RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Doors locked with Fob inside (merged threads)

Old 01-22-14, 01:38 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Guess it's pretty easy to lock the FOB in the trunk...
But she didn't really lock it, just closed the trunk while the doors were locked. That's why the trunk opened.
Old 01-22-14, 02:12 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
But she didn't really lock it, just closed the trunk while the doors were locked. That's why the trunk opened.
Well the doors were locked while the trunk was opened. Don't believe the doors open simultaneously when you lift the trunk (at least mine dont) by itself. So the car would be locked but not locked (because the FOB is inside). I wonder if she would have touched the drivers door handle would the doors have unlocked. I think that would have been a better test.

This seems to be covering a mistake versus somone intentionally trying to lock the FOB inside the vehicle. But also the more likely event as logic says don't lock your key in the vehicle.
Old 01-26-14, 10:05 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing that video gave me a little chuckle. I too have accidentally locked the key fob in my RX once, and only once. It happened a couple of years ago, and I've never been able to figure out why. I had left my purse with the fob in it on the passenger floorboard and locked the doors before taking my purse out. When I realized I had left my purse and my fob in the car, touching the door handle did not work. But, I was able to open the trunk hatch and had to climb into the vehicle through the hatch area, put down one of the back seats so I could crawl through to unlock the door. Talk about feeling like a goof! But I've never had a problem with it since then. It will let me know by beeping at me and won't let me lock the door.
Old 01-28-14, 12:03 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading this thread while sitting at the Lexus dealer asking them to figure out why the wife was able to lock her fob in the car. She likes to keep the fob, keys and iPhone in the door handle grab pocket. Last week she got out, pushed the lock button and locked the car. When we got the other fob and approached the vehicle the touch sensor would not activate. She had to push the unlock button on the 2nd fob to get it to unlock. The dealer is replacing the fob battery and said "that should never happen." I agreed until I read this post! When I mentioned it to the rep he said he had never heard of that. Lol. My wife is known to emit an EMP field or something that makes he computer do crazy stuff.
Old 01-28-14, 12:33 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
Reading this thread while sitting at the Lexus dealer asking them to figure out why the wife was able to lock her fob in the car. She likes to keep the fob, keys and iPhone in the door handle grab pocket. Last week she got out, pushed the lock button and locked the car. When we got the other fob and approached the vehicle the touch sensor would not activate. She had to push the unlock button on the 2nd fob to get it to unlock. The dealer is replacing the fob battery and said "that should never happen." I agreed until I read this post! When I mentioned it to the rep he said he had never heard of that. Lol. My wife is known to emit an EMP field or something that makes he computer do crazy stuff.
Said what should never happen? To be able to lock the car? or use the fob to open?
Old 04-09-15, 01:47 PM
FiOSDave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnonwheels
This morning I went out to my RX450h in the garage and found the doors locked. What caused this to happen?

I just looked in my 2015 ES300H manual and saw a section on this problem.
They do have a check to make sure that the keys are not left in the car, or trunk, however, they do mention that there are certain areas where this could fail and one of them is in the driver's side door (several in the trunk!).
A slight change of position is all it could take, as well as the signal being blocked by a local source (away from home) as opposed to your location, that is probably RF interference free.
Old 04-10-15, 10:11 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happened to me last week.
I went to the mall and forgot the key fob inside at the cup holder. Hours later came back and the door was locked.

Good thing is I have the Viper smartphone unlocked the door. My car is 2010 model
Old 05-11-16, 06:16 PM
rockbobmel
Driver School Candidate

Default This happened to me today!

2006 GS300, I was loading my car after work. Put my lunch bag with fob in the passenger seat and went for more stuff. I came back and the car was locked. Luckily my windows were open enough and when I reached in to unlock it, the alarm went off and I could not open the door. I then went around to the passenger door and reached in to my bag and unlocked with the fob.
If the windows were up. I'd be screwed!
Old 05-25-16, 10:25 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

With keyless entry, it will not work unless you do one of the following :

1. Hide only the key blade to gain access inside by unlocking the driver's side door manually. Best option, but I would get a spare key blade made which is expensive. Or I guess you can use one of the two spare keys by taking the key blade out and use it and HIDE it.

2. Take the battery out of one of the key FOB and hide it. NOT RECOMMENDED bc if any one finds this key fob, one can literally drive off once the battery is put back in.

3. Use Enform to unlock the doors. But requires you smart phone you had previously set up already. The problem is most likely your SMART phone is also locked inside the car and not DMART enough to call out to Enform by itself yet.

Originally Posted by tfischer
Ever since I have owned my own cars, many years ago, I have always hidden a spare key outside the car. This goes back to when the "Hide-a-Key" magnet would stick to the inside of a back bumper. Today it takes a little more time to get the hidden key into a secure location, but it's there on both my SC and my RX. I had to use it once on my SC while on the road, and it saved me hours of delay and probably hundreds of dollars, and kept my blood pressure down where it's supposed to be. (Ninety seconds and I was on the road again.)
Keeping a spare at home or with a friend or a family member (popular easy alternatives) just aren't enough.
I'm not sure what I will do when I get a newer car with push-button start, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
In the meantime, it's like all forms of insurance: it's worthwhile to set up in order to be able to use it once every ten years in an emergency.
Highly recommended.
Or you could always just leave your windows down.
Old 10-12-16, 11:42 AM
DHeal
Driver School Candidate

Hello all! I just purchased a very nice, slightly used 2012 RX 350 -- I am a Lexus newbee. On all of my other cars, I externally stash a secret spare key to access the vehicle and start the engine in case the primary key is lost or locked in the cabin and a second electronic key fob is not readily available. I do not want to buy ($$$) a third electronic key fob to hide under the car! Could I have a Lexus dealer cut a duplicate of just the metal key part of the fob and hide that under the car? If I have just the metal key part of the fob, can I successfully unlock the driver's door and then start the engine? Thanks for any assistance you can offer me. -- David
Old 10-12-16, 01:17 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DHeal
Hello all! I just purchased a very nice, slightly used 2012 RX 350 -- I am a Lexus newbee. On all of my other cars, I externally stash a secret spare key to access the vehicle and start the engine in case the primary key is lost or locked in the cabin and a second electronic key fob is not readily available. I do not want to buy ($$$) a third electronic key fob to hide under the car! Could I have a Lexus dealer cut a duplicate of just the metal key part of the fob and hide that under the car? If I have just the metal key part of the fob, can I successfully unlock the driver's door and then start the engine? Thanks for any assistance you can offer me. -- David
Hi David.

Welcome to the forum!

You most certainly can hide the metal key, which is only good for opening the door. The key fob itself has 2 types of radio devices that could be used to start the vehicle. First is the active type smart key, which sends signals using the battery. That's how the vehicle gets started when the key is in the pocket. Second is passive type using RFID technology. If the battery is dead, you can put the key fob on top of the start button and press it at that time.

It is not easy to accidentally lock a key fob inside if its battery is in a good condition. I suggest leaving the second fob out and trying out different scenarios.
Old 02-15-17, 03:23 PM
ImaPappy
Driver School Candidate

Cool Should car lock when fob is inside?

I have a 2013 RX350 FS Sport. Today I left my keys in the car while it was in the driveway. It was unlocked.

My wife went out to get something out of the car an then locked it with her keys. My keys were still inside.

I was under the impression that the car shouldn't be able to lock with another fob inside. Am I right or is somthing wrong with my car?

Thank You.

Alan
Old 11-06-17, 03:34 PM
1lconn
Driver School Candidate

Default key fob

cant find my key fob. Mite have left in car-car not running Is it possible to leave fob in car and car will lock automatically with fob inside HELP
Old 11-06-17, 04:07 PM
lawjaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

car will not automatically lock..
the only way the car locks automatically is when you press unlock from outside and door is not being opened after a while, it will lock automatically.

if your keys is inside the car, you should be able to turn it on. or it will say no key detected if key isnt inside the car
Old 11-07-17, 06:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

The way I look for my wife's keys (purse, etc left in the car), is by pressing the lock tab on the door handle.
If the key is detected inside, it will sound a long beep* - time to search the car. If not, then look through all the pockets in the coats in the closet.
In either case, it will not lock itself, unless I actually had a key fob in my pocket.

*Interference and low key fob battery may prevent key fob from being identified.