RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

? about bluetooth connection to cell in 2013 RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 04:55 AM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ? about bluetooth connection to cell in 2013 RX

this is not a big deal but just wondered how the bluetooth connection decides which phone to connect to if both driver and passenger enter the vehicle at the same time.

Does the bluetooth just start the pairing mode and whichever one it pairs to first gets the prize or
is there some rhyme or reason to how it works.....like driver phone has preference?

thanks
Old 11-16-13, 05:48 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by drich2905
this is not a big deal but just wondered how the bluetooth connection decides which phone to connect to if both driver and passenger enter the vehicle at the same time.

Does the bluetooth just start the pairing mode and whichever one it pairs to first gets the prize or
is there some rhyme or reason to how it works.....like driver phone has preference?

thanks
I would like to know the answer to this question too. I first paired my phone to the car, and then my wife's phone. Now, when we both get in the car with both phones on, my phone is completely ignored and her's is connected. What's up with that? Shouldn't BOTH phones be able to use the BT if both are paired with it?
Old 11-16-13, 05:59 AM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It remembers the last user to be paired with the vehicle. It's also very easy to switch back & forth between users. Just hit menu...phone...connect phone...then you see a list of all the paired phones. Select the one you want.
Old 11-16-13, 08:00 AM
drich2905
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexipro
It remembers the last user to be paired with the vehicle. It's also very easy to switch back & forth between users. Just hit menu...phone...connect phone...then you see a list of all the paired phones. Select the one you want.

you may be correct but it sure seems that the car pairs with my phone a lot even though my wife is the primary driver. I may not even get in the car but once every couple of weeks and it still pairs with my phone.

I will have to check that out and get back to you.
Old 11-16-13, 03:02 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, that's most unfortunate. So Lexus essentially made ZERO changes in this area of BT functionality since 2007. While you may find it easy to switch between users, I find that doing that is cumbersome and irritating. We don't have NAV, so we can't "see" squat. All the BT shenanigans are done with voice commands or using the tuning **** of the radio--very ugly & messy. Deleting all the paired phones & devices from previous owners took about 1/2 hour.

As a retired software/firmware engineer, I fail to comprehend why the Lexus BT system works in a manner that is so antiquated & user-unfriendly. Makes no sense to me. I guess we'll have to live with it, just like the antiquated XM Radio display.
Old 11-16-13, 03:52 PM
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drich2905
you may be correct but it sure seems that the car pairs with my phone a lot even though my wife is the primary driver. I may not even get in the car but once every couple of weeks and it still pairs with my phone.

I will have to check that out and get back to you.
I stand corrected. My apologies I was wrong. It seems to work by the key fob that is recognized first. So the first to open the door wins the prize and their phone is paired.
Old 11-18-13, 04:49 AM
drich2905
Driver

I stand corrected. My apologies I was wrong. It seems to work by the key fob that is recognized first. So the first to open the door wins the prize and their phone is paired.
OK, I can "bite: on that explanation. I will have to check it out because my wife keeps her fob in her purse and when I drive her car I use the extra fob, so at times there are both fobs in the car at the same time.
We also occasionally get into the vehicle at the same time.

It will be interesting to figure out how the car deals with two fobs at one time
thanks for you reply
Old 11-18-13, 10:10 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

THIS! i think is the explanation vs the key FOB preference.
Since i always carry two phones (AT&T and Verizon) and a pager LOL!
the last phone paired gets priority. in this case, the AT&T.

Now there are times when i manually switch to the Verizon,and if i don't change it back,
the next morning i sit on the driver's seat, it's going to be the Verizon that is paired with the RX