RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

NEW RX 350 or new Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 03:54 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSSLDR
........you must get the most expensive MDX - 58K for the following options available standard on AWD RX(49K), .... or F-sport(52K)

I use these all the time:
**Auto dimming and reverse tilting side view mirrors
**Lane change assist

wife's comfort is very important to me:
**Passenger power lumbar
**Cooled front seats

To me they are not similarly equipped. Acura falls short when it comes to packaging options. If I wanted great AWD I would have gone back to Subaru. Lexus AWD w/VDIM is more than adequate in the NY-NJ-CT area. In the end I picked up the RX F sport with a premium luxury interior for well less than 50K.
Your absolutely right about frustrating packaging of options in MDX. I experienced that as well when I bought our 2011 mdx and couldn't get some options I wanted without the advance package which I didn't want due to the adjustable suspension which I didn't like. I will tell you this, although many on the Lexus site don't want to hear it, the mdx is a significantly better driving vehicle, much better suspension, better handling, and better put together, much fewer rattles. It is bigger although it doesn't drive like it. Both the rx and mdx are the best value of the luxury segment, but the mdx is overall better, IMO. All things being equal, the mdx should command a higher price, it's better. It's a shame, because the third generation rx should have evolved further and didn't!! Regards. Ned.
Old 01-12-14, 06:11 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ngerstman
Your absolutely right about frustrating packaging of options in MDX. I experienced that as well when I bought our 2011 mdx and couldn't get some options I wanted without the advance package which I didn't want due to the adjustable suspension which I didn't like. I will tell you this, although many on the Lexus site don't want to hear it, the mdx is a significantly better driving vehicle, much better suspension, better handling, and better put together, much fewer rattles. It is bigger although it doesn't drive like it. Both the rx and mdx are the best value of the luxury segment, but the mdx is overall better, IMO. All things being equal, the mdx should command a higher price, it's better. It's a shame, because the third generation rx should have evolved further and didn't!! Regards. Ned.
You are correct! I dont understand why Acura is still bundling options in packages that way. Anyhow, the 2014 MDX is a complete new car (. Many posters here still refered to the previous generation MDX which was not as good as our RX). It is better than our RX in many ways and a better value as well. We were shopping and it came down to either the RX or MDX. Of course the wife won with the RX (but it was also due to us finding a leftover 2013 with really good price).
Old 01-12-14, 06:54 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by pheonix72
You are correct! I dont understand why Acura is still bundling options in packages that way. Anyhow, the 2014 MDX is a complete new car (. Many posters here still refered to the previous generation MDX which was not as good as our RX). It is better than our RX in many ways and a better value as well. We were shopping and it came down to either the RX or MDX. Of course the wife won with the RX (but it was also due to us finding a leftover 2013 with really good price).
They are both in the zone of best in class for the money. Can't go wrong with either. I like the size and look of the rx. It is butter, smooth as could be. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-13-14, 09:28 AM
satman99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to buy a 2014 FWD RX with comfort package (heated seats, HID headlights and rain sensing wipers), towing prep and display audio package (upgraded audio system) only. I have a Garmin with lifetime map upgrades that I am totally familiar with so I don't want any nav system. After talking with 4 Lexus dealers I'm still not sure if this CAN be ordered or WILL any dealer order it that way for me? They are all still trying to sell me cars that are available with other options that I don't want! Quite frustrating! The base MDX FWD comes with heated seats and LED headlights and will tow the same as the Lexus (3500 lbs) without tow prep. I would buy an upgraded audio from Acura with the car if it were available. Truth be known I would buy the Levinson audio system for $995 from Lexus if it were available without loading me into 5 thousand extra dollars of stuff I don't want. So I am leaning towards the Acura MDX for these reasons. I liked our old RX 300 Lexus for its great reliability and luxury ride, great fit and finish and suitability for our purpose. I don't think you can compare 2014 Acura MDX handling and general driving feel to a 2014 RX350 - the Acura is WAY better.
Thanks for so many insightful comments about these two great cars - I think this forum is one of the best out there - so much good info and so easy to use! Thanks again.
Old 01-13-14, 10:10 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

satman99, I posted the links I did more for comparison. I realize the 2014 MDX is new. I thought it would be a good point of comparison (i.e. improvements, things to look for, etc.) as it relates to the 3RX. Lexus dealers usually get RXs equipped with various packages dictated by popular options in a particular geography. For example, FWD will probably be impossible to find in your area. Non-nav RXs definitely exist but they're less common. Or the dealer can special order it for you with the other options you want. The downside is waiting 3-4 months. You're better off extending your search area.

In a way, it sound like you made up your mind. I wish you luck with whatever you decide. Of course we'd like to see you join the RX family.
Old 01-13-14, 10:16 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by satman99
I would like to buy a 2014 FWD RX with comfort package (heated seats, HID headlights and rain sensing wipers), towing prep and display audio package (upgraded audio system) only. I have a Garmin with lifetime map upgrades that I am totally familiar with so I don't want any nav system. After talking with 4 Lexus dealers I'm still not sure if this CAN be ordered or WILL any dealer order it that way for me? They are all still trying to sell me cars that are available with other options that I don't want! Quite frustrating! The base MDX FWD comes with heated seats and LED headlights and will tow the same as the Lexus (3500 lbs) without tow prep. I would buy an upgraded audio from Acura with the car if it were available. Truth be known I would buy the Levinson audio system for $995 from Lexus if it were available without loading me into 5 thousand extra dollars of stuff I don't want. So I am leaning towards the Acura MDX for these reasons. I liked our old RX 300 Lexus for its great reliability and luxury ride, great fit and finish and suitability for our purpose. I don't think you can compare 2014 Acura MDX handling and general driving feel to a 2014 RX350 - the Acura is WAY better.
Thanks for so many insightful comments about these two great cars - I think this forum is one of the best out there - so much good info and so easy to use! Thanks again.
Built to Order.
you can even have cloth seats ( i don't recommend it)
Old 01-13-14, 01:34 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are going to get an MDX in the spring to replace our minivan. We just test drove the 2014 over the weekend. VERY impressed. I would actually say that the ride is as firm as the F sport, with the same level of quietness in the cabin. Driving dynamics are similar as well, both with the same level of body lean in corners. You can tell, though, that the MDX has wider tires, which is something the RX F sport should have come with. The MDX is a very reasonable minivan replacement for those who want a good handling car that can also seat 7 comfortably, but are tired of driving a loud honda around. And while my wife loves it, she did mention that it did NOT feel particularly luxurious inside, compared to the GX we looked at. She got in and immediately commented that the interior reminded her of our current odyssey. That isn't a bad thing necessarily, but for $57K, I did expect it to be a little nicer inside. I think that is where acura and lexus differ though, and why the lexus costs more given comparably equipped cars. But whether that is something you notice or not is a different story.
Old 01-13-14, 03:31 PM
dadprice3
Driver School Candidate

Default Be Careful

After reading the thread, would like to advise care in selection. We had a 2008 Lexus, which was a great non-problem vehicle. Seeking better gas mileage, we sized down to the 2013 Acura RDX. Initially it seemed about the same, but over the next year we had electrical issues, found a rattle that could not be fixed, and the materials of construction were not as high a quality. The dealer was not helpful, also. We traded it in for a RX350 AWD in November - pleased to have the Acura gone and the RX in the garage.

As such, one of the major mistakes was purchasing the Acura at the beginning of a new edition - 2013 was a redesign/updated for the RDX. The MDX has done the same for 2014. Though you love the MDX, I'd suggest waiting a while before you purchase - to let the bugs get identified. Also, as some have said, the level of luxuary is not quite the same level as Lexus - we are thankful we could get back in a Lexus. You can order a Lexus to your requirements. My experience says it would be worth the wait.

Good Luck
Old 01-13-14, 04:44 PM
heisnuts
Rookie

Boy that would be a tough pick. Both SUVs have pros and cons, but the tipper for me would be the 2 screen set up on the MDX and the fact that almost everything has to be done through the screens. Acura even put the seat heaters in the screen, meaning that in order to turn on the seat heater you have to press the seat picture on the screen, pick the desired heating level, and then close the seat heater screen. And then to make matters worse, once you go through all the screens and then shut off the car, the seat heaters go back to the off position so you have to do it all over again once the car is restarted. I would much rather have a switch on the console or dash that was easy on/off for routine features like seat heaters, radio tuning, fan speed, etc.
Old 01-13-14, 04:49 PM
wase4711
Rookie

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Boy that would be a tough pick. Both SUVs have pros and cons, but the tipper for me would be the 2 screen set up on the MDX and the fact that almost everything has to be done through the screens. Acura even put the seat heaters in the screen, meaning that in order to turn on the seat heater you have to press the seat picture on the screen, pick the desired heating level, and then close the seat heater screen. And then to make matters worse, once you go through all the screens and then shut off the car, the seat heaters go back to the off position so you have to do it all over again once the car is restarted. I would much rather have a switch on the console or dash that was easy on/off for routine features like seat heaters, radio tuning, fan speed, etc.
this would annoy the hell out of me
Old 01-15-14, 02:41 PM
Khudos
Driver School Candidate

I am in the market of trading in my 02 x5 3.0. Interested in getting the 14 MDX w/tech package as well since I already own the 11 RX450H. Might drive the x5 for another year.
Old 01-16-14, 06:27 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Khudos
I am in the market of trading in my 02 x5 3.0. Interested in getting the 14 MDX w/tech package as well since I already own the 11 RX450H. Might drive the x5 for another year.
If you have kids and need the third row, there is no beating the MDX, I think it is the winner by a wide margin. My wife drives a 2011, loves it and we never really use the third row. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-24-14, 08:21 PM
satman99
Driver School Candidate

Default Bought the MDX

Well, we bought an 2014 SH-AWD MDX late in Feb 14 and I thought I'd give a progress report. The MDX has 17,000 miles on it with no trouble whatsoever. The MDX will get over 30 mpg on the road between Columbus, Oh and Indianapolis, In with the cruise set on 70 mph. That's about 6-7 mpg better than the 2001 fwd RX-300 it replaced (which now lives with daughter and son in law and twin grandbabies). The grandbabies are one of the reasons the MDX was chosen (3rd row seats). I would say the MDX has a general sportier feel and better handling and acceleration than the 2014 RX that we drove. I think the RX was a quieter vehicle than the MDX - but only slightly. Many times after driving the MDX I will say to the wife - this is a really good car, very satisfying to drive, and she always agrees. We towed a small trailer with a HD m/c to visit our other daughter in Az. On that trip the mileage really dived to a low of 14 mpg during a very windy stretch in Texas. Towing mileage was generally around 20 mpg - be sure and use premium for any towing! The worst thing about the MDX are the two touch screens - they are not intuitive and talk about distracted driving, they are really poor IMHO. My wife and I do not have smart phones but we use IPads and PCs daily so we are not strangers to touch screens and computers. We have no regrets with our purchase and our old Lexus RX purrs along at 240,000 miles.
Old 10-25-14, 02:39 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I decided to test the 2012 mdx against a 2012 rx earlier this year the rx won out. I do know they "detuned" the mdx's road feel for the 14's but the rx I bought is so quiet and smooth compared to the 12 mdx....Also the reliability ratings made me pick the Lexus and I don't need a third row. We also have a 14 rdx and so for it has been great, and I bought it due to the price, fun to drive but is in a different league in price and quality when compared to the rx.
Old 10-25-14, 06:52 AM
recycled
Rookie

Originally Posted by hovbuild
When I decided to test the 2012 mdx against a 2012 rx earlier this year the rx won out. I do know they "detuned" the mdx's road feel for the 14's but the rx I bought is so quiet and smooth compared to the 12 mdx....Also the reliability ratings made me pick the Lexus and I don't need a third row. We also have a 14 rdx and so for it has been great, and I bought it due to the price, fun to drive but is in a different league in price and quality when compared to the rx.
Don't want to derail this thread but I tried a new RDX before buying the 2011 RX 350. I found the RDX ride too harsh and the ride not as smooth as the RX.
Guy

Quick Reply: NEW RX 350 or new Acura MDX