RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

dealer installed options?

Old 11-20-13, 10:13 AM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer installed options?

I am working on a deal for a 2014 Rx and the dealer said he will do the window tint for $299 and the door edge cup guards for $295 and life time nitrogen for $99.95. He also has an environmental protection package for $599. (Anyone have any idea what the heck that is?) So are any of these worth having the dealer do or is it better to have it done somewhere else?

Thanks!

Ellen
Old 11-20-13, 10:22 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Window tint should be about $200 at an independent shop, but varies depending on the "quality" of the tint material used. The rest is just stuff you truly DO NOT NEED. I would recommend saving that $1200 and then finding your own tint shop after you buy.
Old 11-20-13, 10:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I imagine in a place like FL there are plenty of places that can do the tint. I'd call a few of them to get estimates and see if it's in line. One note, the benefit with the dealer is they'll guarantee the work. And it's convenient. When you say door edge cup guards I assume you're talking about these. When you set up an account with Sewell, the price drops to $69.54. Save yourself $225 and install them yourself. Environmental protection package probably has something to do with the paint. I'd steer away from having them apply anything. You can buy products from CL vendors here to protect the paint for far less. It would require some time and effort on your part but I think you'll be very satisfied with the results. Take a look at our Automotive Care & Detailing Forum for suggestions. Warning, you might develop OCD
Old 11-20-13, 01:29 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I would steer away from any add-ons the finance guy offers. There's usually a hefty mark-up on services they source somewhere else. And typically you don't need them to begin with.
Old 11-20-13, 01:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Agree with the others that you should pass on all offers for now. As for tint, try looking for a local Formula One window tint shop, for example, to see what they can do for you.

http://www.formulaone.com/en/FindADealer.aspx

3M is another you can search as well as you might consider having some protective film installed to protect the paint on the front from all the bugs we have down here amongst other dangers to the paint.
Old 11-20-13, 02:00 PM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks for all your advise.

Old 11-20-13, 03:03 PM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquafit2
I am working on a deal for a 2014 Rx and the dealer said he will do the window tint for $299 and the door edge cup guards for $295 and life time nitrogen for $99.95. He also has an environmental protection package for $599. (Anyone have any idea what the heck that is?) So are any of these worth having the dealer do or is it better to have it done somewhere else?

Thanks!

Ellen
When I purchased my RX 3 weeks ago in south Florida, the dealer had all their inventory tinted (front side windows). I have never had these windows tinted in past autos, and think they are really not necessary. I got door edge guards at a much lower price. I feel the nitrogen and environmental protection package is a total waste of money. (Just my 2 cents!!) The price on those options are totally overpriced.
Old 11-20-13, 03:14 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i purchased a pre-owned off lease 2010 RX last month. I got a ridiculous quote to add on Lexus mud guards, side trim molding and door edge guards.
I ended up finding these OEM options from Lexus dealers cheap on ebay. Installation took no more than 2 hours combined with the mud guards and door edge guards while taking my time and having a beer. I will take the time to do my side trim molding when the weather gets warmer or if I am inclined in the garage because I want to ensure the adhesive sticks and everything on straight and level.
Old 11-20-13, 03:21 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My experience with nitrogen is that it is not worth it. My nitrogen filled tires gain and loose pressure with temperature changes identical to regular air. I keep my tires at the proper pressure and check them every week or two. Let me repeat this... Nitrogen gains and looses pressure with temperature changes exactly the same as regular air does.

In my case the dealer had pre-filled the tires with nitrogen and will refill them for free but my dealer is 30 minutes away. I'm not about to drive 30 minutes to fill the tires whenever the temperature drops. I will continue to use my compressor to maintain my air pressure. Regular air contains 78% nitrogen anyway.

Bottom line, you would be much further ahead to spend the money on a compressor and just check your tires regularly. Nitrogen is no panacea.
Old 11-20-13, 03:28 PM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

Gosh you all are so helpful!!

Thanks again!
Old 11-20-13, 10:20 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My experience with nitrogen is that it is not worth it. My nitrogen filled tires gain and loose pressure with temperature changes identical to regular air. I keep my tires at the proper pressure and check them every week or two. Let me repeat this... Nitrogen gains and looses pressure with temperature changes exactly the same as regular air does.

In my case the dealer had pre-filled the tires with nitrogen and will refill them for free but my dealer is 30 minutes away. I'm not about to drive 30 minutes to fill the tires whenever the temperature drops. I will continue to use my compressor to maintain my air pressure. Regular air contains 78% nitrogen anyway.

Bottom line, you would be much further ahead to spend the money on a compressor and just check your tires regularly. Nitrogen is no panacea.
Thanks for another opinion on the Nitrogen farce..sadly Costco still sells that scam with its delightfully ugly green caps!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-13, 05:13 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
Thanks for another opinion on the Nitrogen farce..sadly Costco still sells that scam with its delightfully ugly green caps!!!!!!!
Not sure I'd call nitrogen a farce as there are indeed some benefits of using nitrogen in tires. The scam part, if there is one, comes from the sales guy who makes all kinds of untrue claims about nitrogen.

Nitrogen is just not a tangible value to me. I get concerned when many of my friends have the impression that once they fill their tires with nitrogen they never need to check the tire pressure. If I had a free nitrogen station within a couple miles I'd likely continue to use it. It is not uncommon for me to see a 30-40 degree temperature drop in one day as a cold front comes through. That equates to 3-4 pounds of tire pressure lost which changes the handling characteristics of a vehicle quite noticeably.

Again, my point was not to knock nitrogen but to point out that, for many, a better alternative would be to spend your money on a good air compressor and check and adjust your tire pressure regularly.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-21-13 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 06:12 AM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is TPMS in the vehicle, is there a need to check pressure manually or is it reliable?
Old 11-21-13, 06:21 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab

The dealer probably doesnt have real nitrogen tanks for the fill, probably just an old air compressor with a "Nitrogen" sticker.

Nitrogen does work however, but i've only witnessed actual Indy, Indy Lights, and F1 pit crews use it in their paddocks. It is more stable to expansion with heat cycling but still needs to be monitored.

bottom line, there is no advantage to nitrogen fill for daily drivers.
Old 11-21-13, 07:36 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by elba123
If there is TPMS in the vehicle, is there a need to check pressure manually or is it reliable?
TPMS is mostly there to warn you if you are low on pressure in one or more tires. 350 does not tell you what the pressure is, and, although, 450h does, readings do not correlate to a specific tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dealer installed options?