RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who Changes Their Own Oil/Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 02:58 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mobil-1 Walmart ($25) , Sewell parts oil filter ( $3.50) .
Old 06-15-14, 08:52 AM
LeUsX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always changed my own oil. Save $$ and you know it's being done.
Old 06-15-14, 01:23 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LeUsX
Have you ever suspected a Lexus dealer or any shop of penciling the oil change? Just curious.
Ray A.
Old 06-15-14, 05:19 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeUsX
You know it is being done right.

If I take my car to the dealer for just an oil and filter change, I have to wait maybe an hour. I still have to drive there. The last time I went to Lube Oil, I vowed never to return. Did not like the place.

I also take pride in working on all of my cars. I can not do any heavy or complicated work but I know how it is done. It helps when you take the car in. When I take my car in, I ask the shop to save the parts that were taken out. I want to examine it and also to make sure that they took it out. I also bring my own parts to them if it is an independent shop.
Old 06-15-14, 07:53 PM
jnovak01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 RX's and one Sienna, one Motorcycle, and one diesel tractor. I do all oil changes myself. I know they are done correctly and with the correct oil - usually purchased at Wally-World in bulk. I have been burned too many times and can't stand paying for something I did not get or being ripped off. "Gee Sir, We thought you wanted the dino oil and not synthetic, We can certainly do it again with synthetic for half price, but our policy is no refunds"

Plus spending my time at a dealership with a fuzzy TV, bad coffee and Oprah re-runs isn't my idea of fun. I purchase the filters from Sewell as my Sienna takes the same filter/tool for the cartridge/and Assenmacher funnel as the newer RX.
Old 06-16-14, 01:33 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just rack up some Lexus $$$'s on my Lexus credit card and let the dealership do the work ... the Lexus points have covered all my service on the RX. Same with my Subaru using the Subaru credit card which is a really exceptional deal compared to Lexus.
Old 06-16-14, 08:06 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just go to the dealer, I usually factor in a dealer maintenance package, both my RX and LX are covered until 100,000 miles. When I negotiate the price I negotiate the maintenance with it. Also going to the dealer saves me the headache of doing it myself, since I'm working almost all the time. I know with my work schedule if I serviced my cars myself they would never be serviced because I would have to keep putting it off due to work, but with getting it done at dealer gives me a set time and date so I can free up my schedule. To each his own I guess...
Old 06-23-14, 09:21 PM
RX350alan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone out there that doesn't make its own oil change? Is safer and cheaper.
Old 06-24-14, 09:45 AM
hlu
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Give it a thoughts --

1. You can do a better job than dealer. Dealer even forgot to reset mileage when they did to my 2012 RX.
2. Dealer over-tight some lug-nuts on tire rotation. You can use torque wrench to make it right.
3. I doubt most dealers follow the maintenance manual to blow cleaning air filter etc. Mine did not. You can do this for yourself or just replace new air or cabinet filter.
4. $ vs $$$
5. I enjoy doing it. Do you?
Old 08-12-17, 12:12 PM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my question. I did the 30k Oil change. Problem is, I drained the oil, then went for the filter. I couldn't get that filter housing off. Had a cheaper cup wrench and was afraid that it would round off. I used a 2' breaker bar!! How Fing tight do these guys put these things on?!! I'll order a special tool. In the mean time, I had to put the oil in it to use the car. Later on, can I get away with draining the filter housing and change the filter and only loose what was in the housing or will I loose allot more??
Old 08-13-17, 09:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

You will only lose about a pint in the filter housing. I suggest you check a youtube video for a Toyota Camry oil change to see how the filter comes apart. There is a special 64 mm wrench for the filter housing. look for the Assenmacher TOY 640.
Old 08-13-17, 10:00 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

X2

​​​​​
Yes, as I recall the very first time it was difficult. Make sure to get a high quality oil cap wrench that is the correct size. And turn COUNTERCLOCKWISE!!! You will also need that breaker bar. Make sure to wear good thick gloves so you don't scrape your knockles out when it finally releases.

THERE'S S end cap to release some oil out on the oil housing (there should be a metal cap you screw out then insert the plastic tool supplied with the new oil filter. Just push the plastic tool in to release the trapped oil inside the oil filter housing ). And to make sure the oil fill cap on top of the engine is open and removed to release any pressure present.

Subsequent oil changes should be a piece of cake!!!

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You will only lose about a pint in the filter housing. I suggest you check a youtube video for a Toyota Camry oil change to see how the filter comes apart. There is a special 64 mm wrench for the filter housing. look for the Assenmacher TOY 640.
Old 08-13-17, 02:50 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone suck the oil out through the dipstick tube? I know folks with german vehicles who do this and no need to get under the car and open any drain plug. Just wanted to see if this was an alternative with the RX. Have a 2012 RX 450h myself. TIA
Old 08-13-17, 03:53 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

On some German cars, folks CAN NOT undo drain plug as it is locked and only dealer has key. And oil change is $1200. No, I did not mistype. $1200/60 000 miles.
Old 08-13-17, 03:58 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I do ALL of my maintenance. As some said, I do it right. Also, far as I know, stripped drain plugs cost mucho mucho dinero to replace oil pan and it's never their mistake. Also, while I'm down there, I bond with my car. I check on everything, tug things, take pry bar to them. I just did ATF drain on our RX350 and found that bumper cover skirt was partially ripped off by backing off the curb, likely. So fixed that and improved.
How this is a headache? It's pleasure and cars feel good attitude. Instead of going to dealer and ending with litany of "recommended" replacements. I have plenty of that with my inlaw, who has "that oil deal". Every iffing time it's 500-700 bucks worth list and none of it needs to be done.

Quick Reply: Who Changes Their Own Oil/Filter?