07 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by siestaguy
You don't have a wallet key?
Indeed I do have a wallet key. It is 'hidden' outside the car (minus the 'chip' card). The 'chip' card is hidden somewhere inside the car. So, the outside key allows entry into the car, and you then need the 'chip' card to start the engine (assuming a lost primary key), or you can just enter the car and retrieve the key you locked in by mistake, and get going. The system works!
Old 01-14-10, 08:23 AM
tfischer

As Paul says, secret the key so it is available from outside the car, and then put the chip card inside the car, as you need this to start the car. If you lock your keys inside the car, you will only need the key, but if you have lost your keys, you will need both.
Everybody should do this. I had a friend who had her own solution: he father kept the second set of keys. This system works only sporadically, and not at all when out of town. I could never convince her to hide a key on the car itself.
Remember the old "Hide-a-Key" with the giant magnet? I think they still make it, but with plastic bumpers and with hoods that lock, we have to be more creative, although the problem is hardly insurmountable.
Old 01-14-10, 09:41 AM
siestaguy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Indeed I do have a wallet key. It is 'hidden' outside the car (minus the 'chip' card). The 'chip' card is hidden somewhere inside the car. So, the outside key allows entry into the car, and you then need the 'chip' card to start the engine (assuming a lost primary key), or you can just enter the car and retrieve the key you locked in by mistake, and get going. The system works!
I like your strategy and will I do that too. so where so you hide your key?
Old 01-14-10, 11:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

On most cars with smart keys, there is a sensor inside the car that senses the smart key inside the cabin, even if its not in the ignition. This will prevent the car doors from locking when the system senses a key inside, even when one try to lock it with another fob. I wonder why the 2010 Lexus RX do not have this system.
Old 01-14-10, 12:52 PM
eaeolian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
On most cars with smart keys, there is a sensor inside the car that senses the smart key inside the cabin, even if its not in the ignition. This will prevent the car doors from locking when the system senses a key inside, even when one try to lock it with another fob. I wonder why the 2010 Lexus RX do not have this system.
Toyota's system (at least on my Prius, I haven't tried it on the Lexus) allows you to lock a SmartKey in with the remote from the outside. I can see all sorts of arguments for this (both bring keys, wife leaves purse in car, etc.).
Old 01-14-10, 01:22 PM
tfischer

On my cars, the keys are not all that smart. The card with the chip in it has to be held within an inch or two of the ignition switch when the car is started. This works very well for pulling the old hidden key trick. I will have to rethink the whole thing when I get one of the long range keys and a push button start system.

Quick Reply: Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)