RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Obsidian a mistake?

Old 10-14-13, 08:00 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you ALL for your input.
Reading all of this points me towards another color. I still absolutely love the look of the black one, but may have to go back to a dealer and look at other combinations. I think I'm leaning more towards a different color now, but who knows.. I'm sure I would get the obsidian detailed when needed and I would try to wash it correctly, but I don't want to go to the garage on most days and tell myself "what was I thinking...I should have listened". The wife doesn't like white cars and her car is silver so we wanted a different color. As for the stargazer (which I thought I'd like), it's just too "metallic flake-y" for my tastes. I think if they put less flakes in it, it'd be a nice color. She liked the Red and the Nebula Gray as her 2 choices. I liked the Red ok, but it's going to be my everyday car and thought Red would be too girly for me. Looking at the Nebula Gray and Obsidian side by side just sold me on the looks of the Obsidian. Just looked so much sharper.
Once again, thank you so much for your input. It's much appreciated. Once I finally decide on color and can find the one I want, I'm sure I'll post pics in rollcall. Now to go pull my hair out once more...
Old 10-14-13, 10:39 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I will never buy black again! I regret it so much. Though it looks great when clean its not worth the trouble imo. If i could go back i would have bought a Starfire Pearl instead. If you really want black then get Stargazer. I will wash the car and by the time im done applying tire shine (last step) the car already has dust all over it. Drives me crazy! Even though i take good care of my Obsidian RX it still has swirls. The Lexus dealer washed mine once and i was so mad cuz it looked as if the guys washing my RX used a Scotch Brite pad to wash my car.
Old 10-14-13, 11:07 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mors
Thank you ALL for your input.
Reading all of this points me towards another color. I still absolutely love the look of the black one, but may have to go back to a dealer and look at other combinations. I think I'm leaning more towards a different color now, but who knows.. I'm sure I would get the obsidian detailed when needed and I would try to wash it correctly, but I don't want to go to the garage on most days and tell myself "what was I thinking...I should have listened". The wife doesn't like white cars and her car is silver so we wanted a different color. As for the stargazer (which I thought I'd like), it's just too "metallic flake-y" for my tastes. I think if they put less flakes in it, it'd be a nice color. She liked the Red and the Nebula Gray as her 2 choices. I liked the Red ok, but it's going to be my everyday car and thought Red would be too girly for me. Looking at the Nebula Gray and Obsidian side by side just sold me on the looks of the Obsidian. Just looked so much sharper.
Once again, thank you so much for your input. It's much appreciated. Once I finally decide on color and can find the one I want, I'm sure I'll post pics in rollcall. Now to go pull my hair out once more...
Go with your gut. you don't want to have the "what IF? " scenario.
a family friend ONLY buys black colored cars.
He emailed most of the detailers here in SoCal and offered them a 1 yr commitment for a discounted price on car wash and detailing.
Most don't offer it BUT if you offer to pre-pay it for a whole year, ALL establishments happily considered.

He's paying $375.00/month for unlimited car wash (by hand) with 2 details a months.
Old 10-14-13, 11:56 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

$4,500.00 a year for car washing?
After spending about $200.00 for the tools to do a car wash correctly, it takes me about 15 minutes to do my car, if I take my time. Maybe twice a year I might spend 30 minutes.
Even at 30 minutes, he is paying $375 an hour, which is doctor/lawyer rates, but he thinks it is a "discounted rate."
A full "detail" is a bigger job than a car wash, of course, but it does not need to be done every 14 days. Every 6 months is more like it.
Something is very wrong here. (And by "here," of course, I mean "there." But since "there" is Southern California . . . )
Old 10-14-13, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

It all depends on what the demands are on your time...
Old 10-14-13, 12:04 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Yeah, I don't think I want to pay 375 a month to wash/detail a car. I don't mind paying for a full detail however often is needed, and I'm sure I can find 30 minutes to wash my car using ONR and 2/3 bucket method that has been mentioned. From what I've read though (on this topic and others) is that you may get swirls no matter how careful you are. I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards another color. The only thing holding me back is that I love the look of the black RX.
Old 10-14-13, 12:29 PM
tfischer

Mors is incorrect when he states " that you may get swirls no matter how careful you are." If you wash it correctly, you will not get swirls. That's what "correctly" means. ("Careful" is a part of "Correct.")
Spend some time over on the autopia detailers forum where the professionals discuss what they do, and you will surely pick up some good tips about caring for a car, especially the finish and the best products to use.
Old 10-14-13, 12:48 PM
Mors
Pole Position

Thanks tfischer. I've been reading about black cars and caring for them too much I think. Many conflicting things, but most people state it's tough to care for them. I've only seen about 1 of 10 people say they are glad they chose black and have little to no issues with it.
Old 10-14-13, 01:16 PM
tfischer

Sure, black is harder to take care of because it shows dirt, water spots and paint imperfections more readily than other colors, but correctly taking care of it is not the nightmare tale told by those who are using crappy tools and inappropriate washing techniques. Just recently I saw my neighbor in her driveway washing her car: not only was she only using one bucket and some dirty surely-not-microfibre towels laying on the driveway, but she had the bucket sitting up on the hood of the car. Some people just don't care, and they should all get beige cars that are almost the same color as dirt. That should be a state law.
Old 10-14-13, 06:35 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

"Some people just don't care...."

This is true, but it is also true some people read the manual and the 2014 RXh manual says,
Obsidian a mistake?-cleaning.jpg

No where does it mention two bucket method, microfiber towels, etc. It does at least warn of auto-car washes in a later paragraph. Frankly I can't imagine using those instructions to maintain a 60 thousand dollar Lexus.

Some people do not hang out on forums such as AutoGeek, Autopia, Adam's or wherever and they know nothing, or very little, of concerned car care. Many folks have no idea what a swirl is nor why it can be considered a paint defect or something that detracts from the appearance of the car. I don't fault them for that. Although I do enjoy watching someone wash their car at a gas pump using the sponge and squeegee using dirty water.

Some, perhaps, all current Lexus paint is soft, the Obsidian on my car is soft and it is time consuming to maintain the exterior of my car. When I hand wash the body and door jambs, scrub the wheels and wheel wells, dry with a leaf blower I've spent two to three hours hours. I would probably spend that much time cleaning a red, white or grey car, just perhaps less often than obsidian.
Old 10-15-13, 04:11 AM
euroja153
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike in the US, Lexus Canada only offers certain interior exterior colour combos, we love beige interior, so our exterior options were Obsidian, White and there was a greyish purple (cant remember the name). To cut a long story short, we chose Obsidian, we wished we chose white instead. I feel like washing my car today, but I cant be bothered because its going to look dirty in a days time.
Old 10-16-13, 08:31 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Mica which is kind of dark with some bluish tinge. Never had problem with swirls even with commercial car washes.
Old 10-16-13, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

My 2010 ES was truffle mica, its pretty good at hiding swirls. They're there, especially if you're using commercial car washes, but the color hides them well.
Old 10-16-13, 08:40 AM
tfischer

When Leo says: "Never had problem with swirls even with commercial car washes," I note that this is not the same as saying "Never had swirls with commercial car washes." As noted above, if you use "commercial" car washes, then you have swirl marks in the paint.
Old 10-16-13, 09:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have to chuckle when I read things like this David You could write the book on maintaining obsidian paint. As a former black RX owner myself, I won't buy another no matter how sexy it looks. It never lasts! And I have a bad enough time dealing with OCD, no thanks to places like this
Attached Thumbnails Obsidian a mistake?-cleaning.jpg  

Last edited by kitlz; 10-16-13 at 09:14 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obsidian a mistake?