RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Brand for air filter. Fuel additive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 06:27 PM
michaelcao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brand for air filter. Fuel additive?

Hey guys, I am Michael and I just bought 2010 rx350. I m 23 and I thought may be a younger guy in the lexus club?
I tried to change the air filter myself and look at wix 24483 or fram 10285 air filter. Does anyone suggest which brand and part number is great?
I also want to add the fuel additive like techron because I am new to us and add Arco fuel until my friend tell me it doesn't add any additive in the fuel. Does any suggestion for which additive you use?
Finally, I book an appointment for my 40000 miles service. They quote me $280 for 40000 miles service so I ask only change oil filter and tore rotation for $140. But I see someone only pay for $70 for oil filter in lexus dealership. Is my quote expensive? I live in sacramento,ca.
Old 12-12-13, 07:15 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, 506709631.

I have used WIX filters for most of my life and they are of good quality. Will not dismiss FRAM. They are perhaps easier to find and they sometimes come with rebates. The big thing is to pick a brand and make sure you change it on a regular basis per the maintenance schedule. Do that and you will be fine. Also, make sure to understand the airflow direction for when you install that new cabin filter. Instructions are in the Owner's Manual.

Regarding the topic of additives, the ARCO gas is just fine. All that stuff about Top Tier gas is just marketing. If you want to use an additive you can treat your RX to a 20oz bottle of Techron once or twice a year. Get a bottle, they are currently on sale at Advance Auto Parts, then next time you need gas dump a bottle in before you fill the tank.

Finally, if you are trying to save on servicing I might recommend you look for the local Toyota Express Lube. They can perform the oil changes and tire rotations you need at a better price and they will get you out in under an hour. Just do your homework and see if there are any reviews. There can be bad Toyota/Lexus shops as well.
Old 12-13-13, 12:42 AM
michaelcao
Driver School Candidate

Thank you RX330inFL.
i have ordered techern from Amzon at $7and it is out of stock until today. most of the shop sold at $12.99. luck day!!
I don't mean the price is expensive because I know the price is different in each state and each dealership is individual. because this is my first time to do the service, I just want to know what's the normal price for the oil change in lexus dealer and whether my price is more than the other lexus shop. But thank you for your suggestion and I have found a shop good at toyota and lexus.
Finally, do you know how to change my "506709631" username to Michael? i have tried for a moment but dpn't know how to change it.
Old 12-13-13, 01:56 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Yes, the $140 for an oil change and tire rotation is a bit on the high side even for Lexus and even for CA with the possible exception of a few areas there from what I have seen. Under $100 would be better for No CA. Do you get a loaner vehicle for that $140? Then perhaps it is a better deal for you. Always best to ask. You may need to set appointments up weeks in advance to get a loaner. Some shops do not provide loaners if the length of the service is going to be under 2 hours. Why I mentioned the Toyota Express Lube. You could probably get the same service for around that $70 price and be out under an hour. Not as nice a shop, but perhaps that is not a big deal for you. They will use the same oil and filter you would get at Lexus. You can always take your RX to Lexus for the other service matters and any recalls.

Which reminds me, you will want to register your RX with Lexus online. Gives you access to the past service history with Lexus, access to any recall information, etc. You will want to know what the inservice date is on your RX for the basic warranty which may have expired or about to expire. The power train warranty is still in affect.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

The sale for Techron by Advance Auto Parts is part of their sale circular and is currently 2/$13.99 (one for $12.99 and the second for $1) through the end of the month. FWIW. Seems it is always on sale this time of year.

Unfortunately, once you create a Username there is no way to change it. As you do not have much of a history here at CL you might consider just creating a new account. Perhaps the moderators will have another idea.
Old 12-13-13, 03:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, Michael. Congrats on your RX and for doing some of the maintenance yourself. There is an entire section in the manual dedicated to this or you can search here. The brand filters mentioned are all good. You can also get filters from our vendors. I haven't used gas additives so I'll defer to those who have. The 40K is considered minor service with an oil change. Try having it done at Toyota like RX330inFL said. And definitely register on the Lexus website. It'll give you the service history and the ability to add any services you have done outside of the Lexus dealer.

To change your username, submit your request here.
Old 12-15-13, 07:46 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Finally another 23 year old with a RX! Welcome and Congrats!
Old 12-16-13, 04:57 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 506709631
Hey guys, I am Michael and I just bought 2010 rx350. I m 23 and I thought may be a younger guy in the lexus club?
Are you sure you aren't confused with IS350? Does your mom know you are driving her RX?
Old 12-16-13, 05:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Aw c'mon, leave Michael alone Obviously the RX being an older female only vehicle is no longer the case. I applaud him for his choice.
Old 12-16-13, 09:46 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Say what?!?

Originally Posted by kitlz
Aw c'mon, leave Michael alone Obviously the RX being an older female only vehicle is no longer the case. I applaud him for his choice.
Anita,

Did you just call my wife an "older female?" BTW, I love driving her truck when she lets me.

Greg

To the OP, I try to stick with OEM Toyota filters (oil, air) for my Lexus vehicles although I did put a Napa Gold air filter in my SC430. I suppose any quality filter will be just fine.
Old 12-17-13, 08:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by StillLine
Anita,

Did you just call my wife an "older female?" .
I was implying older than 23

Getting back to topic, Toyota dealers sell OE parts for less. Which reminds me it's about time to pick up wiper refills for my Highlander, I mean RX
Old 12-18-13, 05:49 PM
michaelcao
Driver School Candidate

thanks RX330inFL.
Do you mean "Toyota Express Lube" as a motor shop which is professional for toyota and lexus? I found a shop through yelp and it is rated average 5 out of 5, opened nearly 20 years and good at lexus and toyota. Do you know they will use the same type of oil(0w-20) and full synthesis too? how long do you change the oil, 5000 miles or 10,000 miles? the dealer told me their instruction shows i only need to change the oil for each 10,000 miles rather than 5000 miles shown from the owner's manual. it really confused me !!!
for the recall, do you know any recall for the front bumper's clicker of RX? i met a problem and looking for any solutions.
I bought my RX in LA on August and found the gap between the front bumper and car because people set up the bumper wrong and damage the clicker inside the bumper. i call the seller and he said it is not under the warranty but the mechanic told me it should under the warranty later. At that time, i need to go to sacramento to study and LA dealer suggest me to fix my car in sacramento dealer. when i ask sacramento dealer to fix the clicker, they said it has recalled for the clicker before, but my car is not under the warranty. they suggest me to ask the LA dearler to fix the problem. So i call the LA dealer, they said they need to see the car and they don't want to fix for me because once i bought the car, they should not be responsibility for it. i said i have asked you whether the car has any problem before i bought it and you said no. Right now, the mechanic showed that it is because the previous set up mistake and LA dealer said the car is from other dealer and they only sell it to me and the customer should be responsible for the car problem. I decide to take the car to LA and let them check it. do you have any suggestion once they deny to fix it?
Old 12-18-13, 05:53 PM
michaelcao
Driver School Candidate

thank you KITLZ.
the dealer just told me the oil change for each 10,000 miles rather than 5,000 miles, which really confused me.
Do you have any suggestion for my bumper's clicker? i have post it on the reply to RX330inFL..
also thank you for applaud my decision. here is why i choose rx
1. suv is more safety than sedan when you have an accident in motorway.
2.suv has better visual field. i drove a sedan before and i need to see through the front suv's window to find the road in the motorway.
3. i want a luxury suv but don't want to spend more on the car. so european car has left and only lexus, acura and infinite has stayed. i like the rx's steering wheel better than acura's mdx and infinite's fx.
finally, i like the lexus brand and rx is the cheapest SUV.

Last edited by michaelcao; 12-18-13 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 06:04 PM
michaelcao
Driver School Candidate

hi sevn86
i think my car has same option as you, premium, comfort and tow prep package, navigation, back camera, 30% tint window. i also ordered the customizer plate from CA DMV, but they are really slow. i have waited for 50 days. i plan to put some car sticker outside of my car, and do you think it will damage my car painting when I tear it off?

Last edited by michaelcao; 12-18-13 at 06:22 PM. Reason: want to type more words
Old 12-18-13, 06:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Do you mean "Toyota Express Lube" as a motor shop which is professional for toyota and lexus?
These are at the Toyota dealerships and not a separate or independent shop. They allocate a few bays for oil changes and such and it designed to get you in and out under an hour, usually in thirty minutes.

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/dealers/service

As for the shop you found the only way to know the answers to your questions is to give them a call or give them a visit.

Regarding the clicker, if the dealers are pointing to each other you might want to call Lexus Customer Service and see what they can do for you.
Old 12-18-13, 07:26 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

thank you KITLZ.
the dealer just told me the oil change for each 10,000 miles rather than 5,000 miles, which really confused me.
Do you have any suggestion for my bumper's clicker? i have post it on the reply to RX330inFL..
Your dealer is correct. The oil change is every 10,000 miles, not 5,000 miles. Lexus updated their maintenance schedule mid model year for the 2010 RX. Check your owners manuals for the booklet called "Updated Maintenance Requirements." Service is still recommended every 5,000 miles. Any Toyota dealer can perform it for you. And yes, they will use synthetic. It may just cost a few dollars more but still less than Lexus.

I'm not sure what you mean by clicker. Maybe you can post a picture? There was a bumper gap issue on Canadian built RXs (VINs starting with 2T). Here is the thread on it. The fix was to change clips or even replace the bumper in some cases. Again, I would recommend registering on Lexus.com to check what work was performed by the Lexus dealer(s). You should be able to get your RX fixed if you can find something in writing from the dealer that shows the problem existed when you purchased it. Or if it was reported to a dealer while the vehicle was still under warranty. The other choice like RX330inFL said is to call Lexus Corporate. Going back and forth between dealers is not right.

Quick Reply: Brand for air filter. Fuel additive?