RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 07:31 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my dealer set my RX so that all 4 windows would roll down when I held the button for 2 seconds, but not the moonroof. I don't feel the moonroof needs to open, only the windows.
Old 10-29-13, 09:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

rx350drivr, let me see if I can briefly respond to some of your questions.

1. Speed-detecting automatic door lock function (Default : Off) <== There is a separate customization called "Shifting gears to position other than P locks all doors". So then, what is this?
Basically all the doors will lock when you shift into drive and start driving. Lexus was a little behind American car companies on offering this feature.

2. Smart door unlocking (Default : Driver's side) <== There is a customization called "Shifting gears to P unlocks all doors". So what is this?
All the doors unlock when you shift into park. Definitely would not recommend this setting for safety reasons.

3. Smart access system with push-button start (Default : On) <== What is the 'Smart Access System'?
It refers to the key fob's ability to do more than unlock a door, like open windows, Take a look at the video here.

4. Power back door opening operation using the back door opener button (Default : Off) <== It seems to be ON by default for me. Meaning, the hatch opens when I use the fob or the button inside the vehicle. Why would anyone want it OFF? Perhaps I do not understand what this refers to.
Personal preference I guess. I'd leave the feature enabled and just use the button inside the glove box to prevent the tail gate from opening (i.e. when using a bike rack).

5. Operation when the doors are unlocked (Default : On) <== What is meant by 'Operation'?
Probably refers to the fact the doors have to be unlocked first before being able to open the tail gate.

6. Exhaust gas sensor sensitivity (Default : standard) <== When should one change this?
That's new to me. Maybe someone else can answer.

7. Driver’s seat movement when exiting the vehicle on some models (Default : Full) <== What is the difference between 'Full' and 'Partial'?
Full means the seat will go all the way back when you turn off the RX . Partial is maybe halfway. Or you can turn it off completely.

8. Selecting whether the driver’s door or all doors are linked to the power easy access system (Default : Driver’s door) <== What is the 'Power Easy Access system'?
Also refers to the seats. Click here for more information. It may have been modified since then. Someone else will have to chime in.

I'd take the list of features you can program and go sit in the RX while it's parked in the driveway. Go through the settings to see what you like. The vehicle has be turned on to view and make any changes. And always hit save on the bottom.
Old 10-29-13, 11:34 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. Smart door unlocking (Default : Driver's side)
I think this is when you touch the door to unlock it - it either opens the driver's door only, or all doors.

5. Operation when the doors are unlocked (Default : On) <== What is meant by 'Operation'?
This is under the "Illumination" section. My assumption on this is:
ON = lights come on when you unlock the doors (interior lights,puddle lamps,etc.)
OFF = they don't

6. Exhaust gas sensor sensitivity (Default : standard) <== When should one change this?
I think (from the owner's manual), this has to do with the automatic setting of the AC. Sometimes, it'll change to RECIRC mode instead of Outside Air Mode based on this setting (as well as other settings). From the looks of it, you can change this setting yourself within the climate control settings.
Automatic air intake change mode
In automatic mode, the system automatically switches between recirculated air and outside air modes according to whether the system detects harmful substances such as exhaust gas in the air outside. If automatic mode is selected when only the fans are operating, the air conditioning system will turn on automatically.

8. Selecting whether the driver’s door or all doors are linked to the power easy access system (Default : Driver’s door) <== What is the 'Power Easy Access system'?
On Page 95 of the manual (http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_01-04.pdf). It does have to do with the driving position memory (as the other post suggests)

This post is just my guess. I don't have my 2014 yet (waiting on a color combo I want). Reading through the customization settings in the manual is a joke for many settings - there are many that are confusing or just aren't explained enough.
Old 10-29-13, 11:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
2. Smart door unlocking (Default : Driver's side)
I think this is when you touch the door to unlock it - it either opens the driver's door only, or all doors.

This is under the "Illumination" section. My assumption on this is:
ON = lights come on when you unlock the doors (interior lights,puddle lamps,etc.)
OFF = they don't

I think (from the owner's manual), this has to do with the automatic setting of the AC. Sometimes, it'll change to RECIRC mode instead of Outside Air Mode based on this setting (as well as other settings). From the looks of it, you can change this setting yourself within the climate control settings.
Automatic air intake change mode
In automatic mode, the system automatically switches between recirculated air and outside air modes according to whether the system detects harmful substances such as exhaust gas in the air outside. If automatic mode is selected when only the fans are operating, the air conditioning system will turn on automatically.

On Page 95 of the manual (http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_01-04.pdf). It does have to do with the driving position memory (as the other post suggests)

This post is just my guess. I don't have my 2014 yet (waiting on a color combo I want). Reading through the customization settings in the manual is a joke for many settings - there are many that are confusing or just aren't explained enough.

Believe you are 100% right on with all points.
Old 12-26-13, 08:23 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecr72
A family friend did this on his LS 460 a while back after parking his car and going in to a restaurant for dinner. One problem... he lives in Florida and it was pouring rain. He has since had Lexus disable this feature but it's doubtful the car will ever be the same with that much water inside.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Ouch! All I got to say. That "feature" should be turned OFF by default.
Old 02-03-14, 06:58 PM
GsDreamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I just got my 2 gen gs its a 2001 but the issue I have is I had disconnected the battery to do some electrical work right. Once done plugged battery back up, but now every time I
Close driver door I walk away and all my windows roll down . Including the sunroof, I know it's a feature of the vehicle but the funny thing is that I don't own the remote key . My key is just a plain key, I do plan on getting the remote key but for now that I don't , can anyone assist me with help on fixing this issue . Thanks
Old 02-03-14, 07:21 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rx350drivr
After reading the incident mentioned by ecr72, I personally think it better to disable this function. Opening all door locks at the same time seems useful. But I cannot think of a need to open all windows and moonroof at the same time. After reading the various replies, I also get the feeling that people who have experienced this are not entirely convinced that it was their mistake. I have decided to get this disabled to be on the safe side.
If you keep the fob in your pants pocket it's a good idea to have this feature disabled. I had a '09 Lexus ES350, and while at a 4th of July party I returned to my car to find the sun roof & windows open. There were bottle rockets and air born fireworks being lit. Luckily no damage and I immediately had that feature disabled and will do so again on my '14 RX350.
Old 10-21-14, 07:40 PM
Mrbelan
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Mysterious opening Windows & sunroof

I just purchase a preowned RX350, 2011

A week following the purchase, one morning i found the Windows and sun roof wide open.

Things being bad it is pouring rain and been running for hours. All the interior is soak wet.

Few days later screen is lighting all kind of défect. Motor, slip signal etc.

Not having a local Lexus dealer, my repair shop scan over 25 codes. Hé erase them but one
Stll coming back. Oxygen sensor code PO 138. And a message to check AWD

Question should i drive return 5 hours to the nearest Lexus dealer or get my repair shop to do
The repair.

The actual Km is les then 49k
Old 10-22-14, 07:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure about your warranty in Canada. That's a call you'll have to make yourself but they would probably be the best equipped to fix it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-23-14, 08:41 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbelan
I just purchase a preowned RX350, 2011

A week following the purchase, one morning i found the Windows and sun roof wide open.

Things being bad it is pouring rain and been running for hours. All the interior is soak wet.

Few days later screen is lighting all kind of défect. Motor, slip signal etc.

Not having a local Lexus dealer, my repair shop scan over 25 codes. Hé erase them but one
Stll coming back. Oxygen sensor code PO 138. And a message to check AWD

Question should i drive return 5 hours to the nearest Lexus dealer or get my repair shop to do
The repair.

The actual Km is les then 49k
Disconnect the battery and see if it resets it. I wouldn't think the rain be able to flood ECUs as they typically sit higher from the floor or under the hood. Moisture can affect wiring, which could potentially disrupt CANBUS communication, and that would trigger all kind of problems. It should go away once everything had dried-out though.
If your vehicle is still under warranty, it could be prudent to drive to the dealer, to get these problems addressed.
They may not be related to rain at all.
Old 10-23-14, 04:05 PM
pokemon
Driver School Candidate

Can I disable this feature myself thru the setting on the 2015 model or it has to be done by the Lexus dealer? Please post the procedure if available.
Old 10-23-14, 06:08 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pokemon
Can I disable this feature myself thru the setting on the 2015 model or it has to be done by the Lexus dealer? Please post the procedure if available.
This is a dealer-only option. You can disable windows, moonroof, or both.
I have disabled the moonroof, but left windows active.
Old 10-23-14, 06:48 PM
pokemon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
This is a dealer-only option. You can disable windows, moonroof, or both.
I have disabled the moonroof, but left windows active.
Thank you very much.
Old 12-28-14, 07:42 AM
recycled
Rookie

Default Windows and sunroof all went to open...

Not sure if this is due to the fact that I was carrying two sets of remote keys or not but parked outside found all four windows and sunroof open. Now this situation had not existed for long as it had been raining and there was no rain in the car.

Why would this happen? Possibly because I had two sets of keys in my pocket? What does it take to replicate this so I can avoid it happening again!?
Guy
Old 12-28-14, 08:33 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

If you have them in your pocket and the unlock button is accidently held down this could open all windows & sunroof. You could have sat down with both sets in a pocket and another key presses against the unlock button rolling the windows down. Only takes a couple of seconds. I've seen it happen when someone sets their alarm off the same way,not meaning to.

Quick Reply: Mysterious opening of all windows and moonroof