RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

NEW RX 350 or new Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 05:02 PM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Boy that would be a tough pick. Both SUVs have pros and cons, but the tipper for me would be the 2 screen set up on the MDX and the fact that almost everything has to be done through the screens. Acura even put the seat heaters in the screen, meaning that in order to turn on the seat heater you have to press the seat picture on the screen, pick the desired heating level, and then close the seat heater screen. And then to make matters worse, once you go through all the screens and then shut off the car, the seat heaters go back to the off position so you have to do it all over again once the car is restarted. I would much rather have a switch on the console or dash that was easy on/off for routine features like seat heaters, radio tuning, fan speed, etc.
Exactly! Plus we just like the look of the Lexus better is why we are trading in our MDX for a 450h. Even our 05 MDX has that annoying screen AND buttons deal going on. Also Acura's tranny issues are well known not to mention their penchant for trying to sweep known problems under the rug. Moving to Lexus was a no brainer for us.
Old 10-27-14, 09:35 PM
rodblder44
Driver School Candidate

I have an 03 mdx i bought new and have about 55000 miles on it, no problems to date cept for the heated front seat died and are too expensive to fix and not really needed in San Diego. Am looking to replace and currently the RX 350 sport is in the lead due to its higher luxury level plus I've always wanted a Lexus!!! Don't need the larger size or 3rd row seats. Surprisingly, the 15 mdx is narrower at the rear hatch than my 03..............
Old 10-28-14, 07:10 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by rodblder44
I have an 03 mdx i bought new and have about 55000 miles on it, no problems to date cept for the heated front seat died and are too expensive to fix and not really needed in San Diego. Am looking to replace and currently the RX 350 sport is in the lead due to its higher luxury level plus I've always wanted a Lexus!!! Don't need the larger size or 3rd row seats. Surprisingly, the 15 mdx is narrower at the rear hatch than my 03..............
Wow, that is low miles for an 03, our 05 is at 138k. With kids grown and long gone, we also have no need for the 3rd row seat. In fact, I think it's only been up once and that was just to see what it looked like.
Old 11-01-14, 07:52 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

We've owned quite a few Honda, Acura, Toyota and Lexus in our big family. From my own experience, I wouldn't go back Honda/Acura for various problems. They're nice but not as nice as Lexus. For the MDX in particular, I'm not sure how it is in the new one but we did test drive the previous gen before we got our 08, the view (from driver through back window) was not clear to both of us. So we decided to test drive the RX. After that test drive, we never go back . Wife didn't even want to test drive the new MDX when we got our 15 RX recently. I must admit though I do like the head light from the new Acuras.
Old 11-02-14, 02:10 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 14 rdx and I did like it until I bought a 12 rx. I also test drove a few MDX's before buying the lexus. They drove to aggressive. I didn't try the 14 mdx and it's supposed to be less aggressive.
I will keep the rdx for two more years and then buy a used es 350 sport.
Old 11-02-14, 07:32 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

I posted on this thread earlier, as I own both a 2013 f sport and a 2014 mdx advance model. A few observations after owning both for more than 6 months.....generally speaking the lexus is much nicer. The ride is much better than in the acura. Maybe it's the dampeners in the f sport, but the transmission of road imperfections and vibrations is significantly more pronounced in the acura. The interior materials are much nicer in the lexus as well. Some of the ***** and buttons in the acura feel very cheap. The lexus drives much more dynamically. It drives like a much lighter car, but actually is 300lbs heavier than the acura, which I was surprised at. The acura is reasonably quiet, actually rated just as quiet as the lexus on road tests, which I can attest to in daily driving, but it has to use active noise cancellation while the lexus uses just insulation.

With that said, short of going to a lexus gx that gets 19mpg in the highway to get the third row, the acura is the best three row mid sized suv on the market. Has 290hp with three rows and is very nice. If u need three rows and want 28 mpg on the highway there is nothing better.
Old 11-30-14, 03:54 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I posted on this thread earlier, as I own both a 2013 f sport and a 2014 mdx advance model. A few observations after owning both for more than 6 months.....generally speaking the lexus is much nicer. The ride is much better than in the acura. Maybe it's the dampeners in the f sport, but the transmission of road imperfections and vibrations is significantly more pronounced in the acura. The interior materials are much nicer in the lexus as well. Some of the ***** and buttons in the acura feel very cheap. The lexus drives much more dynamically. It drives like a much lighter car, but actually is 300lbs heavier than the acura, which I was surprised at. The acura is reasonably quiet, actually rated just as quiet as the lexus on road tests, which I can attest to in daily driving, but it has to use active noise cancellation while the lexus uses just insulation.

With that said, short of going to a lexus gx that gets 19mpg in the highway to get the third row, the acura is the best three row mid sized suv on the market. Has 290hp with three rows and is very nice. If u need three rows and want 28 mpg on the highway there is nothing better.
I am about to make the same decision...which AUDIO SYSTEM do you like more? I assume that you have the 12-speaker Premium Lexus audio in the RX.

B/w the ELS (12-speaker in your MDX Advance) to RX-F sport 12-speaker Lexus system, which one is better sonically???

Thanks!
Old 12-01-14, 09:13 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I am about to make the same decision...which AUDIO SYSTEM do you like more? I assume that you have the 12-speaker Premium Lexus audio in the RX.

B/w the ELS (12-speaker in your MDX Advance) to RX-F sport 12-speaker Lexus system, which one is better sonically???

Thanks!
I don't have the upgraded system in my lexus, actually. I will have to go look at which is in the acura as well. But in general I like the lexus system better. Overall it is clearer with less distortion. But I don't think you would ever think the acura system is bad, per say. I just happen to be able to listen to both systems at the same time.

You should go with the one that is more comfortable to you and which one you like better from a driving standpoint. They are two significantly different cars, in my opinion. For example, one thing the lexus does better is the infotainment screen setup. I can access everything much easier than the two screen setup in the Acura. Actually the Acura system is pretty bad- you have to go through multiple screen touches to access seemingly everything! Seat heaters, fan speed adjustment, etc. on the other hand, one thing the Lexus does worse is gear selection while driving. While the Lexus drives more dynamically despite being a heavier car, the tranny seems to have an identity crisis anytime I slow down and try to accelerate again. It tends to be a way too high a gear, resulting in a big lag because the car needs to downshift before accelerating. Quite frustrating at times actually. The Acura's throttle response and gear selection is much better. So you need to drive both of them exhaustively and pick the one with the fewest flaws that you think will bug the crap out of you in the long run.
Old 11-09-15, 04:50 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's unfortunate you may need to "insist" to have your new base RX ordered as dealers often stock up on loaded ones (for obvious reasons). Here's some points to consider:

1. You want to keep it 10+ years, hands down the RX is your choice for this sole reason. Not only is it best in class, it is BEST VEHICLE on the market for reliability, period.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...nd/2000009067/

MDX historically has had transmission issues by 100K miles. Search the MDX forums... I owned an '04 where one of the gears started slipping at 90K miles. I sold it then.

2. RX is cheaper on gas - 87 octane vs 91

3. RX is easier to park, maneuver, and smaller turning circle

4. Lexus panache (Acura lost its "luxury mojo" when the Legend died 15 years ago and they've been struggling since. MDX mainly has kept them alive)

5. Best highway ride and noise/vibration/harshness, though the 14 MDX is up there too.

6. F-Sport provides a slightly firmer ride with sporty handling and minimal body roll but it's in AWD only... A less effective alternative is getting the lower profile 19 inch wheels and tires on the base RX.

In short, since you require bulletproof dependability, your best chance at a troublefree 12 years is with an RX, as the facts speak for themselves.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I agree with Corrado MR2. I have 2001 RX300 Silver Sport and it's a bullet proof. Like you, I'm leaning toward the 16 MDX as well.
Old 06-28-21, 03:10 PM
emmerson
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX350 vs. Acura MDX for Daily Driver in Winter/Summer?

I'm looking at getting a 3rd generation RX350 for my daily hour long commute to work, but the MDX from Acura has suddenly come across my radar, and it's also a great looking vehicle.

Any chance anyone has had both and can advise on which would be the best choice for reliability and comfort (and are they comparable gas-consumption wise)? I live not far from the Toronto area.

Thank you.

Jeff
Old 06-28-21, 09:13 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by emmerson
I'm looking at getting a 3rd generation RX350 for my daily hour long commute to work, but the MDX from Acura has suddenly come across my radar, and it's also a great looking vehicle.

Any chance anyone has had both and can advise on which would be the best choice for reliability and comfort (and are they comparable gas-consumption wise)? I live not far from the Toronto area.

Thank you.

Jeff
The MDX requires premium fuel while the Lexus does not and the delta on premium fuel has gone WAY up in the last few years. In some Canadian markets, it's like +25¢/L and that's insane. Deal breaker when one considers how comparable everything else in these vehicles are.