RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

F-sport advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 02:22 PM
Holt2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-sport advice needed

Hi All,
We are long time RX fans and currently have a 2004 RX330. We are thinking of adding another RX to the stable and were looking at the F-sport RX to have something different. How different does the F-sport handle vs. the regular RX? Also, are the seats more contouring? Hard to tell from our shorter drives, but wanted F-sports folks to weigh in after miles of use!

Other cars we are considering are the Q5, X5 and Cayenne. The Q5 and X5 reliability scares us. We really liked the Cayenne as it was super lux on the inside and handled like a dream, but about a 15-20K premium and high costs out of warranty. Did anyone else consider the Cayenne as well?

Thanks all!
Old 12-07-13, 05:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I owned both an 04 RX330 "Sport" with the height adjustable air suspension and an 07 RXh. Both had the 18in wheels/tires. Loved the first and that's why I got the second, and now the third! I never considered the Germans for the same reasons as you, but admittedly, Porsche quality/reliability is very close to Lexus nowadays. With over 1 year of RX F-Sport ownership, here is my evaluation.

NVH (quietness): RX F-Sport takes the nod. It is a little more quiet and solid feeling than Gen 2. One exception is the RX 400h was library quiet at low city speeds running on EV mode only.

Suspension Comfort: Gen 2 RX takes the nod. In fact it is significantly cushier than the F-Sport, like slicing through soft butter over bumps and road imperfections. I do miss this luxurious ride quality and the the F-Sport in contrast is "sports sedan" firm but not harsh.

Seats/Interior Comfort: About equal. The Gen 2's seats were a touch more comfy as I recall the leather being a little softer but offered a little less lateral support than the F-Sport seats. The RX F-Sport seats would benefit from more lateral support to suit it's sportier handling. Except for the white perforation and stitching, they are no different than the stock Gen 3 RX perforated leather seats.

Handling/Body roll: RX F-Sport takes the nod. This is by far. Body roll has been drastically reduced compared to Gen 2. No longer do you feel like you're cornering on jello stilts, but more like a train on rails. Turn in is also much crisper and more responsive, and executing a sharp high-speed emergency maneuver feels extremely well planted on the F-Sport. Gen 2 RX, well, jello-like exhibiting those secondary unsettling "wabbly" motions. With the F-Sport, I discovered SUVs can be nearly as fun as a sport sedan like my new IS. In fact, I often seek the longer curvier route to enjoy both my F-Sports

Overall, if you can afford the Cayenne, and you value best in class performance (acceleration/handling) at the expense of a harsher noisier ride, this is the one for you. But if you still want some ride comfort with a solid dose of flat cornering and sporty handling, especially coming from a Gen 2 RX, the RX F-Sport is for you. Good luck and keep us posted even if you buy the competition.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 12-07-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 06:40 PM
Holt2008
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the thorough response, very much appreciated. Am hoping to do some extended test drives before the holidays. S
Old 12-08-13, 07:35 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also owned an 04 RX.

The 04 RX is comfier but as corradomr2 said, it felt like it was going to topple over when going around bends. The F Sport is much better and stays pretty much flat when cornering.

I also considered a Cayenne but in the end went for the RX for 2 reasons. The cayenne rides like a Porsche in typical fashion, rock hard! It soon got boring after a while simply because it felt too firm. Personally I think the F Sport has the better balance between comfort and handling.

I also wasnt a fan of the cayenne's looks to be honest. I felt like a lot of things had been skimped out and a fully loaded Cayenne V6 - which is actually slower than the RX450h would have cost me in excess of £60k like for like with no discounts. The RX weighed in at £54k and I managed to get n 8% discount with some free accessories put in.

The Porsche sales team were pants too, had no idea what they were doing and really pushy.
Old 12-08-13, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Holt2008
Hi All,
Other cars we are considering are the Q5, X5 and Cayenne. The Q5 and X5 reliability scares us. We really liked the Cayenne as it was super lux on the inside and handled like a dream, but about a 15-20K premium and high costs out of warranty. Did anyone else consider the Cayenne as well?
Don't own an RX, but I've driven a lot of them and have driven everything in this segment recently in an effort to replace our Jeep. Thought you might appreciate an unbiased view point since I don't have an RX.

The other vehicles you mention, the Q5, X5 & Cayenne are WAY out of the RX's league, F-Sport or not...especially the X5 and Cayenne. They're just entirely different vehicles designed for different purposes. The RX cannot begin to compare with the driving dynamics or quality of the X5 or Cayenne, nor can it begin to compare to the zippy fun to drive nature of the Q5. The F-Sport is just a minor appearance and handling package which IMHO does little to hide the fact that the RX is FWD, or front biased AWD, not especially rigid or solid handling, a vehicle that is made for transporting people in comfort not for enjoying driving. In short, the RX is not a handling car by any stretch of the imagination.

Not to fault the RX, but its more like a Highlander or a Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX than anything like an X5 or Cayenne.

Now, aside from the Q5, these other two vehicles are going to cost more than the RX, but if you want something different they are going to be different...an F-Sport RX is still an RX, just with a hard ride without any real handling benefit (many auto reviewers agree). The Cayenne is special, I agree, but personally if I were going to spend around $60k on a sporty SUV I would probably buy the new X5. VERY sharp.

Now, reliability. If you're going to keep the thing 10 years as you did your RX330, thats something to think about. BUT, if you want a great handling sport SUV being reliable doesn't change the fact that the RX is absolutely not either of those things. Have you looked at an Infiniti FX/QX70? A little long in the tooth but Japanese reliability with rear biased AWD and good handling.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-08-13 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 03:45 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Couldn't agree more with the above assessment, it is spot on! The f sport has gotten pretty damned by the auto press and some users as well. The rap is that they took a good value luxury comfortable SUV and gave it an uncomfortable suspension. I just traded my 2005 rx330 for a 2011 rx350. It is a much different driving vehicle, higher and bigger feeling and a bit more trucky feeling. Comfortable and very quiet but definitely not a handler. I like you don't trust the reliability of bmw or audi. The value equation bothers me as well. I bought the 2011 CPO with 32,000 miles in perfect shape for $32,000. I had an x5 as a rental earlier this year and it was really great to drive, loved it, but not willing to pay the price. The audi I test drove three years ago and it drove like a sports car but terrible value equation at almost $50,000 and small. The Lexus is what it is and really good value compared to all the vehicles you spoke of but definitely not a sporty SUV. There are lots of 2011 coming off lease that you can buy for half the price of a new x5, still almost identical to a new one. The new Acura mdx has gotten great reviews as well, brand new model and much nicer than the last model in and out and more fuel efficient. If you want something sporty in an SUV I would not go with the Lexus f series, I would go test drive the models you mentioned and to hell with cost, reliability and the value proposition! Good luck, take your time and enjoy the hunt. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-08-13, 03:51 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My only attraction to the F-Sport was the 8 speed transmission and better top end fuel economy. The suspension and stitched seams on the seats were turn offs. The dealers we visited all talked us out of test driving.
Old 12-08-13, 04:05 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tom558
My only attraction to the F-Sport was the 8 speed transmission and better top end fuel economy. The suspension and stitched seams on the seats were turn offs. The dealers we visited all talked us out of test driving.
Why would they talk you out of a test drive? That seems strange. Won't sell too many that way. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 12-08-13, 04:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Have you considered a 450H? It certainly qualifies as being different. I also came from an '04 and was set to get the 350 until I drove the RXh. It has 295 HP, 25 more than the 350. I believe steering is a bit more firmer and responsive. Plus it offers a few extra features and options. The 3rd gen overall has a more cavernous feel so it's not as cozy as the 330. The seats can be adjusted in numerous ways though.
Old 12-08-13, 06:25 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i agree with most of the statements above.
in a nutshell

IS 350 and IS F = Huge difference ( put any other Lexus with an F series here)
RX 350 and RX 350 F Sport = mostly cosmetic, 8 speed tranny and a stiffer ride.
Old 12-08-13, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by markrivers
i agree with most of the statements above.
in a nutshell

IS 350 and IS F = Huge difference ( put any other Lexus with an F series here)
RX 350 and RX 350 F Sport = mostly cosmetic, 8 speed tranny and a stiffer ride.
The IS F is a whole nother animal. "F Sport" and "F" are two different things. Better comparison is the IS F Sport. At least there you have what is already a great sport sedan made better.
Old 12-09-13, 08:35 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The reviewers are talking out of their backsides. Seriously drive an RX and an RX F Sport back to back and youll see the difference. The dampers do make a big difference and the car certainly feels better than a cayenne simply because of the balance and also because my wife doesnt complain about getting back ache all the time.
Old 12-09-13, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayaans
The reviewers are talking out of their backsides. Seriously drive an RX and an RX F Sport back to back and youll see the difference. The dampers do make a big difference and the car certainly feels better than a cayenne simply because of the balance and also because my wife doesnt complain about getting back ache all the time.
I have driven them back to back, and my conclusion was the same as the reviewers. The F Sport is "firmer" but that "firmness" doesn't translate into any sort of improved handling or agility because the vehicle is a front heavy, loose chassis FWD vehicle at its core. Putting any sort of handling package on such a vehicle pays penalties with ride but doesn't pay you any dividends with performance. The F Sport is MUCH better looking, but thats the only reason I would consider one over an ordinary RX.

Bear in mind that every review of the RX F Sport comes to the same conclusion. Everyone is just "talking outside of their backsides"? I don't think so. I understand you have one and it works for you, but it is what it is.

If you say the RX F Sport "feels better" than a Cayenne...you just aren't a consumer who appreciates what makes something like a Cayenne so special. Theres nothing wrong with that, some people don't see a difference between Kobe beef and USDA prime...but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference. The Cayenne will absolutely run circles around an RX, its much more neutral, it feels like a small sport sedan. Its beautifully crafted inside and out, is unusual while the RX is ubiquitous. The Cayenne is simply in another league.

Now, I didn't buy a Cayenne just because its not the sort of vehicle that fits the framework of what we want/need and are willing to pay...but I can still appreciate it for what it is.

A vehicle that is a better middle of the road option is an X5, or even a Q5. But, there is nothing "sporty" about an RX, F Sport or not.
Old 12-09-13, 02:21 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

RX F Sport has another big advantage over the regular RX - it features a more sophisticated stability control system VDIM, instead of 2 separate systems, VSC and Trac.

Although I can appreciate RWD-biased SUVs, at the end of the day, that's what they really are, big, tall, heavy machines. They are easily out-handled by smaller, passenger vehicles. That was a key element for me, choosing an RX450h over its German competition. That, and reliability. It's a family vehicle, so it cannot spend any time in the shop being fixed. And I get to have my manual RWD IS300 as a fun-packed DD.
Old 12-09-13, 05:48 PM
ngerstman
Rookie

It could also depend where you live. I would think that the f sport rx would rattle the fillings out of my teeth here in NJ. If you live in a more moderate climate not so much. Handling is not just based on a firmer suspension, there are many others factors at work. So I doubt that you can just firm up the suspension a bit and call it a performance vehicle. I doubt that the chassis on the rx is any where near as firm as on an x5 for example. I rented the x5 on vacation a few months ago and it handled like an animal for something that big and heavy. I don't expect that out of the rx and that is ok with me. It is what it is and I like it! A comfortable luxury reliable good value proposition SUV. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Quick Reply: F-sport advice needed