RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Guess The Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 11:15 AM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess The Damage

So we are in the process of moving from Philadelphia to St. Louis over the next few weeks and this morning is when my wife left to go home for the holidays. We had a bunch of family in town for her graduation from Drexel's PA program - one of which was her mother who stayed at one of the hotels near the airport.

Anyways, we pack her car early this morning and she goes to pick her mom up from the hotel to head back home to Indianapolis. She briefly parked her car in the pickup/dropoff area by the front entrance and ran in to get her mom. She was inside for about 2 minutes only to find out one of the airport shuttles took a turn too sharp and the back driver side of the shuttle bus scraped her rear bumper and quarter panel.

The hotel manager came out and the driver of the shuttle admitted full responsibility which is documented both in an email from the hotel manager as well as the police report. Their insurance will be covering everything.

From an initial inspection, the rear bumper is still attached very well and the right bumper light is functional. The trunk opens and closes smoothly and the exhaust doesn't seem to have been impacted.

My guess is a new rear bumper, some time in the body shop for the rear quarter panel, and new clips, etc. for the rear bumper light. My guess is $1500ish. The car will be taken to a certified Lexus/Toyota repair center and all parts will be OEM.

Apologize in advance for having to turn your head left, for some reason the images are automatically getting flipped when I upload them.
Attached Thumbnails Guess The Damage-lex1.jpg   Guess The Damage-lex2.jpg  
Old 12-14-13, 11:44 AM
mshumack
Driver

That's about $3,000 in damages.
Old 12-14-13, 11:48 AM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

At least $3000.
Old 12-14-13, 02:54 PM
2010morx
Rookie

Having it fixed in StL or Philly? If StL I can recommend a very good dealer if you need one.
Old 12-14-13, 02:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

More than $1500 that's for sure!

At least no one was injured.
Old 12-14-13, 03:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The bumper alone is $1500 or more. That will need replaced. Make sure they provide a new step pad on the rear bumper as well. The area above the bumper in another grand. Looks like the marker light may need to be replaced as well.
Old 12-14-13, 03:23 PM
dwlink
Driver

Originally Posted by 2010morx
Having it fixed in StL or Philly? If StL I can recommend a very good dealer if you need one.
It'll be fixed in STL so I'm all ears. I'm surprised the rear bumper costs so much - I was estimating $300 for the part and $400 for paint and install.
Old 12-14-13, 04:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dwlink
It'll be fixed in STL so I'm all ears. I'm surprised the rear bumper costs so much - I was estimating $300 for the part and $400 for paint and install.
Though this is retail, here is the bumper skin, just a little more for the part than you think:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2010.html

Depending on the paint code it could be a three layer process. First coat is the color, followed by pearl, followed by clear.

In addition to recommendations you get here at CL, be sure to check with the local Lexus dealership(s) for their recommendations and quotes.
Old 12-14-13, 07:18 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When we had our 2010 450h, we had a similar repair, but no quarter panel damage. They had to replace the entire bumper with step pad, and also the right rear marker light and assembly. Price including paint, parts, labor and tax was just under $1400.00. We had it done at Parker Lexus in Little Rock, AR.
Whoever does your repair, be sure to check the paint in the light when finished. Our Matador Red Mica at the time was more than a shade off, so had to repaint. Hard to get the bumper paint match just right, but they admitted, and agreed, it needed to be redone for a closer match.
Old 12-14-13, 08:12 PM
2010morx
Rookie

Originally Posted by dwlink
2 Dealers in StL. I Highly recommend Dave Mungenast Lexus. Do not recommend Plaza Lexus.
Old 12-15-13, 06:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Been there done that.

Bumpers are often difficult to do properly. They need to paint a vinyl cover with paint that has extra flex agents in it and then they need to buff it. Paint on vinyl doesn't like being buffed as it gets hot very quickly. Buffing to match the original paint texture is difficult and takes skill and time to do properly. Repainted bumpers occasionally seem to show a slight color difference on some vehicles, usually darker.

I'd suggest that you not pick your car up at night, even if you need to take some time off, inspect it outside in bright daylight. Some things to look for... proper color match including the even distribution of the pearl or metallic particles to match the rest of the car and look at the texture. It should also match the existing paint finish. This requires skill on the part of the paint shop. To do this properly takes time and paint shops are production facilities. Look for runs, drips or fish eyes. Look for overspray on other areas of the car, including glass and wheels. In other words, it should look like it never happened

I'd expect that you will have a rental car paid for by the insurance company during the repair. Don't give the rental up until after you are sure the work was performed to your satisfaction. If the job doesn't look right tell them you will come back when they fix it right and get back in the rental car and depart. Don't fall for the "bring it back and we will buff that right out" line. Refuse to accept sub-standard work.
Old 12-15-13, 05:28 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Been there done that.

Bumpers are often difficult to do properly. They need to paint a vinyl cover with paint that has extra flex agents in it and then they need to buff it. Paint on vinyl doesn't like being buffed as it gets hot very quickly. Buffing to match the original paint texture is difficult and takes skill and time to do properly. Repainted bumpers occasionally seem to show a slight color difference on some vehicles, usually darker.

I'd suggest that you not pick your car up at night, even if you need to take some time off, inspect it outside in bright daylight. Some things to look for... proper color match including the even distribution of the pearl or metallic particles to match the rest of the car and look at the texture. It should also match the existing paint finish. This requires skill on the part of the paint shop. To do this properly takes time and paint shops are production facilities. Look for runs, drips or fish eyes. Look for overspray on other areas of the car, including glass and wheels. In other words, it should look like it never happened

I'd expect that you will have a rental car paid for by the insurance company during the repair. Don't give the rental up until after you are sure the work was performed to your satisfaction. If the job doesn't look right tell them you will come back when they fix it right and get back in the rental car and depart. Don't fall for the "bring it back and we will buff that right out" line. Refuse to accept sub-standard work.
Not that anyone is taking a poll, but excellent post!
Old 12-15-13, 07:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Been there done that.

Great advise!
Old 12-15-13, 09:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

jfelbab's post is indeed very good.

I've only had a bumper repainted one time and had it be perfect the first time. I had the same shop repaint the bumper on a different car a couple years later and they had to do it 3 times to get it right. Its tough, be sure you check it out in a bunch of different light, daylight, under gas discharge lamps like at a gas station, and the big one is those amber discharge lamps that they use in parking lots. They always seem to make the color difference look really pronounced. Be sure to compare the side of the bumper that was undamaged against the quarter panel on that side, because you're looking for a match to the OEM paint...the one on the passenger side won't be OEM on the quarter panel.

I would take my time and find the right shop more than I'd be worried about it being a "Lexus shop". Body work is body work, and in my experience a lot of time dealer shops do crummy work because they have a built in source of business in the dealership. Independent shops rely on referrals and reputation.

Be sure the shop understands, you will accept nothing but perfection...let them know if they are not up to that its okay, you'd rather know now than after theres an issue.

It can be repaired 100% so nobody would ever know, but find the right shop...and be prepared to demand it be shot a couple times maybe before its right.
Old 12-16-13, 04:41 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I would take my time and find the right shop more than I'd be worried about it being a "Lexus shop". Body work is body work, and in my experience a lot of time dealer shops do crummy work because they have a built in source of business in the dealership. Independent shops rely on referrals and reputation.
I have seen more accidents in recent 3 years than I have past 27 years. as noted by above member, I would not take my vehicle to the dealer managed shop(s). Talk to the insurance company and ask them for referrals and you check them out yourself to see if they have Lexus vehicles being repair and finished vehicle for paint/repair quality. also check the BBB to see how many complaints they have logged in past 5 years and if they have resolution to each. Mine was little more damaged on the quarter panel and it cost $5k+ and three days to repair.

Quick Reply: Guess The Damage