RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Which cabin filter to buy and where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 08:38 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which cabin filter to buy and where?

I do not work on my car but figure I could manage this (not overly mechanical but catch on fast )

I am looking for the best filter for the job, not necessarily the cheapest.

I tend to stick with OEM parts but if there were a suitable replacement that would be fine.

Thanks and Happy Holiday traveling to all!
Old 12-26-13, 08:43 PM
itiramisu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wix 24483 Cabin Air Filter
Amazon $13
Old 12-27-13, 05:24 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can get a FRAM carbon-impregnated filter at Walmart for about $20 if you want instant gratification rather than wait for one to ship to you. They seem to work fine.
Old 12-27-13, 08:12 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by itiramisu
Wix 24483 Cabin Air Filter
Amazon $13
Which means you now need to order three (3) to qualify for free shipping as free shipping now starts with orders of $35.

Originally Posted by RickC5
You can get a FRAM carbon-impregnated filter at Walmart for about $20 if you want instant gratification rather than wait for one to ship to you. They seem to work fine.
This you can order from Amazon as well if you like this filter. This time I would recommend you use Amazon's Subscribe & Save service. Ends up being cheaper though you may need to wait a bit for the order to ship. So, plan ahead. Shipping this method would be free even for a single filter. Set the delivery schedule to every six (6) months. You can have one shipped to you then afterwards you can cancel the subscription. Next time you want to order one you can reorder the same way.

Amazon.com: FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive
Old 12-27-13, 08:29 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Which means you now need to order three (3) to qualify for free shipping as free shipping now starts with orders of $35.

This you can order from Amazon as well if you like this filter. This time I would recommend you use Amazon's Subscribe & Save service. Ends up being cheaper though you may need to wait a bit for the order to ship. So, plan ahead. Shipping this method would be free even for a single filter. Set the delivery schedule to every six (6) months. You can have one shipped to you then afterwards you can cancel the subscription. Next time you want to order one you can reorder the same way.

Amazon.com: FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive
Heres a trick I use with Amazon, first you have to plan on making your purchases within a 29 day period. Then sign up for free trial of Amazon Prime. With Prime you get free 2nd day shipping with anything purchased from Amazon that is fulfilled by amazon ie not private sellers on amazon. It is basicly the same items that you get free ship over $35. Go into you user profile under manage your Prime account and select do not renew at the end of 30 day trial. Thats it than order anything for free ship. I do this the beginning of Dec and order Christmas gifts for quick free shipping.
Old 12-27-13, 02:58 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies! I will research them tonight. I will never be without Amazon Prime in this lifetime! So as long as it is Prime, I get free shipping. I watch ALOT of their TV stuff too. Great deal.
Old 12-27-13, 07:07 PM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Thanks for the replies! I will research them tonight. I will never be without Amazon Prime in this lifetime! So as long as it is Prime, I get free shipping. I watch ALOT of their TV stuff too. Great deal.
As for cabin air filters, they're pretty much all the same and can do a decent job. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, you can order several Denso (OEM) at RockAuto for a decent price. Otherwise, a Fram over at Walmart wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 12-27-13, 07:31 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I ordered one of these: Amazon.com: FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

If all is good, I shall get more. I was under the impression that every 6 months was good to change filters, but my memory may be cloudy.

It will be here Tuesday!

Thanks folks!

Last edited by CapeDave; 12-27-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 07:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I ordered one of these: Amazon.com: FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

If all is good, I shall get more. I was under the impression that every 6 months was good to change filters, but my memory may be cloudy.

Thanks folks!
That can be a personal decision. Depends on the area you live, drive and park your RX. I believe the manual says to change them every 30K and clean them at 15K. Would think that at 6 months you could take it out for a good vacuum or cleaned with an air gun as needed and reinstall if all looks good. Believe you should be able to get a year out of one of the filters regardless unless yours are getting very dirty.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf
Old 12-28-13, 08:55 AM
felix168
Rookie

That can be a personal decision. Depends on the area you live, drive and park your RX. I believe the manual says to change them every 30K and clean them at 15K. Would think that at 6 months you could take it out for a good vacuum or cleaned with an air gun as needed and reinstall if all looks good. Believe you should be able to get a year out of one of the filters regardless unless yours are getting very dirty.

One thing that you DO NOT do with an air filter is to vacuum or clean with an air gun. Just think how an air filter element keep dirt from passing through.

For a $12-15 filter, I would just change it once a year (March 1st every year, just before the allergy season begins in my area).
Old 12-28-13, 08:57 AM
felix168
Rookie

It will be here Tuesday!

Thanks folks!
Good filter at a good price if you can get free shipping on it. Drawback with that Fram filter is you can't really tell how dirty it can get
Old 12-28-13, 09:14 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by felix168
One thing that you DO NOT do with an air filter is to vacuum or clean with an air gun. Just think how an air filter element keep dirt from passing through.

For a $12-15 filter, I would just change it once a year (March 1st every year, just before the allergy season begins in my area).
Have run the vac on those in my vehicles for years without problems. Not doing a deep clean, rather, just getting bits and pieces of pollen or leaves off the surface with the duster attachment. Besides, have you read the Owner's Manual? Did you see the picture on how they explain how to clean the cabin air filter? By blowing air from the reverse side.

Old 12-28-13, 04:21 PM
felix168
Rookie

Have run the vac on those in my vehicles for years without problems. Not doing a deep clean, rather, just getting bits and pieces of pollen or leaves off the surface with the duster attachment. Besides, have you read the Owner's Manual? Did you see the picture on how they explain how to clean the cabin air filter? By blowing air from the reverse side.

I suppose you're correct. I'm surprised that cleaning an air filter with compressed air was even suggested.

Personally, I still won't do it.
Old 12-29-13, 01:50 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by felix168
I suppose you're correct. I'm surprised that cleaning an air filter with compressed air was even suggested.

Personally, I still won't do it.
Felix, I agree with you.
It's not good to dust off anything with compressed air because the dust flies into the air, then we inhale it if we're not wearing a particle mask. Defeats the purpose of the filter, which is to keep pollutants out of our pulmonary system.
If I sneeze when I turn on the A/C or heat, I change the cabin air filter.
Works every time.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 12-29-13, 05:50 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Assuming all goes well with the install, I'll just replace every 4-6 months. And I'll have a spare around for dust emergencies. Dusty roads, etc.

Next I may attempt lighted sills from SewellParts. Looks like an easy install

Quick Reply: Which cabin filter to buy and where?