RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Guidelines on Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 07:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My RX does not have the guidelines. I asked our salesman, and he said no, it's not a setting to be turned on. The RX simply does not have the lines. It's disappointing. My IS has them, and I find them to be very useful.
Old 11-22-13, 07:27 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are no guidelines here in the US on what most people discuss as the rear view camera that presents itself on the larger Nav screen (for users with the Lexus Display Audio System or Nav). The subject of guidelines has been discussed and debated in many other threads in the past. However, if you take a look in the Owner's Manual, it shows a picture WITH GUIDELINES for the rear-view monitor option that is built into the rear-view mirror and describes that feature starting around p320 of the 2013 user manual... I've never seen one of those or remember anyone on this forum ever saying they had it, so cannot comment further if it's really available here in the US or not given the way Lexus NA tends to build and promote options and packages.
Old 11-22-13, 01:22 PM
coachlkg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 does not have guidelines. Not a problem for me.
Old 11-22-13, 01:47 PM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by Poisson
They've always had the guidelines here in Australia, and they do curve when you turn the wheel. Is it just the States that are missing out?

By the way I tested a BMW X3 - the guidelines on that one are superb. Better even than Lexus. Shame about the jittery ride.
So you're saying the 2013 450h (with navigation) has the guidelines in Aussie? I wonder why not in US then. Is there anything else different between the US and AUS?
Maybe its just a Navigation system firmware difference (that one could obtain if really wanted).
Old 11-22-13, 01:55 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 2014 honda accord and civic has backup guidelines
the 2014 rx and etc do not...

very confusing to customers IMO
Old 11-22-13, 02:01 PM
Kyrra
Driver School Candidate

Guidelines have been sorta interesting I think. When test driving cars that had they I thought it was pretty nice. Some cars have guide lines that will bend when you turn the steering wheel (like the Acura MDX). Other cars just have solid lines that don't turn. I believe the Santa Fe used to have bending lines but they got rid of them.

The 2013 Rav4 has lines on its camera, so Toyota definitely has the tech, they just haven't put it on the RX yet. But at the same time, the RX has parking sensors on the front and back, which I think can be better in certain cases than a backup camera with lines.
Old 11-22-13, 07:41 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting that the Toyota Sienna also has the guidelines with navigation! In addition, every button in the overhead console is illuminated on the Sienna - another Lexus pet peeve of mine.....

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Pt Charlotte, FL
Old 11-22-13, 11:20 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
a 2014 honda accord and civic has backup guidelines
the 2014 rx and etc do not...

very confusing to customers IMO
My 2013 honda civic has guidelines.
While my RAV4 EV and RX350 don't have it
I find it funny that a small car like the civic have a BETTER back up camera system,
considering its size, i question the need of s back up camera.
Old 11-23-13, 03:54 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mshumack
So you're saying the 2013 450h (with navigation) has the guidelines in Aussie? I wonder why not in US then. Is there anything else different between the US and AUS?
Maybe its just a Navigation system firmware difference (that one could obtain if really wanted).
Yes, we have guidelines on the Australian RX450h 2013 model. All RXs in Oz have navigation and the rear camera displays on the navigation screen (not in the mirror).

There seem to be a few things you get that we don't such as the remote assistance (just starting to become available on the new IS), and remote engine start. The RX here is sold in three grades - Luxury, F-Sport and Sports Luxury. The F-Sport seems to be mainly black leather and body kit, while the Sports Luxury is pretty well fully loaded. We also have the RX270 which is a four cylinder two-wheel drive entry model.
Old 11-23-13, 06:06 AM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default No Mirror Guidelines with Nav

Originally Posted by BertL
There are no guidelines here in the US on what most people discuss as the rear view camera that presents itself on the larger Nav screen (for users with the Lexus Display Audio System or Nav). The subject of guidelines has been discussed and debated in many other threads in the past. However, if you take a look in the Owner's Manual, it shows a picture WITH GUIDELINES for the rear-view monitor option that is built into the rear-view mirror and describes that feature starting around p320 of the 2013 user manual... I've never seen one of those or remember anyone on this forum ever saying they had it, so cannot comment further if it's really available here in the US or not given the way Lexus NA tends to build and promote options and packages.
I asked the Sales manager about the Mirror Guidelines and he told me that option was not available on cars equipped with NAV. It makes no sense and I don't know if it is true or not. I have a disability that keeps me from looking backward to align my backing up. The camera isn't that accurate.

I traded a 2007 RX, with all the bells and whistles for a 2014 RX and I am very disappointed with the new one. It has been "cheapened" down and it shows. The seats aren't as comfortable. I lost a ton of storage space in the console, door pockets and rear area (now contains a temp spare tire). I really miss my Mark Levinson sound system. I have NAV, camera, heated/cooled seats, etc, but I had those before. I have "load-leveling" HID headlights, but they are not "Road Following," like in my 2007.

My friend's 2014 Ford Edge has a lot more advanced electronics than my RX, at a lot less cost. Lexus has really disappointed me by giving me less car for more money. I suspect I won't keep this car very long... I may dump it before it's first service, at 5,000 miles.
Old 11-23-13, 07:04 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My friend's 2014 Ford Edge has a lot more advanced electronics than my RX, at a lot less cost. Lexus has really disappointed me by giving me less car for more money. I suspect I won't keep this car very long... I may dump it before it's first service, at 5,000 miles.
These feelings will be echoed by others and sales will drop and that will be a language Lexus can understand, but too late.
Old 11-23-13, 07:43 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mshumack
Well, yea. The steering wheel is on the other side.
Ray
Old 11-23-13, 07:57 AM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by raylor4
Well, yea. The steering wheel is on the other side.
Ray
Why would that matter to the backup camera screen. You turn the wheel right or left, and steering wheel position senor/indicator sends signal (which then changes guideline position overlay) to the backup camera screen.

EDIT:
LOL - Oh, you mean "about what other differences are there between US and AUS cars".
Old 11-24-13, 05:19 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who me...there are 2 types of camera displays available in the RX - if you do not buy navigation and want only the camera display you get a small picture (about 3 inches square) in the rearview mirror, otherwise its a 7" screen on the navigation display. The Mark Levinson sound system is available on the new RX but as I understand not many USA dealers will order it for stock vehicles. I had it in my 2008 and have it in my 2013 and love it! I insisted on having the Blind Spot Monitoring system so I had to wait 3 months because it was not going to be available until August 2012!

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 11-24-13, 06:15 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently had a 2014 IS loaner. It had guidelines, but they don't curve with the vehicle when turning. Strange how the IS and RX are on the same gen nav system yet one had and the other doesn't. Both are equipped with nav. I guess the good thing is Lexus is catching up at least newer models have backup lines, front and rear parking sonars, and power foldable mirrors. Items expected on a "premium car" to bad they also dropped bi-xenon lights, auto high beam, and corning lamps. Kind of strange since mainline manufacturers like Jeep and even Kia have added these to their cars yet Lexus decided to remove them. While at they should add corning fog lamps.

Quick Reply: Guidelines on Reverse Camera