RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

NEW RX 350 or new Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 12:37 PM
satman99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NEW RX 350 or new Acura MDX

Looking for a new luxury SUV - had a 2001 RX-300 and put 230,000 miles on it and gave it to my daughter. The local Lexus dealer seems to have only AWD models and is not real helpful in getting a FWD stripper (don't want nav, etc.) The local Acura dealer has several base MDX's in FWD and seems more helpful. Drove both AWD versions and thought the Acura was much better handler and better road feel. Am leaning towards Acura but don't know about service costs and long term reliability - we will keep either car for 12 years probably. What say you? Doesn't seem to be a decent Acura MDX forum out there.
Old 01-05-14, 12:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It's unfortunate you may need to "insist" to have your new base RX ordered as dealers often stock up on loaded ones (for obvious reasons). Here's some points to consider:

1. You want to keep it 10+ years, hands down the RX is your choice for this sole reason. Not only is it best in class, it is BEST VEHICLE on the market for reliability, period.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...nd/2000009067/

MDX historically has had transmission issues by 100K miles. Search the MDX forums... I owned an '04 where one of the gears started slipping at 90K miles. I sold it then.

2. RX is cheaper on gas - 87 octane vs 91

3. RX is easier to park, maneuver, and smaller turning circle

4. Lexus panache (Acura lost its "luxury mojo" when the Legend died 15 years ago and they've been struggling since. MDX mainly has kept them alive)

5. Best highway ride and noise/vibration/harshness, though the 14 MDX is up there too.

6. F-Sport provides a slightly firmer ride with sporty handling and minimal body roll but it's in AWD only... A less effective alternative is getting the lower profile 19 inch wheels and tires on the base RX.

In short, since you require bulletproof dependability, your best chance at a troublefree 12 years is with an RX, as the facts speak for themselves.

Good luck and keep us posted!
The following users liked this post:
emmerson (06-29-21)
Old 01-05-14, 12:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Asking this question on a Lexus forum?
Old 01-05-14, 01:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Asking this question on a Lexus forum?
hehe, I was going to say the same thing.

However, since I owned an MDX, i wanted to mention that and present an unbiased,fact-based response. The newly redesigned '14 MDX is a nice vehicle and better in some ways than the RX (handling, room, RES, 7-passenger, etc), and if those are essential factors, then the MDX is the better choice for him.
Old 01-05-14, 01:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

However, since I owned an MDX, i wanted to mention that and present an unbiased,fact-based response. The newly redesigned '14 MDX is a nice vehicle and better in some ways than the RX (handling, room, RES, 7-passenger, etc), and if those are essential factors, then the MDX is the better choice for him.

Being honest,I owned a '10 RX and would definitely go MDX over another RX.
Both are great choices,though.
Old 01-05-14, 01:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by satman99
Looking for a new luxury SUV - had a 2001 RX-300 and put 230,000 miles on it and gave it to my daughter. The local Lexus dealer seems to have only AWD models and is not real helpful in getting a FWD stripper (don't want nav, etc.) The local Acura dealer has several base MDX's in FWD and seems more helpful. Drove both AWD versions and thought the Acura was much better handler and better road feel. Am leaning towards Acura but don't know about service costs and long term reliability - we will keep either car for 12 years probably. What say you? Doesn't seem to be a decent Acura MDX forum out there.
Try a different dealership. Easy to do these days with the internet. Put together what you want and email it out to see what comes back. Use the contact information tools on the Lexus.com web site.

As for which is better... the MDX is a bigger vehicle. Do you need bigger than an RX? Are you happy otherwise with the service you received on your RX300? If so, it is the devil you know vs. the devil you do not.
Old 01-05-14, 01:32 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by satman99
...we will keep either car for 12 years probably.
My wife and I use to feel this way and kept our cars for at least 5 years and more like 10.

After our recent shopping for and then purchase of our RX I realized that significant technology advancements are being made that may make keeping a vehicle that long short sighted. The rate that cars are getting smarter and smarter to the point of being self driving is just moving too fast.

I'll reevaluate over the next 5 years of owning our RX but technology in general seems to be moving so fast it is hard to say what may prompt a change over the next 5 years.
Old 01-05-14, 03:01 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

After owning a bunch of top-of-the-line Honda vehicles before switching to Lexus 3 years ago, I can tell you that it is most unlikely that I will ever buy another Honda-built vehicle. Why? Well, Honda has taken cost-cutting to unheard-of levels, removing almost all sound-deadening material in most vehicles, even high-end Accords. Now, I've read that the new gen Accord is "better" than the last gen, but Honda still won't get my business. OTOH, our Lexus vehicles are all quiet & totally dependable. Honda and Acura have some loyal followers--but not me--I've had enough of their noisy, vibrating vehicles.
emmerson (06-29-21)
Old 01-05-14, 03:36 PM
satman99
Driver School Candidate

It's unfortunate you may need to "insist" to have your new base RX ordered as dealers often stock up on loaded ones (for obvious reasons). Here's some points to consider:

1. You want to keep it 10+ years, hands down the RX is your choice for this sole reason. Not only is it best in class, it is BEST VEHICLE on the market for reliability, period.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...nd/2000009067/

MDX historically has had transmission issues by 100K miles. Search the MDX forums... I owned an '04 where one of the gears started slipping at 90K miles. I sold it then.

2. RX is cheaper on gas - 87 octane vs 91

3. RX is easier to park, maneuver, and smaller turning circle

4. Lexus panache (Acura lost its "luxury mojo" when the Legend died 15 years ago and they've been struggling since. MDX mainly has kept them alive)

5. Best highway ride and noise/vibration/harshness, though the 14 MDX is up there too.

6. F-Sport provides a slightly firmer ride with sporty handling and minimal body roll but it's in AWD only... A less effective alternative is getting the lower profile 19 inch wheels and tires on the base RX.

In short, since you require bulletproof dependability, your best chance at a troublefree 12 years is with an RX, as the facts speak for themselves.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I have researched this choice carefully and some surprising facts have surfaced.
1. True - but Mdx has new six speed transmission on 2014 MDX

2. both brochures ask that 91 octane fuel be used - both dealers say that if you want to use 87 octane the car will run fine - but with slightly reduced performance. The MDX gets 10 percent better mileage than the RX - (91 octane is 3 percent higher cost) so the advantage goes to the MDX by 7 percent in that category. The MDX is a lighter vehicle than the RX!!

3.The MDX has a slightly smaller turning radius than the RX! (38.8 ft. for RX and 37.6ft. for the MDX) The MDX's OAL is 193.6 vs 187.8 inches for the RX. Wheelbase is 3.1 inches longer for the MDX at 111. The MDX feels noticeably more agile and peppier than the RX.

4. I'll give you this one. Local dealer seems way more willing to please though. I actually maintained my 2001 Lexus through a repair shop out in the country with routine service costing about 1/3 of what Lexus dealer wanted. Local Lexus dealer wanted $1000 for 60 K service - replacing cam belts 40,000 miles early. Shop I used charged $350 at 105 K. I change the oil myself at home and use Mobil 1 full synthetic at 5K intervals religiously.

5. push on this too.

6. I wouldn't buy a sport RX 350 - seems overpriced and not what I want. I like tires to last 50K miles plus and I have heard that larger lower profile tires don't wear very well.

A few points in the MDX's favor - comes with heated seats and LED headlights, tows 3500 lbs standard and 5000 lbs with dealer installed coolers etc. It is not easy to find a tow prep equipped RX unless it is AWD and has a few other packages.

RX is cheaper if I could find a base one with heated seats and Xenon headlights. I love Toyota quality and reliability.
emmerson (06-29-21)
Old 01-05-14, 03:42 PM
satman99
Driver School Candidate

Like I said - there don't seem to be any good MDX forums out there?
Old 01-05-14, 03:48 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of my uncles own Mdx's. I don't know which year but they are both at least 12 years old and still running strong and in excellent condition. And in my experience it's easier to get the dealer to throw in a few years free maintenance or incentives with the Mdx than the Rx.
Old 01-05-14, 03:54 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Here are a few threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...n-the-way.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...4-mdx-yet.html

And from a member who switched from a '10 RX to a '12 MDX (also in previous link):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-back-mdx.html

I saw three MDXs in less than two minutes last weekend while driving. A neighbor's daughter also recently bought one too. She has two kids in grade school. They're definitely growing in popularity by me, even more than the 3RX. But I see far more previous gen RXs on the road than Acura MDXs. BTW, I haven't driven an MDX, I'm just making an observation.
emmerson (06-29-21)
Old 01-06-14, 03:45 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

satman99, I've been a car enthusiast with a heavy preference to Toyota and Honda my entire life for good reason. They've been reliable and their fit and finish above average. From the Honda side, I went through an Integra, CRV, Civic, MDX, and TL, all very good to excellent in reliability (practically matching my experience with the Toyota products).

With that said, deep down, no one in this forum can trash the '14 MDX since we all know it is a great product especially since the redesign. Its reliability track record is also very good (just the tranny as a major component historically was somewhat problematic). Of course, styling, size, and panache are subjective and only you can factor that in. At least it seems you are leaning towards the next most reliable luxury SUV to the RX, and not any of the terribly reliable German, British, and domestic models. Good luck and keep us posted either way.

Oh, and I agree, there's not one good authoritative Acura forum out there (unlike Clublexus), so maybe something else to consider in your purchase knowing you have the support of Lexus enthusiasts here...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-06-14 at 03:51 AM.
emmerson (06-29-21)
Old 01-06-14, 03:58 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=corradoMR2;8310777MDX historically has had transmission issues by 100K miles. Search the MDX forums... I owned an '04 where one of the gears started slipping at 90K miles. I sold it then.[/QUOTE]

Honda had a big issue with transmission failures in their V6 cars, vans & SUV. Thought they had it resolved by '04/'05.We had to put a rebuilt into our '05 Accord 2 years ago.
After 30 years buying top end Honda products every 4-5 years, dealer servicing etc.. all we got was a one finger wave from Honda Canada. Changed brands but not looking back. Very pleased with Lexus.
emmerson (06-29-21)
Old 01-06-14, 07:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We looked very seriously at both the RX and the new MDX.

In the end, we went with the RX because the MDX was just a bit big and minivan-ish for what we needed, we weren't that taken with the new exterior design, and our ownership experience with our TSX left us hesitant to buy another Honda/Acura product.

After about 3 months of ownership, we are very pleased with our decision to purchase the RX350, though had we decided to get the MDX, I am sure we'd be happy with it as well. Two very good SUVs.
emmerson (06-29-21)

Quick Reply: NEW RX 350 or new Acura MDX