RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to reset oil warning message

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 04:14 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to reset oil warning message

A mechanic at the Lexus dealer showed me how to reset (remove) the oil change warning message on the gps screen. It has something to do with pushing the A/B odometer buttons when the engine is not running. Unfortunately I did not write it down nor do I remember it. Anybody knows?
Old 10-10-13, 05:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

It's in the FAQ thread:

Display trip meter A, then turn power off.
While pressing the ODO/TRIP button, turn the power switch to on mode.
Keep the ODO/TRIP button pressed for about five seconds. Reset is complete when 000000 in the trip meter flashes once and the message in the multi-information display disappears.

Now mine will turn on tomorrow, LOL!
Old 10-10-13, 05:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

It is on page 472 of your Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf
Old 10-11-13, 11:10 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
It's in the FAQ thread:

Display trip meter A, then turn power off.
While pressing the ODO/TRIP button, turn the power switch to on mode.
Keep the ODO/TRIP button pressed for about five seconds. Reset is complete when 000000 in the trip meter flashes once and the message in the multi-information display disappears.

Now mine will turn on tomorrow, LOL!
Thanks Anita.
Old 10-14-13, 02:34 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
It is on page 472 of your Owner's Manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf
funny how no one ever reads the book !
Old 10-14-13, 12:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tromly
Was one of the first things I did when I got my RX. I even have multiple copies of the Owner's Manual. One in the car, one in the office library here at the house and an electronic PDF copy I pieced together which I keep on my tablet for reference. I also routinely use the Lexus web site to search for answers to questions from folks here in the OM specific to the poster. Easy to select any year or model.

Reading the OM has gotten me into trouble with the local dealerships. During orientation, a group event put on for new owners, I was asking questions they were not expecting or did not care that I was asking. For example, when they stated that all Lexus should run premium fuel I was asking why it stated in the OM that my RX (2004 RX330) only required regular. When I was bringing my RX in for service I was asking questions of the service writer and service manager about such things as why they were not doing five tire rotations as discussed in my year's OM. Was regularly told that the OM was wrong. Needless to say, Lexus printed the same thing the following year.

Still, it is the best source of information available to owners. I guess no one wants to go into the garage or outside to retrieve the good book and instead find it easier to just ask here. Which is why I like to answer by pointing to the page number and perhaps providing the URL to that segment of their OM so that they have to go read it for themselves.
Old 10-14-13, 02:35 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Still, it is the best source of information available to owners. I guess no one wants to go into the garage or outside to retrieve the good book and instead find it easier to just ask here. Which is why I like to answer by pointing to the page number and perhaps providing the URL to that segment of their OM so that they have to go read it for themselves.
By the time I am finish reading the manual, its time to buy another car.
Old 10-14-13, 03:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
By the time I am finish reading the manual, its time to buy another car.
It's still a great cure for insomnia I presume all went well with resetting the oil change light. And my light didn't come on after all.

Was one of the first things I did when I got my RX. I even have multiple copies of the Owner's Manual. One in the car, one in the office library here at the house and an electronic PDF copy I pieced together which I keep on my tablet for reference. I also routinely use the Lexus web site to search for answers to questions from folks here in the OM specific to the poster. Easy to select any year or model.
How about we just ask you instead of pulling out the owners manual I read through mine when i first got the RXh, well enough to find a typo. The good book was relegated to a shelf a long time ago. It's much easier to find answers here.

Last edited by kitlz; 10-14-13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 06:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

How about we just ask you instead of pulling out the owners manual I read through mine when i first got the RXh, well enough to find a typo. The good book was relegated to a shelf a long time ago. It's much easier to find answers here.
Do not think the answers I might provide would be appreciated by some. Much of what I have needed out of my Owner's Manual has been committed to memory for now. As for the questions on other years of production, all I am doing is going to the Lexus web site and searching where to find the info. Something anyone can do even if they do not own a Lexus. Usually I am not providing a full answer. Trying to teach folks, as much as possible, to use the resource(s) Lexus provided them. Sure, there are times when someone comes here looking for a clarification of something they saw in the OM or cannot find the info they need in there. But if you are coming to CL for something which would take you only moments to lookup in the OM then you are lazy and should be ashamed. At least make an effort.

Of course this only applies to basic OM questions and I am happy to share what I know that hasn't been lost over the years. I can still field strip and reassemble a carburetor on the kitchen counter, however, there is not much of a need for things like that anymore.
Old 10-15-13, 09:44 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

It's still a great cure for insomnia I presume all went well with resetting the oil change light. And my light didn't come on after all.
It was actually reset by a mechanic at the dealer but I posted the question anyway. I know it will happen again. In my opinion, a sequence of button pushes to reset the warning message is a poor design. And I thought this is an unpublished operation only known to Lexus mechanics. There should be a starightforward way or button to reset the warning message. After all it comes on periodically. Thanks again Anita and RX330.

As for manuals, I do read them... if I am trying to find info on something. To read it from cover to cover... I don't have the time nor memory retention to do that. Sigh.
Old 10-16-13, 10:00 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
I still havent. Love this forum!