RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 05:00 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Truck?

So, in several threads I have seen the RX referred to as truck. What is that about? I think of the RX more carish than truckish.
Old 11-06-13, 05:26 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
So, in several threads I have seen the RX referred to as truck. What is that about? I think of the RX more carish than truckish.
The RX is a truck as reported by Toyota/Lexus to the world. See this as an example... Just go down to where the RX is positioned. http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...chart.download
Old 11-06-13, 05:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

For insurance purposes the RX is classified as a "wagon" if I remember correct. At least that is how State Farm has my RX listed. Did not things had changed any, though I see BertL's posting above. I guess it has as much to do about who is doing the referencing. Having the RX listed with the GX and LX does help the overall Lexus truck MPG numbers as required by the government.
Old 11-06-13, 06:42 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I started trying to refer to the RX as a truck a while back after following the monthy sales sticky thread that Hoovey creates here on CL in the Car Chat Forum each month. That is where I originally found the link to the Toyota/Lexus pressroom release and the current version of it I referenced in my previous post.

For those so inclined to understand "why" an RX is a truck, I won't try to rewrite the book here, but instead point you towards the Sherlock Holmes exploration I did a while back. It comes down to the US EPA designates the RX, GX, and LX as a "truck" vs a "car". This page may provide a starting point on your exploration. Keep reading and clicking and I suspect you'll come to the same conclusion Toyota/Lexus (and I) did.
Old 11-06-13, 06:56 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

I guess if Toyota HAD to call some vehicles a truck in the Lexus line to meet some fuel standard then I guess it makes some sense that the RX would be called a truck for that purpose.

I can tell you that if the government classified a buzzard a turkey we would NOT be having buzzard for Thanksgiving.

I don't think you will see me referring to our RX as a truck. SUV certainly but not truck.

Thanks for the answer however flimsy the justification might be.
Old 11-06-13, 07:41 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking It's a truck

The first time I heard my wife's RX referred to as a truck was from a car salesman friend of mine. When I asked why he called the RX a truck, he simply said that all the SUVs are parked on the lot with the trucks and therefore they too, were considered trucks. Fair enough, now my wife and I refer to her RX as her truck. Sometimes she calls it her trucky. Anyone who is resistant to calling their RX a truck should feel free to call it what it really is . . . . a station wagon with improved ground clearance.
Old 11-06-13, 08:50 PM
capcap
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own two trucks now and many more in the past, and our Lexus RX sure ain't one of them.
Old 11-06-13, 09:04 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StillLine
. . . . a station wagon with improved ground clearance.
My parents had a big yellow Dodge station wagon with the rear facing way-back seat and our RX ain't one of those either. Of course, that was over 55 years ago.
Old 11-06-13, 09:42 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
I guess if Toyota HAD to call some vehicles a truck in the Lexus line to meet some fuel standard then I guess it makes some sense that the RX would be called a truck for that purpose.

I can tell you that if the government classified a buzzard a turkey we would NOT be having buzzard for Thanksgiving.

I don't think you will see me referring to our RX as a truck. SUV certainly but not truck.

Thanks for the answer however flimsy the justification might be.
SUV is being generous.
It's a CUV, a crossover.
Old 11-07-13, 04:43 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
SUV is being generous.
It's a CUV, a crossover.
I'm with Mark on this one. I've always thought the reference to a RX as a truck was wrong. Where is the "truck bed" or the "truck cab"? The comparison is just archaic.
Old 11-07-13, 04:52 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, it's a truck. Just like a Suburban or an Expedition is a truck. Smaller, sleeker, more car-like, but it rides like a truck IMO.
Old 11-07-13, 09:16 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on how you define "truck" and you'd feel differently if you actually own a real truck (like DunWkg said, something with a truck bed and truck cab).

The RX is not a truck, it's not even based on a truck. It's based on the Camry platform, which it shares with the ES, Avalon, Venza, Sienna, and Highlander (which is also not a truck).

In 1998 when the orginal RX300 came out, it won Motortrend's new category of "SUV of the year" because it just didn't fit in either the Car or Truck category.

Like StillLine said, it has more in common with a wagon with the benefits of higher ground clearance.

Last edited by 07LexusGuy; 11-07-13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 10:41 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i completely agree with 07LexusGuy

if we say an SUV = Truck
then this is a truck!

Mini Cooper SUV ( Countryman)

Old 11-07-13, 10:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

LUV is what Lexus coined for the RX years back. I like it better than SUV or truck. On my registration it's listed as passenger. I know that's determined by weight.
Old 11-07-13, 01:37 PM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I call it our truck because that what it is to me; we haul the bikes in it; trips to home depot, etc...

I know we won't be putting any potting soil or landscaping rocks in my IS.

Quick Reply: Truck?