Club Lexus Forums

Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - Third Generation (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation-212/)
-   -   Does Bluetooth version matter? (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation/719319-does-bluetooth-version-matter.html)

mshumack 11-27-13 11:14 AM

Does Bluetooth version matter?
 
I want to purchase a new Bluetooth phone for my wife that will work with all the features in the 2014 RX350. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with.

Does the version of Bluetooth matter? I see some discounted phones are on version 3.0 and I think the latest version is 4.0.

Also, is Siri an "iPhone" only feature or will that work with an Andriod (Samsung Gallaxy) phone too?

It is hard to try to find a decent phone with a reasonably priced, no-contract, plan (reasonable is under $45/month). I am looking at T-Mobile plan, Virgin, and StraightTalk.
The T-Mobile plan requires an "unlocked" GSM phone (and I don't think iPhone is availble as unlocked, I don't know if is GSM or not). The StarightTalk plan seems reasonable (price wise) but the reviews at Walmart have not been very favorable. All the big name cell phone providers (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) plans start at $70+/month. My wife doesn't use the phone enough to justify that pricing.

If anyone has been through this before and have any advice - please let me know.
Thanks

DunWkg 11-27-13 12:11 PM

Check here
http://www.lexus.com/bluetooth/

Launch the Lexus Mobile Link Tool

mshumack 11-27-13 12:20 PM

Thanks. At the bottom of the page you provided is a link "Lexus Mobile Link" where you can enter different phone models and it will tell you what features are compatable or not. Nice.

nmtomcat 11-27-13 12:55 PM

I use an old, cheap LG phone with my 2013 Lexus RX, and it works great. The plan is with Tracfone and does not have a set fee per month - only pay for the minutes you want. Several phones come with double or triple minutes for life.

mshumack 11-27-13 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshumack (Post 8256730)
Thanks. At the bottom of the page you provided is a link "Lexus Mobile Link" where you can enter different phone models and it will tell you what features are compatable or not. Nice.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. The Lexus/Mobile link/site is not as useful as I 'd hoped. All of the iPhones (4 and newer) show as "not yet tested", and the newer Android phones (like Samsung Galaxy II and newer) don't show as supporting all the features. In fact, the older phones support more features - if that can be believed.

So with no info on the iPhone, the safest phone (if I want confirmation that the max number of features to work) is the Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note II. But I have to give credit to Lexus for at least having the site.

BadBrit 11-27-13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshumack (Post 8256902)
The Lexus/Mobile link/site is not as useful as I 'd hoped. All of the iPhones (4 and newer) show as "not yet tested", and the newer Android phones (like Samsung Galaxy II and newer) don't show as supporting all the features. In fact, the older phones support more features - if that can be believed.

I went to the Lexus Bluetooth site http://www.lexus.com/bluetooth/ to view pairing instructions and a list of features compatible with my Lexus and iPhone. I was able to select my model and year Lexus (2010 RX 350) then carrier (Verizon), manufacturer (Apple), and model (4s), and up popped all the features that my Lexus/iPhone supports along with pairing instructions. I did not see the "not yet tested" message. Are we talking about the same site?

Best

RX330inFL 11-27-13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshumack (Post 8256629)
Also, is Siri an "iPhone" only feature or will that work with an Andriod (Samsung Gallaxy) phone too?

Siri is for Apple products only. If you do not have an Apple phone which supports this feature it goes unused.

For a better idea of what will and will not work for you, take some time to connect with the Lexus Technology Specialist at your local dealership. You can run your needs past them for feedback on what you should and should not purchase.

mshumack 11-27-13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBrit (Post 8257022)
I went to the Lexus Bluetooth site http://www.lexus.com/bluetooth/ to view pairing instructions and a list of features compatible with my Lexus and iPhone. I was able to select my model and year Lexus (2010 RX 350) then carrier (Verizon), manufacturer (Apple), and model (4s), and up popped all the features that my Lexus/iPhone supports along with pairing instructions. I did not see the "not yet tested" message. Are we talking about the same site?

Best

Look at the Tab for "Enform" and "RES", every feature has the "?". Also, I put in 2014 RX350 w/Nav, so maybe that brings up different results.

BertL 11-28-13 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshumack (Post 8257298)
Look at the Tab for "Enform" and "RES", every feature has the "?". Also, I put in 2014 RX350 w/Nav, so maybe that brings up different results.

IMHO, the website lags availability of new MY Lexi, and of course no auto mfgr could keep up with what all the cell phone carriers and phone mfgrs do -- too many combinations and no advance knowledge of what other companies are doing beyond their control...but I will agree that Lexus isn't the speediest updating the site with new combinations as they become available.

So, with that said, my suggestion to the OP is use a "2013 w/ Nav" on the website and you are probably safe assuming that any follow-on model phone from the same carrier (like iPhone 5 in lieu of say iPhone 4S in the online tool) will provide equal or improved availability of features. The main difference in the 2014 RX we are aware of from reports through this forum is Siri Eyes Free that of course is only available for Siri-enabled iPhone models -- not Android or others. In the end, if it's a deal breaker for you, many places where you buy your cell phone have a return policy (like Apple does, e.g. ;)) so you could buy a phone and try it, then return if it does not meet your expectations with the features you require, OR you could perhaps try contacting your Technology Specialist at your local dealership and see if they have practical experience from other customers of their with the combination you're after -- I think that's a bit of a crap shoot myself for the reasons I cited at the outset.

Good luck.

HTaylor913 11-29-13 08:30 AM

The 2014 Lexus RX models are all compatible with "SIRI EYES FREE." The RX is only one of a very few Lexus models where SIRI is integrated. I have the new 2014 RX 350 and my phone is the Verizon based iPhone 4S running OS 7.04. Siri works very well (My 2011 could not call out using SIRI) with the 2014, virtually anything I can do with Siri from the phone will work through the car. Call home, what's the weather in London, what was the Giant's score, etc. For me, the combination of Apple and the RX works very well. And it's getting better. Future Hondas will be "mirroring" the iPhone by placing mini iPads in the dash and your being able to use all your phone apps onscreen. This is a future trend for all automakers.

mshumack 11-29-13 08:49 AM

Thanks for the info.
I just bought an "unlocked" iPhone 4S for my wife. Boy these phones are expensive ( I suppose they are mini-computers now, not just phones).
By going unlocked I can shop around for a "no contract" plan and switch around as often as I want. Now I'm looking for the lowest monthly rate for my wife's phone, since she is not a heavy user and neither of us text or do much internet surfing on a phone.
Maybe StraightTalk or T-Mobile. I assume the carrier doesn't matter - as long as the phone works, the RX won't care whose service it is.

HTaylor913 11-29-13 08:59 AM

Hahah. Your iPhone 4S has far greater computing power than the Apollo 11 command module.

DunWkg 11-29-13 09:14 AM

Quote:

...neither of us text or do much internet surfing on a phone
uhhhh..that's gonna change.....

mshumack 11-29-13 09:39 AM

:eek2:
I really want her to have the Siri feature and be able to talk to her family via the hands free ability.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved