RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bluetooth Audio Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 05:30 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bluetooth Audio Won't Work

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to 5s.
I coeected the phone via Bluetooth as usual and I figured I was all set.

The phone works fine via Bluetooth but today when I tried to play audio through Bluetooth it said device unavailable or something like that. The 'BT" tab is lit up on the screen but for some reason it won't find my new phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 10-30-13, 06:52 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing you have a 10-12 RX? The audio player is paired separately in those cars. Go to the main menu. Click Setup. Click Audio. Click Registered devices. There will be a button that says delete. click this, then click on the audio player it has listed (this will be your old phone). Once it's deleted, click on register. At this point open your bluetooth menu on your phone, and you will see "car multimedia" will say disconnected. Click on Car multimedia, and it will connect.
The following users liked this post:
cherubkm (11-03-17)
Old 10-30-13, 08:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

And if you happen to plug in your iPhone, the audio will be routed to the iPod tab. It was a huge pain to figure out why my bluetooth sound was not getting through on a recent road trip, when I brought the USB cable along.
Otherwise, try hitting the volume **** to mute the sound. Sometimes having Enform app running in the background and switching to apps helps.

Typically, a reboot will fix the device unavailable problem. Also, delete your old phone from the pairing. I have 3 phones paired and it causes all kind of havok. I wish there was a priority set so if it detects my phone to switch to it automatically, both the calls and the sound.
BillLX450 (11-27-22)
Old 10-30-13, 10:41 AM
ejm3
Driver

Yes my RX is a 2010
Based on wha you guys are telling me it would seem I have to delete my old phone first.

I'll try that and see if it works.
Old 10-30-13, 11:34 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I also have a 2010 and deal with this issue on a daily basis. I actually have a iphone 4 but still have this issue. I know whats wrong but its so ****ing annoying going through these steps when it acts up. It sucks even more when it sometimes disconnects when i switch from bluetooth to radio and then when i try to go back to bluetooth it disconnects it.
Old 10-30-13, 01:36 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I find that the blutooth streaming quality is less compared to a cable.
This is why i prefer a wired set up with my iphone 5.
Better music and i get to charge the phone at the same time
Old 10-30-13, 04:13 PM
ejm3
Driver

I deleted all phones fo both phone and audio and then re-added my current 5s and it seems to work fine now.
Thanks for all your help.

The audio quality on BT isn't as good as a wired system but it's not terrible either. And pretty damn convenient.
taters (06-19-20)
Old 10-30-13, 06:11 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to the dealer and they set my new iPhone 5S up for the audio in my 2010. Bonus--Siri will give directions through the speakers. That's a good back up for the navigation system for new locations.
Old 11-03-17, 10:10 AM
cherubkm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thank you

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I'm guessing you have a 10-12 RX? The audio player is paired separately in those cars. Go to the main menu. Click Setup. Click Audio. Click Registered devices. There will be a button that says delete. click this, then click on the audio player it has listed (this will be your old phone). Once it's deleted, click on register. At this point open your bluetooth menu on your phone, and you will see "car multimedia" will say disconnected. Click on Car multimedia, and it will connect.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I have tried everything. We gave our 2010 to our son and the obviously spoiled kid was upset because he couldn't play music. WOW, would have never thought of that.
Old 11-26-19, 09:34 AM
Kennypink
Driver School Candidate

Default Right answer

That is 100% correct. Worked like a charm
Old 01-12-20, 08:26 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT Not connecting

I am going to jump into this thread, although my situation may be different. I have a 2013 450h bought new. This evening, phone (Samsung) would not connect to audio via BT. Car BT had the phone listed, and phone had the audio system listed, but no luck trying to re-connect either direction (I believe "Connection Failed" was the message on my phone). I turned the BT function on my phone off and on a few times with no improvement. Later on, after the car had been turned off, the BT icon was grayed out in the Setup menu of the audio system. When I arrived back home, as a final test, I turned the car off and back on, and everything connected and appeared to be normal. We'll see what happens in the AM.
On this same trip and probably unrelated, since the BT was down, I was listening to some tunes on a USB stick through the USB port in the console. I went over a small bump and the USB jumped back to the first song on the stick, not just the first one in that album. Maybe just a loose connection?
And to anticipate a followup question: none of these devices are new; I've been using the phone in the car for a little over 2 years and the USB stick for maybe a year.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-25-20, 09:57 AM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just found this at Walmart (yes it was clearance!) but it only plays through the driver front speaker. when I fade to the right/rear it's completely silent (some subwoofer coming through).
Is this common with very cheap devices? I have seen others post almost the same style device with good reviews.

thanks!

Old 05-26-20, 08:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MJImport
I just found this at Walmart (yes it was clearance!) but it only plays through the driver front speaker. when I fade to the right/rear it's completely silent (some subwoofer coming through).
Is this common with very cheap devices? I have seen others post almost the same style device with good reviews.

thanks!

You might want to read some of the reviews about it: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wireless-...BoCHkAQAvD_BwE
Old 07-27-21, 08:54 PM
Yarran
Driver School Candidate

Default Unable to find the audio option

My car is Lexus RX450H Prestige my11. Phone is connected but only for calls and I can't see audio option in the setup menu.
Old 09-24-21, 04:58 PM
rayhz1
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a 2013 RX450h, with Levinson stereo. In the settings/media menu it should show BT as an option. I had to pair it separate to the phone for BT audio though

As an aside, I put an app on my Samsung Note phone, Neutron. its available for both Ios and android. Well worth it as it comfortably plays the better music files, Flac etc, and the audio improvement is great