RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 2013 CPO vs 2013 new

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 06:07 AM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 2013 CPO vs 2013 new

Hello , I'm new here and have been reading all your informative posts for a few days. I am looking at buying a 2013 rx350. I am set on white with a black interior and am having a hard time finding this combo. I did drive a white with parchment interior at my local dealership and I considered settling for it but the dealer wanted almost 44K for it. CPO, FWD, 6100 miles with nav, comf, prem w/blind spot mon. The dealer wouldn't even budge a penny off that price so I walked. I think you could almost get a brand new one for that price. Am I right? Also I'm curious where the dealers get these cars with such low miles? Do people really buy cars and only drive them 6000 miles and then trade them in?

Thanks for your help.

Ellen
Old 11-07-13, 07:02 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ellen, welcome to CL.

It's always a challenge waiting for the right combinations to pop up -- new, used, or CPO -- and once it does, then if the price is right for you is a whole other story as you've found. I'll let others chime in on pricing as they keep current more than I, and some love the whole negotiation process so can offer better advice than I can.

As to low mileage cars, it does happen for any variety of reasons -- I once saw a new model year BMW with 400 miles on it at a Lexus dealership. When I asked what was up with it, I was told the "teenage girl" that's dad purchased it for her didn't like the color after a few days and wanted a different car. They came in, traded the BMW and bought an IS in her color. Geeessss, what a costly thing to do to make a daughter and two car sales people happy people. There are also people like me that in recent years average less than 5K miles per year on any one vehicle, always keep the maintenance up, and tend to wash and detail them every week to-boot (that's where I'm headed now) -- we're the ones the dealers and next owner's love to know.

Good luck in your pursuit!
Old 11-07-13, 07:31 AM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your response.
I have another question…
Is the "December to Remember" sale worth waiting for if you are buying not leasing?

Thank you!
Old 11-07-13, 10:46 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aquafit2
Thank you for your response.
I have another question…
Is the "December to Remember" sale worth waiting for if you are buying not leasing?

Thank you!
YES!

i only buy our Lexus during these events:
1.Golden Opportunity Event ( Aug-Sept)
2. December to Remember ( Nov-Dec)

to answer your original post, forget the CPO. go with a New one.
I find it easier to haggle with a New vs a CPO/used. Weird right!
Old 11-07-13, 12:25 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

There's a $1750 bonus cash for new '13 RX350 leftovers. It will expire next week, but may or may not come back, or may be reduced.
Old 11-07-13, 01:44 PM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Get a new one.

I myself also find it's easier to haggle a new one versus a CPO one.
Old 11-07-13, 05:40 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

As to the low milage question. I had a 2008 Camry hybrid I bought new in Jan. 2008 and had 4000 miles on it (4 years old) when I traded it in for the new redo 2012 Camry hybrid in Jan. of 2012 and have only 600 miles on the 2012 now. Reasons: I got the 2008 because I figured my 98 Lesabre could go at any time and for the milage on the hybrid. I thought I might retire in 2012 and wanted to upgrade for the Nav, BSM, leather seats and higher milage on the 2012 Camry. I am still working and am now looking at the ES300h or the Avalon hybrid since they came out with them in 2013. Reasons: leather seats in 2012 are ultra suede and stickier than the cloth in the 2008 that I did not like and it rides worse than the 2008. I thought I would get used to them but I am not happy with them. Yes I want my grandfather's Oldsmoble floating on a cloud ride, not the racetrack ride all the reviewers seem to like. I have the 98 Lesabre I bought new in 97 still going great that I drive to work and most other places. It has 300K miles on it, going strong, and rides great and has nice slick leather seats. I do not worry about it in parking lots, in snow and such and if it gets another ding or bump it, it's still worth $500 and it gets 25MPG all the time. Any longer trips and we take the wife's Prius, 50+ MPG. BTW I have a 2010 450h also, a car for when her back gets to be bothersome for her and she has a hard time getting into the lower cars. I bought the 450h in June and have put 700 miles on it already. I should not have put that 200 miles on it the first day showing it to all of our relatives and letting them drive it.

Last edited by cavedawg; 11-08-13 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 06:16 PM
konradsa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Get a new one.

I myself also find it's easier to haggle a new one versus a CPO one.
Get a nice used one. You will save the 20% depreciation in the first year you will have with a new one. Try to find a low mileage, personally owned car (no loaner or fleet car).
Old 11-07-13, 08:01 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

unless you're paying Cash, the savings between a CPO/used and a New, when spread out into monthly payments, is likely $20-30/ month
Old 11-07-13, 09:42 PM
cavedawg
Rookie

If you are having a hard time finding one, you can go to

autotrader.com
or
cars.com
or
cargurus.com

put in your info and get the results and see prices to get an idea how they compare. You can put in year (from - to), make, model, color, new, used, price you will pay (leave blank to get all price listings) etc. You do not have to give name address etc. unless you want the dealer/person to contact you. These are the ones I use, but there are other sites I am sure.

Last edited by cavedawg; 11-07-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 05:16 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello , I'm new here and have been reading all your informative posts for a few days. I am looking at buying a 2013 rx350. I am set on white with a black interior and am having a hard time finding this combo. I did drive a white with parchment interior at my local dealership and I considered settling for it but the dealer wanted almost 44K for it. CPO, FWD, 6100 miles with nav, comf, prem w/blind spot mon. The dealer wouldn't even budge a penny off that price so I walked. I think you could almost get a brand new one for that price. Am I right? Also I'm curious where the dealers get these cars with such low miles? Do people really buy cars and only drive them 6000 miles and then trade them in?

Thanks for your help.

Ellen
I just purchased a new one like you described but had several other options on it which I really didn't need for $45.2K in south Florida. List price was $50.3K. In addition I received the $1750 credit for financing (only need to finance for 3 months, then can pay off.) I would buy a new one if you can find the right colors, by using one of the many sites that show dealer inventories.

Last edited by lester123; 11-08-13 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 06:41 AM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

Do you mind sharing the dealership that you bought from?

The dealership here in Tampa doesn't seem willing to make any good deals.

Thank you!
Old 11-08-13, 08:48 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Might be worth checking http://www.jmlexus.com in south Florida. Only a 3 hour drive from Tampa to the world’s number one volume Lexus dealer since 1992. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-08-13, 02:38 PM
Aquafit2
Driver School Candidate

So do you think I should try to take advantage of the cash back offer that they have now or wait until the December to remember sale?
Old 11-11-13, 06:40 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you mind sharing the dealership that you bought from?

The dealership here in Tampa doesn't seem willing to make any good deals.

Thank you!
I bought my rx350 from JM Lexus located close to Ft Lauderdale. They are the largest Lexus dealer in the world. Go on the website cars.com and you can see what is in their inventory now. If you are further interested, I can get you in touch with the internet person I used and I am rather certain you can make arrangements to get a similar deal as I received. They were great to work with.

Quick Reply: RX350 2013 CPO vs 2013 new